Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:03 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times

Advertisements

It's sickening and pathetic that people (on either side) would try and turn this into a partisan issue. I sure hope our leaders do what's best for the country, not their political ties

Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
I'll bite on this topic without using political party nor political sides. First off, yes, it's wrong for either the rebels or the official government to use such weapons. I believe they confirmed such weapons were used, but by which side? Second, while Assad is not a nice guy, neither are the rebels who are made up of members of terrorist organizations. Do we really want to put another terrorist organization in charge of a nation again? Third, dropping bombs on chemical weapons stockpiles will not destroy the weapons. It'll disperse them to the surrounding area. The materials must be incinerated at high temperatures to be destroyed. Fourth, our allies have said no to joining us in such an attack. Fifth, some Arab nations are making talks to try to handle the Syria situation themselves. This is preferable because they share the same religion, similar culture, and if it comes to them making war upon each other, it'll attrack all the nutjob terrorist looking for a fight. Sure the price of oil will go up, but so would the number of Muslim terrorist deaths. Sixth, it's not wise for a US President who closed White House tours, canceled performances by the Navy's Blue Angels, and proposed other shut downs due to the nation's budget would decide to commit to a war when we still have troops in Afghanistan and near Iraq. With troops having served so many long tours in combat, this isn't the time to join in what is basically a civil war. This happened before in Korea and Vietnam. Don't let it happen again.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Why are liberals *for* going to war with Syria? Is it because the boy king wants it?
This vote would almost be comical if it weren't so serious. There is the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do and it's debatable what that is. Then there is political thing to do, if this vote is along party lines then that is really just sad. Clearly you're going to have many legislators on both sides of the aisle voting politics instead of what they think is the correct course.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
I am against it because I despise the Syrian rebels. They are affiliated with al-qaeda and want to transform Syria from a secular nation to a radical Islamic state. The country I most hate, Saudi Arabia, wants us to bomb Syria. They want to turn Syria into another Saudi and force women to wear burqas.

As for George W Bush he was not a conservative he was a neo-conservative. You liberals used to throw that term around all the time and 99% of you had no idea what it meant. You actually thought it meant an extreme conservative. No it means a liberal at heart who is mostly concerned with war monging and involving our military in other countries as much as possible. There are tons of neo-liberals very few liberals call them out on it.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I believe they confirmed such weapons were used, but by which side?
They have to have intel pointing to Assad, I don't see the Obama administration coming out so forcefully without it. Clearly if the rebels did it that would take Obama off the hook for his "red line" comment so why would he put himself in this situation?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 AM

510 posts, read 430,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
I mean, IT'S WHAT DUBYA Would've done...
Why are liberals FOR war against Syria? I mean, IT'S WHAT THEY WOULD HAVE HATED IF DUBYA had done it...

Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
The hapless Republicans, currently in a free fall, oppose ANY move by this President. They don't know why they oppose, they just do, since they have nothing of value to add as usual.

By seeking Congressional approval, President Obama once again, kicks their arses. He is forcing them to have a say here, with the entire world watching. This eliminates their complaining. Face it, Pubs, this President is far your superior. It's really quite enjoyable to watch.

Congress could approve military action, and this President then choose NOT to take it. I suspect that his response to Syria has been planned for many months. Other nations may get involved and impose some other non-military action onto Syria, with a military action being only a small component. This President is smart.

Whatever the case, CHANGE is coming to Syria, and it won't be brought about by the Neanderthal methods of Dubya and the Republicans. It will be brought about by a brilliant President of the United States, a black man, in a manner just as effective as his implementation in getting Bin Laden.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They have to have intel pointing to Assad, I don't see the Obama administration coming out so forcefully without it. Clearly if the rebels did it that would take Obama off the hook for his "red line" comment so why would he put himself in this situation?
He wants to be in this situation. the powers that be want us to attack Syria no matter what and they will come up with any type of intel to justify itt.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
I mean, IT'S WHAT DUBYA Would've done...
Obama wants to make a limited incursion into Syria to take out Syrias Chemical weapons capabilities and not to engage in a protracted war. .
The reasons the conservatives are against this is simply because Its what Obama wants to do.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
This vote would almost be comical if it weren't so serious.
Exactly.

Everyone has forgotten that Russia has a base in Syria and O is having a feud with Putin. NO ONE cares about Syria. It's about O being dissed by Putin.

What everyone has also forgotten is this: Putin has nuclear weapons. Had Reagan attacked a proxy state of the Soviet Union in the 1980's, the leftists would all be banging their spoons on the tray of their high-chairs about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies