Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,981,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
Why is it when I see this I keep thinking of "The Boston Tea Party" and why it was all that tea was dumped into the water.
In the words of Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear:

Quote:
So, to those more worried about political power than Kentucky’s families, I say, “Get over it.”

The Affordable Care Act was approved by Congress and sanctioned by the Supreme Court. It is the law of the land.

Get over it ... and get out of the way so I can help my people. Here in Kentucky, we cannot afford to waste another day or another life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,620,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
If I remember correctly something like 1/3rd or less in this country supported the King.

The tea baggers are far fewer than you think.
The Boston Tea Party was not held in support of the King, they were against the King taking money and dictating to this country; they had not been given the independence to govern themselves. They were not going to pay tax on that tea that was shipped over. So they dumped it off the ship and into the water.

"No taxation without representation."

So 1/3rd or less was in support of the King. right? (using your words and deductive reasoning) Those would be the ones' that are not the tea baggers of history, yes? 1/3rd or less wanted to be dictated to by the King and were willing to pay him taxes to continue his rule here, as well as there. 1/3 or less did not show up for the party.

In all reality many people do not understand what today's Tea Party is all about. I'm beginning to wonder if the Tea Party even knows what they are all about.

The people of today are doing a reverse order of things with the government and are enabling the government (king rule) to dictate to them what they can and can not do with the money they earn, and they are all for it. It baffles the mind.

Like I said, those who fought for the Independence of a Nation, from a government dictating rule, did so in vain. The American people are giving all their freedoms back, they don't want them any more. All the while they are singing, how free I am. (1/3 or less)

Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In the words of Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear:
So, when the government borrows on your money as they have Medicare and Social Security and they don't pay it back....how will lives be saved then?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Reading this thread I'm reminded of the President's statement yesterday: "Of course, the closer we've gotten to this date, the more irresponsible folks who are opposed to this law have become."
Yes, I want to do the irresponsible thing and not go to work. I want my social security number scrubbed out of the social system. I want to be free of the chains the government has placed around my neck.

I am tired now. To exhausted to work the fields.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,981,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
So, when the government borrows on your money as they have Medicare and Social Security and they don't pay it back....how will lives be saved then?
The U.S.G. borrows and replaced those funds with U.S. government bonds. When and if SSA is paying more than they are receiving, they will cash in those bonds to pay obligations.

It’s also worth noting that even if the trust fund is exhausted and no other financing provided, Social Security will be able to pay about three-quarters of scheduled benefits, which would mean real benefits higher than it pays now. I don’t want to see that happen, but it’s worth keeping in perspective — especially when you look at the solutions “reformers” propose, which all seem to involve reducing future benefits relative to those currently scheduled.

Let's not discuss SSA and Medicare as if they are the same. They are not. SSA doesn't contribute to the deficit at all.

Medicare's problems are the same as private insurance, rising health care costs. Private health insurance is unsustainable if HC costs rise above inflation.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,017 times
Quote:
Yes, I want to do the irresponsible thing and not go to work.
You clearly didn't read the message you relied to.
Quote:
Reading this thread I'm reminded of the President's statement yesterday: "Of course, the closer we've gotten to this date, the more irresponsible folks who are opposed to this law have become."
The irresponsible thing referred to was obstruction of the law. I'm sorry that you're having such trouble understanding that.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,649,042 times
I have health insurance my job offers it for now. If i did not have health insurance I can not afford it and would have to get another job to come up with the extra money.I make to much to get any help i just make enough so i do not qualify

I know my company i work for might drop heath insurance if than can find away. The CEO is the Bernie madoff type so you never know what will happen.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,889,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I have health insurance my job offers it for now. If i did not have health insurance I can not afford it and would have to get another job to come up with the extra money.I make to much to get any help i just make enough so i do not qualify

I know my company i work for might drop heath insurance if than can find away. The CEO is the Bernie madoff type so you never know what will happen.
I see, you make over $80k and you are young, yet can't afford to pay for Ins of about $300 per month? OooooKkkkkAaaaaaYyyyyy.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM

47,022 posts, read 26,105,816 times
Quote:
They were not going to pay tax on that tea that was shipped over. So they dumped it off the ship and into the water.
Interestingly, in the real world, the Tea Act substantially lowered taxes on tea to the Colonies.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The U.S.G. borrows and replaced those funds with U.S. government bonds. When and if SSA is paying more than they are receiving, they will cash in those bonds to pay obligations.

It’s also worth noting that even if the trust fund is exhausted and no other financing provided, Social Security will be able to pay about three-quarters of scheduled benefits, which would mean real benefits higher than it pays now. I don’t want to see that happen, but it’s worth keeping in perspective — especially when you look at the solutions “reformers” propose, which all seem to involve reducing future benefits relative to those currently scheduled.

Let's not discuss SSA and Medicare as if they are the same. They are not. SSA doesn't contribute to the deficit at all.

Medicare's problems are the same as private insurance, rising health care costs. Private health insurance is unsustainable if HC costs rise above inflation.
With the rising health care costs, we are taxed more out of our pay checks in order to cover those costs.

You are right, they are not the same, yet they are the same, as both are borrowed from by our government and both are broke and those funds have been allocated to other areas, where ever the government feels the need to spend.

Trustees Report Summary

And the largest owner of U.S Bonds goes to China. China is the largest stockholder of the United States Bonds and they continue to buy our debts. With interest rates now being the new gold, it isn't hard to figure out the benefits to China.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...uments/mfh.txt

Social Security benefits are entirely self-financing.

What Happened to the $2.6 Trillion Social Security Trust Fund? - Forbes

"“Social Security benefits are entirely self-financing. They are paid for with payroll taxes collected from workers and their employers throughout their careers. These taxes are placed in a trust fund dedicated to paying benefits owed to current and future beneficiaries. … Even though Social Security began collecting less in taxes than it paid in benefits in 2010, the trust fund will continue to accrue interest and grow until 2025, and will have adequate resources to pay full benefits for the next 26 years.”
<snipped>
""If the budget crisis has done nothing else, it has exposed the decades-long lie about the solvency of the Social Security trust fund. The trust fund may be backed by the “full faith and credit of the federal government,” as defenders constantly remind us, but if it had real assets the president wouldn’t be talking about seniors missing their checks.""
I saw a televised segment once that showed a room full of people all with phones and they call foreign governments and ask to borrow their money. That's their job and its operation is 24/7.

Tell me why it is they need to do that, when they have yours and my (our) money to work with. They continue to increase their revenue by increasing our taxes, yet in the end, they never have enough.

Basic math, that does not make sense.

PS: I forgot this one:
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34314.pdf
Page 2 Summary

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 09-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: ps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies