Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
It's always the same with fascists.

I mean, did the guy say anything hateful, or particularly horrible? What he said was perfectly reasonable IMO.
He said he didn't want gays to buy his pasta. Gays said "OK, we won't." So what's the problem?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Why should they be portrayed? They are an extreme minority, GLOBALLY.

I think Miley Cyrus sucks beyond belief...and I like a 100 other female artists that I believe are 100 times more talented than her...So, does that mean they should be perpetuated through the social media in the same regard as Miley? No, because nobody gives a sh*t about who I want to see on TV..unless, of course, I fall in with what is widely accepted.
I never said that gays "should" be portrayed on TV or anywhere else. Why do these CEOs find it purposefully necessary to come out and say that they won't. I think that's hateful. Just shut your mouth. No one is asking for anyone you don't like to be in your commercials, but do you think it's PC to go around saying that? Don't you think if he mentioned blacks that people wouldn't be all up in arms? Give me a break, they would be parading down the street.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM

2,964 posts, read 3,533,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He came back almost immediately and issued an apology. Seems someone told him that making such statements is not good for business.
If he wants to say that he prefers to use a hetereosexual family, that's his right to do so. Barilla is popular among families and that's who they want to appeal to. I support gay rights, but seeing two guys together eating pasta isn't going to encourage me to buy that pasta brand because I'm interested in women. Don't force a certain lifestyle on other people; I support the live and let live philosophy, but others (including you based on your posts) want to force your thoughts on others who don't agree with you. That is the tyranny of liberal Americans.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
This was not a public statement of some sort .... it was an interview, with the interviewer directing the questions. It all started with a question about the recent statement before Parliament by the new Speaker of the Lower House - she is a strong proponent of Women's rights in Italy. She objects to using women in advertisements doing things like "cook" or "clean" or "serve food to her family".

Quote:
The interview started by asking Barilla what he thought of an appeal made on Tuesday by the speaker of the lower house of parliament, Laura Boldrini, to change the often stereotypical image of women in Italian advertisements.

"There are some adverts … which, when I see them, I think, 'but would this advert be broadcast in other countries? In the United Kingdom would this advert be broadcast?" said Boldrini. "And the answer is certainly not. An advert in which the children and father are all sitting down and the mother is serving at the table cannot be accepted as normal."
Boldrini is the interviewer ... he claims that an advert in the UK would not be allowed if it showed a Woman serving food to her family.

Quote:
Barilla responded by saying Boldrini did not understand the advertising world and women were fundamental to adverts.
It's pretty clear that the interviewer then started asking questions about Gay families .... I do believe this sort of thing is a "set-up" of some sort. I also think that as we hear more and more of this sort of "set-up" in these interviews that it will back-fire on the LGBT.

Barilla wouldn't do an advert with just a Man and his children .... he says that "women" are an important part of their advertising strategy and always have been. He says he supports Gay Marriage (but not adoption) - he isn't "homophobic" at all. He believes that a "traditional family" is a Mother, Father & children -- this isn't necessarily "anti-gay" (particularly when he goes on record with support for Gay Marriage). I believe it's fair to say that most people think in terms of "traditional" or "classic" family ..... what is your first thought when asked "what is a Traditional Family? Which of these would you name? ..... Mommy, Daddy, kids? or Daddy, Daddy, kids? or "Mommy, Mommy, kids"?

Quote:
Mr Barilla told Italian radio Radio 24: ‘Our concept is not that of a gay family.

Worldwide fury: Mr Barilla provoked further anger when he added that if gay people did not approve of his views 'they could eat another brand of pasta'
'For us, the concept of the nuclear family is a fundamental value of the company.'
When the interviewer pointed out that gay people also eat pasta he said: ‘Okay, if they like our pasta and our branding let them eat it, otherwise they can choose another pasta.
‘You can’t always please everyone.

The comments followed the launch of an initiative by Parliament Speaker, Laura Boldrini, on the role of women in advertising, in particular the prevalence of mothers serving the family at the table.
At some point .... a poll will be done asking this question .....
"Do you think all the boycotts by the LGBT community against every company they consider offensive, help their cause or hurt their cause?" The majority will say "hurt their cause".

I hate that - All these silly "boycotts" and "outrage" because some Man in Italy likes to do his advertisements with a "traditional family" or because of what organization a company owner in the USA gives money to - do nothing to aid the cause of Equal Rights for all Americans. I believe in that cause and have fought for it for years - I have a Lesbian daughter, she and all others deserve the same rights as all non-gay Americans. I know for a fact that if she were asked "did you come from a Traditional family" - she was say Yes - Mom & Dad always made sure we ate together as a family and it was always a home cooked meal - none of that fast food stuff. They came to all our activities and were always there for us. Very "traditional family" - still together after more than 40 years.

Personal Note .... the only time anyone ever asks me what kind of pasta I use, is when they are eating my homemade fresh pasta.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I did read the article. What about this part? How nice!

How does a gay person like their message of only showing "classic families." In effect he is telling gays to go buy another brand. That's how I see it.
rubbish, what he said about gay customers he would say about ANY customer, because it is a FACT that is someone likes a product, they will buy that product, if the dont like a product they wont buy a product. if you want to excoriate anyone it should be the the interviewer for making the question about gays, not the interviewee for making a truthful unbiased statement about if they would buy his product or not.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I think that when he says that they will only portray a "classic family," he is in effect saying that gay families are secondary to his classic family, that gay families aren't worth to be portrayed in ads and on top of that he basically says gays can go buy other pasta brands if they don't like his vision. Which gay person would agree with is vision to exclude them? I think that his sentiment is hateful.
Ohhhhhh-kay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Why should they be portrayed? They are an extreme minority, GLOBALLY.

I think Miley Cyrus sucks beyond belief...and I like a 100 other female artists that I believe are 100 times more talented than her...So, does that mean they should be perpetuated through the social media in the same regard as Miley? No, because nobody gives a sh*t about who I want to see on TV..unless, of course, I fall in with what is widely accepted.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Here we go again. Like the Chick-fil-A honcho, the Barilla chief responded to a question in the interview.

Everyone take note, because this appears to be the current MO: pro-gay agenda (which includes getting everyone else to accept every aspect of their lifestyle, and promote it) "journalists" corral the CEO of a lucrative business and ask "the question." When the question isn't responded to appropriately, the MNM runs a story about how that unenlightened person is "against" this or that and uninformed people say s/he should just shut up and make sandwiches or pasta when, in fact, that person simply answered a question.

Interestingly, if you read the entire interview, in the course of it the journalist stated his own opinion, that "classic" families of the woman (gasp!) serving a meal to her husband and kids is no longer "acceptable" in Italy. Apparently, that's no longer acceptable here, either because I see plenty of ads featuring moms at the table with their kids or kids alone at the table, but I can't tell you the last time I saw a man at the table with the kids because the implication would be that the woman was serving the meal. Sacre bleu!

Like Chick-fil-A, Barilla will survive and thrive, because they make a good product.
I will actually purchase Barilla today as I go shopping.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
If he wants to say that he prefers to use a hetereosexual family, that's his right to do so. Barilla is popular among families and that's who they want to appeal to. I support gay rights, but seeing two guys together eating pasta isn't going to encourage me to buy that pasta brand because I'm interested in women. Don't force a certain lifestyle on other people; I support the live and let live philosophy, but others (including you based on your posts) want to force your thoughts on others who don't agree with you. That is the tyranny of liberal Americans.
No one is forcing anyone to use same sex couples in their commercials. If he hadn't opened his mouth on the subject there would have been no boycott.
You don't alienate part of your customer base.
Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all?

What in my posts shows that I'm trying to force my "lifestyle" on you or anyone else? I have simply said it was not a wise business move, which it isn't.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Pity the poor fools who think that something is being forced upon them.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No one is forcing anyone to use same sex couples in their commercials. If he hadn't opened his mouth on the subject there would have been no boycott.
You don't alienate part of your customer base.
Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all?

What in my posts shows that I'm trying to force my "lifestyle" on you or anyone else? I have simply said it was not a wise business move, which it isn't.
Yes, you are. Look at your words.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Pity the poor fools who think that something is being forced upon them.
The crazy left-wingers that type their stuff are the fools and yes, people like you are trying to force thought control on those who don't think like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies