Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't care what you "consider" yourself. The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of Black West Indians assimilate into African American culture. And the fact that a few act more like Tiger Woods than Biggie Smalls doesn't invalidate that.

At this point, I'm convinced you are not West Indian at all. You haven't even said what country you identify with.

And you say, "you are one of those Americans of West Indian descent who has assimilated into African American culture" as is I'm in the minority. What do you think makes you more West Indian/Caribbean than someone like Kerry Washington or the Notorious B.I.G?
Pure ignorance. I simply stated that it depends on the individual. In the past, you would likely be correct, but it appears that there is greater tendency to maintain a distinct identity. As stated, certainly by the 3rd generation born here, the majority of people have assimilated into general American culture, whether African-American or not.

Kerry Washington is of African-American and Jamaican-American parentage. Even though one of her parents is actually African-American, not that she considers her American-born parent of Jamaican descent as having a distinctly different background.

Notorious BIG...don't know much about his background other than him having a Jamaican mother.

Never did any of my posts mention being more West Indian/Caribbean than any of the above individuals. You seem to have a personal issue with people who identify differently than you. But since you are pressed to know, both of my parents are born and raised in the Caribbean, and I have lived there.

What about you?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Umm...but they are forced into a black identity. If you ask the average American about Eric Holder's ethnicity, they're going to say "African American." If you tell them that his family was from Barbados, they are still going to respond "African American."

Likewise, if you asked most people if Al Pacino is white, they're going to say "Yes." The fact that he's Italian is not going to change their response because they see "Italian" as being a sub-group of "White American."
Not necessarily arguing with you about perceptions from the outside but rather how many Caribbean-Americans are asserting their identities more than before. IMO, it has to do with the changing American demographics and that definitely gets my support. Additionally, it seems more people are inclined "properly" identify others. Now if you feel that a particular box or label from people on the outside defines you, then that's fine for you. If that was the way that I thought, then I would be 2349032483 backgrounds. LOL.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:41 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Pure ignorance. I simply stated that it depends on the individual. In the past, you would likely be correct, but it appears that there is greater tendency to maintain a distinct identity. As stated, certainly by the 3rd generation born here, the majority of people have assimilated into general American culture, whether African-American or not.
You think Kerry Washington and Biggie Smalls are ignorant about their heritage? Or are you saying that my comment was "pure ignorance?"

And where are your sources to back up your claims? At least I offered an academic source to corroborate my claims. Besides, I don't see how West Indians are assimilating into "General American Culture" when about 95% of them live in predominantly black neighborhoods. Southeastern Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, etc. They are interacting with African Americans more than any other group BY FAR.

Quote:
Notorious BIG...don't know much about his background other than him having a Jamaican mother.
His father was also Jamaican. You could have read that just as easily as you read Kerry Washington's bio on Wiki. It would have taken you all of 10 seconds.

Quote:
Never did any of my posts mention being more West Indian/Caribbean than any of the above individual. You seem to have a personal issue with people who identify differently than you.
What makes you culturally different from them? Do you speak with an accent or something? And I identify as West Indian, hence the name BajanYankeeepic fail Just be real, you didn't even know what Bajan meant, did you?

Quote:
But since you are pressed to know, both of my parents are born and raised in the Caribbean, and I have lived there.
Ah, that really narrows it down.

Quote:
What about you?
The fact you have to ask speaks volumes.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
You think Kerry Washington and Biggie Smalls or ignorant about their heritage? Or are you saying that my comment was "pure ignorance?"

And where are your sources to back up your claims? At least I offered an academic source to corroborate my claims. Besides, I don't see how West Indians are assimilating into "General American Culture" when about 95% of them live in predominantly black neighborhoods. Southeastern Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, etc. They are interacting with African Americans more than any other group BY FAR.
My sources are life experiences. No book needed for me.

Quote:
His father was also Jamaican. You could have read that just as easily as you read Kerry Washington's bio on Wiki. It would have taken you all of 10 seconds.
I was familiar with Kerry Washington's heritage prior to this discussion.

Quote:
What makes you culturally different from them? Do you speak with an accent or something? And I identify as West Indian, hence the name BajanYankeeepic fail Just be real, you didn't even know what Bajan meant, did you?
Read my post that you quoted again and that should answer your question. You call yourself BajanYANKEE. So my question still stands. What is your background? That does not mean that both of your parents are Bajan. Neither does that hint at where you have lived in your life etc. Stop evading the question.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily arguing with you about perceptions from the outside but rather how many Caribbean-Americans are asserting their identities more than before. IMO, it has to do with the changing American demographics and that definitely gets my support. Additionally, it seems more people are inclined "properly" identify others. Now if you feel that a particular box or label from people on the outside defines you, then that's fine for you. If that was the way that I thought, then I would be 2349032483 backgrounds. LOL.
It has nothing to do with what I feel. I'm just describing the reality. I don't see why it comes as a major surprise to you that most (that means the vast overwhelming majority) of second-generation West Indians assimilate into African American culture. That's about as enlightening as saying that most children of African Americans also adopt African American culture.

And what you check in a box once every ten years isn't nearly as important as the social networks you keep, the speech you adopt, etc. I don't see this mutual exclusion between "African American" and "West Indian" the way you do. It's the same way I don't view "Irish" or "Italian" and "White" as being mutually exclusive.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with what I feel. I'm just describing the reality. I don't see why it comes as a major surprise to you that most (that means the vast overwhelming majority) of second-generation West Indians assimilate into African American culture. That's about as enlightening as saying that most children of African Americans also adopt African American culture.

And what you check in a box once every ten years isn't nearly as important as the social networks you keep, the speech you adopt, etc. I don't see this mutual exclusion between "African American" and "West Indian" the way you do. It's the same way I don't view "Irish" or "Italian" and "White" as being mutually exclusive.
Not sure why it comes as a surprise to you that I would state that in the present, it depends.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
My sources are life experiences. No book needed for me.
LOL.

Quote:
I was familiar with Kerry Washington's heritage prior to this discussion.
Sure you were. You know, it would've been faster to Google "Biggie Smalls" than it would have been to dig up one of my old posts.

Quote:
Read my post that you quoted again and that should answer your question. You call yourself BajanYANKEE. So my question still stands. What is your background? That does not mean that both of your parents are Bajan. Neither does that hint at where you have lived in your life etc. Stop evading the question.
You stop evading the question. What islands are your parents from?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
LOL.

Sure you were. You know, it would've been faster to Google "Biggie Smalls" than it would have been to dig up one of my old posts.

You stop evading the question. What islands are your parents from?
We have conversed on CD before and have been involved in threads in the Americas forum. You are aware of my heritage. Why don't you share your heritage?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure why it comes as a surprise to you that I would state that in the present, it depends.
It doesn't "depend." It's a statement of fact. That's like saying "the majority of West Indians descend from African ancestry" and then responding "It depends." Or saying "New York is the largest CSA in the country" and then responding "It depends." You could respond "It depends" to any number of things that are generally true.

"Most African Americans are Protestant."

It depends.

"Most American Jews are Ashkenazi Jews."

It depends.

"France is majority Catholic."

It depends.

"New York is 28% Hispanic."

It depends.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
It doesn't "depend." It's a statement of fact. That's like saying "the majority of West Indians descend from African ancestry" and then responding "It depends." Or saying "New York is the largest CSA in the country" and then responding "It depends." You could respond "It depends" to any number of things that are generally true.

"Most African Americans are Protestant."

It depends.

"Most American Jews are Ashkenazi Jews."

It depends.

"France is majority Catholic."

It depends.

"New York is 28% Hispanic."

It depends.
As stated, not sure why it comes as a surprise to you that I would state that in the present, it depends. Some random person on the internet is not going to change my life experiences...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies