Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 07:42 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Okay, good. So why are we still in shutdown? Here's what Michele Bachmann says is the reason:

"This is about opening up the federal government and making it work for the American people. That’s what we’re trying to do, is to get him [Obama] to resolve it."

What does that mean, exactly? That the GOP had to shut down the government to try to get Obama to open up the government? Huh? Now that the ACA is off the table, WHAT, SPECIFICALLY, DOES THE GOP WANT? I've asked this on several different threads and no one on the right will answer it.

There is no doubt in my mind that crap has been thrown around, not understood reasoning, I got that...they are not really that in step.

But, if reid would have passed a budget, we would not be in this mess...would we...

And again, why do you want to give special options in the ACA to congress?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
Well unfortunately we have people in our society that can't think for themselves and believe only society knows whats best for us. If the president said it was the republicans fault, then the sheep follow that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
"The media pushing the notion Rs are responsible for shutdown"

The OP has that belief because he can't fathom that the reason why people believe the Rs are responsible for shutdown is because they are responsible for the shutdown. Without their insistence with defunding Obamacare we'd have a budget. Now, they backed themselves into a corner and can't drop it.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Obama hasn't submitted a real budget in years? Really?

2013 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- The 2013 United States federal budget is the budget to fund government operations for the fiscal year 2013, which is October 2012–September 2013. The original spending request was issued by President Barack Obama in February 2012.

2012 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- The 2012 United States federal budget was the budget to fund government operations for the fiscal year 2012, which was October 2011–September 2012. The original spending request was issued by President Barack Obama in February 2011.

2011 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- The 2011 United States federal budget is the United States federal budget to fund government operations for the fiscal year 2011, which is October 2010 – September 2011.

2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- The United States Federal Budget for Fiscal Year 2010, titled A New Era of Responsibility: Renewing America's Promise,[2] is a spending request by President Barack Obama to fund government operations for October 2009–September 2010.
The right wing propaganda machine cranks out any garbage it can think of on a whim and knows that it can rely on a particular portion of the populace to just take them at their word. It would still be a great strategy for them if they could maintain the demographics of days gone by. They're screwed and we have seen what they are capable of doing when desperate. What are they going to do next?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:52 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And I can respect that. I disagree with it on the merits, but I can definitely respect that, especially against the backdrop of the perspective that many other right-wingers present.

Again, I can respect your comments but that perspective is indefensible. We live in society with others, and abrogation of society's obligations to its citizens is not a justifiable objective. You want to pass a law locking legislators in conclave, like the Roman Catholic church's College of Cardinals electing a new Pope, that's fine with me, but throwing up your hands and saying, "I'm taking my toys and going home," is not an option.
Taking their toys and going home is what the president is doing right now. To close off private business because its next to a public park? To close off open memorials that require no monitoring? To use tax payer money to fence off, kick out citizens to such places? These are acts of a child who doesnt get their way. Why is that any different than what i said? Why not stand up and disagree with that too!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that crap has been thrown around, not understood reasoning, I got that...they are not really that in step.

But, if reid would have passed a budget, we would not be in this mess...would we...

You mean if Reid would have caved to Republican extremists and passed a budget defunding Obamacare, which was an unacceptable condition, we could have had a budget.

Of course, if Republican extremists didn't insist upon defunding Obamacare we'd have passed a budget too.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:54 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Quote:

The OP has that belief because he can't fathom that the reason why people believe the Rs are responsible for shutdown is because they are responsible for the shutdown. Without their insistence with defunding Obamacare we'd have a budget. Now, they backed themselves into a corner and can't drop it.

Wrong! We would have a CR! Not a budget! Not the same thing!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:

I have a feeling that before too much longer, the GOP's corporate owners will force them to give up this childish tantrum. The debt ceiling coming up may be the point where they fold.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Yep. See this thread, and watch the spin and deflection from the loonies:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-shutdown.html

Most Americans don't even know there is a shut down.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:56 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

The ACA doesn't do that. That was a Ted Cruz talking point (aka, a lie). Educate yourself:

Of all the misconceptions surrounding the new health reform law known as Obamacare—and there are many—one of the newest and most infuriating is the idea that Congress made itself “exempt” from a law that puts onerous new burdens on many other Americans. That contention is totally false. In fact, members of Congress, along with their personal staffers, are required to participate in Obamacare, which is a more stringent requirement than employees of many big companies face.

That Congressional Exemption From Obamacare? Another Myth | The Exchange - Yahoo Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies