Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 04:22 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
It's like a person holding a bus hostage till the passengers give into their demands, or else they will crash it.

If anyone else were doing this the GOP (and the rets of the nation) would label them terrorists. They call themselves freedom fighters.

Just like every other terrorist calls themselves.
George Washington and his militia, freedom fighters or terrorists?

The, "Son's of Liberty", freedom fighters or terrorists?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Stop trying to move the goal posts. You said both sides are to blame for the gov't shutdown. Show me the Dems that promised they would shut down the gov't? Show me the Dem rallies where constituents were demanding their reps shut down the gov't. Show me the up/down votes that Harry Reid refused to have that would have averted shut down.

When Conservatives have no argument, they fall to standard talking point of "both sides are to blame." They can't rationalize being on the wrong side of the argument so they create a boogeyman to blame also.

Even your own reps are blaming your own party for causing this shutdown.
So what do you say about the Reid refusing to go to conference to work out the differences? So, in essence, it's perfectly okay for the Senate to literally refuse to even sit down and try to work together? That is quite obstructionist on his part. Seems to me that Reid is perfectly happy continuing this shutdown.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
I don't see why people are really making such a big deal about this, it's had zero affect on my life. Really how has the Shutdown ruined your day in any way? Been the same for me.

Besides this isn't going to last very long anyway.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Such a specious argument.

ACA/Obamacare provides coverage for those who were previously uninsured. Neither the President or members of Congress or their staffs lacked health insurance. But, should they lose their jobs and have preexisting conditions, now they can buy health insurance elsewhere.

I happen to think it's WRONG that certain currently-insured govt workers must now go to the marketplace for their insurance. They shouldn't have to do that. They already have insurance and are in compliance with the ACA - as are most employees who have employer coverage. They're not forced to buy in the marktplace if they're covered. Same should be true for those in govt.

ACA/Obamacare is written so those denied in the ordinary marketplace could now buy a least some coverage.

ACA requires everyone have health insurance. You are NOT required to purchase this health insurance in the marketplace if you can get conforming coverage elsewhere - either through your employer or privately.

Very simple. But, simple apparently escapes some people.

How did we get from "no one being denied coverage" to "everyone must participate in the marketplace" - ?? - More r-wing crap, as usual.
Nope, it's Obama's law, that every one must participate.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So what do you say about the Reid refusing to go to conference to work out the differences? So, in essence, it's perfectly okay for the Senate to literally refuse to even sit down and try to work together? That is quite obstructionist on his part. Seems to me that Reid is perfectly happy continuing this shutdown.
The Pentagon can go until 10/7 and the Treasury can continue using federal pension money until 10/17.

This is a war of egos in DC. Who will back down first.

I think what will happen is that Obama is going to cave on something and in return ask for a pretty high debt ceiling.
Reid is a no-op..he'll just do whatever Obama wants.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Pentagon can go until 10/7 and the Treasury can continue using federal pension money until 10/17.

This is a war of egos in DC. Who will back down first.

I think what will happen is that Obama is going to cave on something and in return ask for a pretty high debt ceiling.
Reid is a no-op..he'll just do whatever Obama wants.
It is a war of egos and quite frankly, I have no patience for any of it. I find absurd behavior on both sides of the aisle. To say that the GOP alone is to blame for this, however, is completely incorrect as demonstrated by Reid's actions (e.g. refusal to even conference). As a conservative, I am not a fan of Cruz and am dismayed that the House Republicans decided to follow his lead on this.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It is a war of egos and quite frankly, I have no patience for any of it. I find absurd behavior on both sides of the aisle. To say that the GOP alone is to blame for this, however, is completely incorrect as demonstrated by Reid's actions (e.g. refusal to even conference). As a conservative, I am not a fan of Cruz and am dismayed that the House Republicans decided to follow his lead on this.
This is the new way to do budgets.
No cuts, no taxes.

Continuing resolutions and raise the debt ceiling.
This is the third time we've been down this path since Obama was elected.

Congress just gets more riskier with each annual battle.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:45 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Not green eggs and ham as much as pea green with envy, that what they worked so hard to make Obama's "Waterloo" will be the successful legacy of his signature achievement. Too bad Teapublicans, too freakin" bad.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-01-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Not green eggs and ham as much as pea green with envy, that what they workd so hard to make Obama's "Waterloo" will be the successful legacy of his signature achievement. Too bad Teapublicans, too freakin" bad.
And the GOP's legacy will be shutting down government, causing a downgrading of the US credit rating, and cutting food stamps to those who are starving.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm proud of the Dems for standing their ground against the GOP absurdity. The GOP free fall continues.

What a colossal blunder and miscalculation by the Kool-Aid caucus of hapless House tea party Pubs.

President Obama and the Dems, as usual, hold the superior position.

The last thing sent by the House to the Senate passed everything that the Senate had voted for previously and Obama signed.
The only other items were a delay for individuals (as business received), no waivers, and Congress and it's Staff to be included.

I gather you are in favor of big business over the individual, your opinion tells that story (I know it's really just your undying love for everything Obama, regardless of what it is).

Now Reid won't even hold talks after this very reasonable offer by the House.

I type this more for general benefit of others here as I know you've lost your Life's sight.

Reid and his group are the ones miscalculating here and causing this after the last House offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies