Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Obama does. He claims that healthcare is a right and should be provided by the government.
I think it's...healthcare is a right and should be available and affordable for everyone. I think so too don't you?

As for being provided by the government, you'd have to find me a quote or something. It can sure be administered via government, like medicare or a health exchange, but it's still provided by medical professionals.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think it's...healthcare is a right and should be available and affordable for everyone. I think so too don't you?

As for being provided by the government, you'd have to find me a quote or something. It can sure be administered via government, like medicare or a health exchange, but it's still provided by medical professionals.
Everything is a "right" to statists like Obama and apparently you. Now that government is in the business of providing health care for everyone, the next place you want to take us is government provided food, housing, clothing, and everything else.

Meanwhile, individual rights and freedoms die a little more with every step you, Obama and the other statists are allowed to take.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
I want a nanny state to keep conservatives and the GOP in check. I want the GOP to remain ineffectual and toothless.

If liberals and moderates could come up with a plan to "punish" these ultra conservatives' [the 88 wacko reps in the house] districts...it will go a long way to dismantel this little contra-group.

It's time to put the pressure on these hostage takers. Put pressure on their districts. If they are so keen on defunding government, let us see how their districts deal with less federal dollars.

These phonies talk a good game but bring home the pork for thiers. Lets let their states pick up the tab.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The less fortunate -> those are the retarded, physically disable. Obviously you the less fortunate have low IQ's
Er...what do you think you are trying to say?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
They did this in my state. They took 1300 people receiving TANF and drug tested them. Only 29 out of 1300 people tested positive for any drugs. I wonder how much it cost to run those tests?
$74,000. In four months. Oklahoma City Sen. David Holt (R-fingerwagger) says it's worth it.

It's not about the money, apparently. It's about making sure only the right sort receives benefits. I don't see any tests to screen out people who blow their cheques on lottery tickets or alcohol or tithes, though. And for what it's worth, only 16 people tested positive. 13 refused to be tested.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Liberals don't think it's government's job to be everyone's nanny. They do believe it's a smart society that provides for itself, though. "Every man for himself" only goes so far. A nice example is the torture Americans have to put themselves through regarding health insurance. A social safety net is a smart thing for a country to build for itself. "Nanny state" is a derogatory term for this.

Conservatives, it seems to me, want a mommy state. They're the ones who think pregnant women should be "held accountable" and should have to bear a child against her will to make the right happy. They're the ones who think they shouldn't have to pay taxes because taxes make them sad. Go further to the right and you'll find right-wingers who thought Muslims shouldn't have been allowed to build a community centre in New York because Muslims upset them. They're more interested in social manipulation for their ends rather than a social safety net. I get the impression many on the right think one of their government's roles is to prevent them from having to live in a place where other people can do things they don't like. I get this impression from watching the American right on message boards much like this one, and before that from usenet groups. So it's their own fault.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
$74,000. In four months. Oklahoma City Sen. David Holt (R-fingerwagger) says it's worth it.

It's not about the money, apparently. It's about making sure only the right sort receives benefits. I don't see any tests to screen out people who blow their cheques on lottery tickets or alcohol or tithes, though. And for what it's worth, only 16 people tested positive. 13 refused to be tested.
I stand corrected.

I wonder how many meals $74K could have provided to a homeless shelter?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Everything is a "right" to statists like Obama and apparently you. Now that government is in the business of providing health care for everyone, the next place you want to take us is government provided food, housing, clothing, and everything else.

Meanwhile, individual rights and freedoms die a little more with every step you, Obama and the other statists are allowed to take.
Yup, those Canadians and British with their government health care are just inches away from falling into communist totalitarianism.

I don't see why health care is all that much different than the government providing roads, education, transportation ports, libraries, search and rescue squads, fire and police protection and any of the other services government provides. Would you rather live in a society where private citizens paid individually out of pocket for these things?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
Conservatives, why do you want to tell me what to do with my womb?
well I bet you like to have the option to have an abortion at 8 months then? I could see if you life was in danger that is one thing. There needs to be a better reason then well my headhunts this whole having a child thing is hard.

What is wrong with the 22 weeks law?

OK back to the ?

why is it that liberals seem to love dictators??American far left (bleeding hearts )liberals love Castro, love Chavez, love Mugabe, all these dictators, because they envy the power they have.Also if this was a dictatorship they would have every thing taking care of and would have to work for anything.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
well I bet you like to have the option to have an abortion at 8 months then? I could see if you life was in danger that is one thing. There needs to be a better reason then well my headhunts this whole having a child thing is hard.

What is wrong with the 22 weeks law?

OK back to the ?

why is it that liberals seem to love dictators??American far left (bleeding hearts )liberals love Castro, love Chavez, love Mugabe, all these dictators, because they envy the power they have.Also if this was a dictatorship they would have every thing taking care of and would have to work for anything.
They do?

Almost everything I've seen from liberals in regards to these dictators was criticism about their corruption and human rights abuses.

Let's see you cough up some evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies