Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Churchill had no brains in his later life. He willingly asked for help and accepted help in the Lend-Lease program from a liberal democrat FDR.

Ideology is a wonderfull thing until bullets start to fly and pragamtism overtakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Psst....he wasn't talking about the American political dynamic thought I'd let you know
You do realize that a person can use quotes, analogies and metaphors to link similar ideas across different time periods and situations, don't you? Or am I to be 100% literal in making every point I ever have?

Can either of you address the point behind the quote instead of getting hung up on black and white liberalism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Huh?

Rand Paul is of the extreme persuasion for the GOP.

Not even close. He has many moderately liberal views and moderately conservative views. He is anything but extreme, though the left and right have labeled him as such. This notion helps to make my point about both parties being the same. He scares the snot out of both sides, just like his father does.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:56 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Perhaps they should consider changing the symbolic GOP elephant to the dodo!
That would be appropriate. The two party's symbols would be a Jackass and a Dodo.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I'm wondering how stupid someone would have to be to predict the demise of the rival party when they've lost control of the house of reps and show no signs or retaking it.....and are projected to lose 3-7 senate seats in the midterms.

Smart democrats, and you can bet there are several discussing this strategy in Washington, are looking at the issues where they are losing ground on the reps instead of just declaring victory and spiking the ball and celebrating victory at the 5 yard line.

Had the exact same discussion in 2004 when the shoe was on the other foot for the republicans.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It was fairly obvious in the 2012 party conventions that the GOP was largely white and grey, in comparison to the Dems. I seem to recall there being some soul searching for a few hours afterwards, about how to expand the GOP tent.

Young voters. How do you feel about this shutdown and health care stand off? Just curious if Ted Cruz i& Co. are winning hearts and minds....
so democrats destroy education, and then ask the youngins how they feel about freebies? you must feel humiliated. recruiting more government employees?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That would be appropriate. The two party's symbols would be a Jackass and a Dodo.
Thomas Nast would approve!

Old 10-03-2013, 04:26 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Every demographic is voting for Democrats more and more.
That's an odd statement to make, considering that the house was Democrat controlled when Obama came into office, and it's not now. And the surge in Republican governors and state legislatures is also a problem for your theory.

Would you care to explain that giant, gaping hole in your theory?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,565 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It was fairly obvious in the 2012 party conventions that the GOP was largely white and grey, in comparison to the Dems. I seem to recall there being some soul searching for a few hours afterwards, about how to expand the GOP tent.

Young voters. How do you feel about this shutdown and health care stand off? Just curious if Ted Cruz i& Co. are winning hearts and minds....
I like the college GOP, but to be honest, the college GOP seems to be run by people that would describe themselves as more libertarian than conservative.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM

295 posts, read 359,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
“Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.”

― Winston Churchill
Churchill never said that. It has been falsely attributed to him so many times that its become part of the popular canon. But Churchill never said that.

My guess it was made up by a right wing hack like Wally George and falsely attributed to Churchill to give it some fake credibility.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
I'll just jump in; I don't like the current GOP. I think they're fools. Current Democrats aren't a whole lot better, but the GOP, in my honest opinion, is simply no longer capable of being a serious party to lead the nation, but sadly, they have the money to continue being a serious party.

I have no actual issue with conservatives, or even really Republicans, it's just the current people who advocate for the republican party. People like Ted Cruz or Michele Bachmann, they're ridiculous. Cruz wasted everyone's time on nothing. He read Green Eggs and Ham and tried to make a serious point? It's a joke. Does he even know the moral of Green Eggs and Ham? The current big names in the GOP need to be removed and replaced by rational thinkers. Holding on to traditional values is one things, it's making up what those values are that bugs me. Things like 'Christian values being the foundation of our society.' This does serious damage to issues like evolution and gay marriage. Many republicans are more than willing to give homosexuals equal treatment but not calling it marriage, which I guess doesn't bug me, but some are so against it. Bachmann said after DOMA was deemed unconstitutional that 'only God can define marriage.' Last I checked, we didn't elect God. He didn't write the constitution. It's insane. Then there's evolution. Most Republicans actually support it, but those who don't support it are literally almost always republican. Ric Perry's in Texas right not trying to decide if we should have science or religion in science textbooks. That shouldn't even be a discussion.

Point is, conservatives are fine. I'm personally not one, but I have no issue with them and would want them to have some power in government. Republicans... well, if they get some better members, I'll say the same thing. Until then, I want them out. I want a new party to take their place. Or at least a party besides the democrats to be able to combat them. I just want more parties. Then, we'd be less polarized. That's really the root of the problem. If people didn't have the whole 'republican or democrat' mindset, compromise might actually be an option and the government would still be running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies