Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
These are the kinds of issues that conservatives will focus on. Instead of anything requiring actual intellect and thought processes, the conservative brain focuses on team nicknames and barricades at the WWII Memorial.
Actually Obama created this issue. You really think this wasn't a planted question? Let's see, Saturday police were chasing away the aged and frail WWll from the WWll memorial, and suddenly the news cycle is all about the Redskins. See how that works? See how easily (even desperatly) the liberal MSM is diverted?

That's a page from PR 101...divert attention, jump up and down, wave your arms and say, don't look there at that ugly problem, look over here. What, maybe 10 people in the US give a krap if a football team uses the name Redskins? And yet our moron-in-chief interjected himself into the conversation. Convenient timing, eh?

Last edited by Dockside; 10-06-2013 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Political Correctness will be the death of free speech.

Anyone who is offended by the name "Redskins " is an overly sensitive Vagina. Plain and simple.

With the growing debt, shutdown, possible war in Syria, and everything else that is on this man's plate, he is upset about the Washington Redskins? I'm glad to see where his priorities lie. Makes me feel good about my president! (Sarcasm)
What? Vagina? wtf?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Actually Obama created this issue. You really think this wasn't a planted question? Let's see, Saturday police were chasing away the aged and frail WWll from the WWll memorial, and suddenly the news cycle is all about the Redskins. See how that works? See how easily (even desperatly) the liberal MSM is diverted?

That's a page from PR 101...divert attention, jump up and down, wave your arms and say, don't look there at that ugly problem, look over here. What, maybe 10 people in the US give a krap if a football team uses the name Redskins? And yet our moron-in-chief interjected himself into the conversation. Convenient timing, eh?
I like your tactic here........making up crap that can't be definitively refuted. Rightwing 101.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
I like your tactic here........making up crap that can't be definitively refuted. Rightwing 101.
Aw jeez. One should really be older than 16 and have some life experience before they post here.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:

This is not an issue that the "news cycle is suddenly all about", this is a topic most people have not heard the President weigh in on, but it is probably a hot topic in the wingnut-o-sphere, where that audience can bleat, moan and bray about a non issue (in the greater scheme of things, at least) because these folks have proven throughout history they respond to emotive issues, and usually those of little or no substance.

Your news cycle is far different from my news cycle. I have to rely on alternative media sources to glean real news, while you rely on sources that, for this cycle anyway, the main topics of interest are the WWII Memorial barricades, the Redskins name, and, of course, the horrors of the ACA.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
He was asked a question in an AP interview:

Q: If I could just ask you one last question on something that's not politically related, but is getting a lot of attention in Washington -- the name of the Washington Redskins football team. There is a lot of people who say it's time to change the name of that team, considering that it's insulting to many Native Americans. What's your position on that?

THE PRESIDENT: You know, Julie, obviously, people get pretty attached to team names, mascots. I don't think there are any Redskins fans that mean offense. I've got to say that if I were the owner of the team and I knew that there was a name of my team -- even if it had a storied history -- that was offending a sizeable group of people, I'd think about changing it.
But I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team, and rightly so -- even though they've been having a pretty tough time this year. But I think -- all these mascots and team names related to Native Americans, Native Americans feel pretty strongly about it. And I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real, legitimate concerns that people have about these things.

News from The Associated Press
A real leader: You know, Julie, obviously, with so many really important issues facing the USA and the world today, I don't feel we should waste any time discussing something so totally lacking in importance as the sports world. Sports are important in their place, and a great temporary escape, but when compared with world issues, it's just not something I should be discussing right now as I am faced with numerous serious problems facing this great country.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Aw jeez. One should really be older than 16 and have some life experience before they post here.
Read the post I was replying to madam. Then maybe you'll see the irony of your statement.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
This president has extremely strange priorities.

Since when does a president get himself involved in the naming of sports teams?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

You may want to start at the beginning of the thread. You'll be able to answer your own question.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

as others have stated, he was asked the question during the interview. he did not go out of the way to discuss it.

conservatives have a hard time understanding simple things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies