Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 AM

39 posts, read 53,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Lots of minorities have been pariahs. One example are Jews. Gypsies. Intellectuals during certain epochs. Why do YOU suppose gays have, in the past (because honey, it ain't true no 'mo, not in progressive states) that gays were treated as pariahs?

Are you endorsing slavery? My God!
I do not, nor have I ever endorsed slavery. The sole purpose of my last post, was to point out that your view of women and "minorities" appears to be limited, because you are using an American paradigm and not a global one.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 AM

39 posts, read 53,883 times
Quote:

We have free will to not smoke, to not eat meat, to choose one religion or another. But we cannot choose our genetic makeup, and science, yes, science concludes that being gay is a genetic predisposition. All in all, it's worked out well for me, and the vast majority of fellow gays.

If you truly believe that we all have free will, then you will agree that we have control over our thoughts and behaviors.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy214321 View Post
I do not, nor have I ever endorsed slavery. The sole purpose of my last post, was to point out that your view of women and "minorities" appears to be limited, because you are using an American paradigm and not a global one.
That's not how I read your post. You minimized the issue of slavery by stating it was a small affair.

Quote:
On a global level however, homosexuality has always been viewed as a social pariah, my question to you is, why?
As I posted:

Quote:
Lots of minorities have been pariahs. One example are Jews. Gypsies. Intellectuals during certain epochs.
People who vary from the norm are looked on with disfavor by primitive minds -- it's always been that way.

So I repeat your question, and hope to get a response: why do YOU suppose gays have been treated as pariahs?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
If you truly believe that we all have free will, then you will agree that we have control over our thoughts and behaviors.
Not at a sexual orientation level. What, do you want gays to play "straight?" That's not "free will," that's being in the closet and it is in direct contradiction to genetic predisposition. One can no more change from being gay to straight than they can "will" to be blonde when having been born a redhead. Genetics Rule.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You are very correct.

States can marry whomever they like.

This is New Jersey's problem.

FTR, homosexuals are not prohibited from marrying anywhere in the United States.

Most states prohibit marriage between members of the same sex, but the law applies equally to heterosexuals and homosexuals.
That argument has been tried and failed already.

Quote:
The fifth, and final, argument judges would use to justify miscegenation law was undoubtedly the most important; it used these claims that interracial marriage was unnatural and immoral to find a way around the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of "equal protection under the laws." How did judges do this? They insisted that because miscegenation laws punished both the black and white partners to an interracial marriage, they affected blacks and whites "equally." This argument, which is usually called the equal application claim, was hammered out in state supreme courts in the late 1870s, endorsed by the United States Supreme Court in 1882, and would be repeated by judges for the next 85 years.
History News Network | Why the Ugly Rhetoric Against Gay Marriage Is Familiar to this Historian of Miscegenation

Old 10-20-2013, 02:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Actually, he's never admitted whether or not he's homosexual or heterosexual. My guess is, he's homosexual. Most heterosexual men at his age are either married or dating a woman (or two ). Also, most heterosexual male politicians (even the very left-wing progressive types) are more focused on the economy, education, environmental issues, taxes, crime etc., because these issues are usually more salient to their constituents.
Who the hell cares if he's gay or straight? What he does in the privacy of his bedroom is nobody's business.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:44 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Who the hell cares ig he's gay or straight? What he does in the privacy of his bedroom is nobody's business.
Does it have to be in the bedroom

Old 10-20-2013, 02:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
This thread is gay.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Well maybe it's time that society wakes up and realizes how stupid they were to think that equality is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So we should take away women's rights and minority rights because you think equality is stupid? You know what is funny, places like Saudi Arabia agree with you about equality being stupid.
urbanlife is right, equality of rights is possible, in fact desirable. equality of opportunity is also possible and desirable. equality of outcomes is not possible, nor desirable.

Quote:
God created gays; God doesn't make mistakes.
Quote:
Actually, people who believe in God believe He created us with free will. Meaning we are equipped with the ability to make decisions. Sometimes we choose to engage in activities that add value, and sometimes we engage in activities that actually harm us. But for better or worst, whether we want to admit it or not, the decision is always ours to make.
i agree with amy. god doestn make mistakes, but he does have a wicked sense of humor, witness the duck billed platypus for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I question that idea with some God believers who seem to be absent of free will.
they may seem absent of free will, however they have chosen their own path, and they have the fortitude to stick to that path. you may see it as blind devotion, but i think you are wrong.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that gays CHOOSE to be gay? If you are, sorry, the evidence betrays your beliefs. As a gay man, I can assure you I knew I was gay from Day One.
Quote:
My ultimate point is, I believe we all have free will. This allows us to choose how we live and what behaviors we engage in.
again amy is right. alfieboy, you may have had feelings as a young boy for others of the same sex while growing up, virtually ALL people have had those feelings, that doesnt make everyone gay. it makes them normal. as you grew up though, you choose to act on those feelings, that makes it your decision to be gay in the end, and now you are entrenched in the lifestyle. but that is your choice not mine, and i wont try to change your mind.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what do i care? the reality is that it is being done at the STATE level where it belongs, and not at the federal level. the feds should have NOTHING to do with gay marriage.
The federal government should not be concerned with marriage at all, gay or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies