Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
More than 60% of bankruptcies in this country are due to people not being able to pay their medical bills. Do you honestly think that these people didn't attempt to "work out a payment plan" before losing their homes and their life savings because of illness or an accident?

How about you try living in the real world for a while?
I don't know, you tell me...with the mentality of adults today...that is a very big question.

But, I will say that people stop paying, because they don't think they can make a payment program, good faith payments, your trying to make the payments but can't.

Some people just give up, even after the first "late" bill, not knowing....

How about get these people educated, or maybe even a little pride....that is living in the real world, not expecting someone to pay your way...

Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief, we are talking about kids here, have you no shame?....I guess we should just take them out behind the barn and shoot the lot of the them...Who the hell is punishing you anyway? You are demonstrating a disgusting lack of empathy. A healthy society help those less fortunate...I can only be thankful that people like you are a very small minority.
Medicade?

medicaid
Web definitions

Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Um, no. Death panels don't give you a choice. The right wingers would call this freedom of choice. Death panels deny care to people who would actually want the care. Seriously. Did you READ the post you answered?
I don't think a 28 yo who didn't buy ins. b/c s/he (it's almost always "he", women are more risk-averse) didn't think s/he'd need it is expressing a death wish. S/he is really just being stupid, or naive at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not one leftie responded to my truthful statement about what Ron Paul was asked.

He was diractly asked "If a young man had the opportunity to purchase insurance, but refused to, and then had a serious accident, should he be allowed to die?" Ron Paul answered as I would have...."It's nobody elses responsibility to pay for his poor decision."

So no.....I personally wouldn't want to let him die, but HE made the decision before that to let himself die.

Once we get past feeling sorry for those who made poor decisions, the sooner we'll be back on track as a nation.

Place blame where it belongs.....
See my response to Ivorytickler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Isn't this what Medicaid is for? If a person has exhausted his resources, then Medicaid kicks in and pays for their medical care.
I have a dear friend who was retired and had a nice nest egg for her golden years. She had a stroke which required that she have around the clock care in a facility. She has lived like this for over 10 years. Very few of us, even those who had saved and lived frugally, could afford to pay for this. Her husband was allowed to keep a fraction of their assets and their home, and once she had spent down the rest, Medicaid kicked in.
All our biggest fears should be that our healthy spouse will be made destitute taking care of us. It makes me angry that many people are on Medicaid their whole lives, yet hard working people who saved must be forced to spend everything before they can get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

In order to qualify for Medicaid, you must be destitute. Truly destitute. A top Medicaid-qualifying salary wouldn't even pay my rent (for 1 bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment- not living large here).
charolastra00's response is spot-on! In some states, "able-bodied" adults don't even qualify for medicaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I've worked with 2 blind computer programmers. One legally blind that used a magnifier to see the code and one completely blind that had a text to braille adapter on his terminal. Neither had government assistance that I know of.

This guy does pretty good as well.

[Must See] Richie Parker (Guy With No Arms) Of Hendrick Motorsports| Inspirational Video - YouTube

Not everyone that has physical issues will get their dream job but that's exactly like the rest of us. I wanted to be an offensive lineman in the NFL but I couldn't even play in college. There are few open spots for a 6 foot, 185 pound lineman that runs a 5.4 second 40 yard dash.
You don't think these blind programmers didn't get a lot of special ed at school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And for what small percentage that didn't have health insurance was this whole ACA enacted to supposedly help?
A very small percentage of a section of one apple that is rot in an entire bushel of apples has the potential to spoil the whole thing.
15%, give or take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Not society.
That was the philosophy of the Oregon Medicaid program for a while. Sucks.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:33 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Good grief, we are talking about kids here, have you no shame?....I guess we should just take them out behind the barn and shoot the lot of the them...Who the hell is punishing you anyway? You are demonstrating a disgusting lack of empathy. A healthy society help those less fortunate...I can only be thankful that people like you are a very small minority.
Oh good heavens... could you be any more dense? Nobody, no where said let children starve... Your so quick to assume you know everyones situation. Do I have to draw a picture for you? And can we possibly do that without the word CHILDREN involved....

Let's say that those ADULTS who need assistance are standing on rung #1 of a ladder. Through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN.

Now.. there's me. Standing on rung #2. I'm purchasing my own insurance. Too much income to qualify for help, but getting by. To help those on rung #1, you're going to take some of rung #2. Now.. you've broken the rung. (Buy causing my insurance to rise above what I can now afford)..... soo... Boom... I've now tumbled down to rung #1.. the uninsured. And I'm not standing on that rung.. I'm hanging on for dear freakin life like Rose and Jack off the back of the Titanic, because I still make to much to get assistance, can't afford the insurance because of "life" and things beyond my control. So according to you, I'm now one of those you should be concerned about.. After all.. this was beyond my control... right??? I now have two options... die with no health care, or go to a hospital and expect people on rung #3 to pay for me through their now risen health care costs. Eventually... your going to take so much from rung #3... It's going to break too!! And they come dropping down with the rest of us on rung #1. How much can rung #1 stand?

Just what can't you understand about the fact that not all of us opposed to your ACA are not standing on rung #100, up on a lofty perch looking down hoping the worst on our citizens. Your so full of concern for some but not others.... and you call me selfish??????

Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
^^Sorry, but these analogies don't prove anything. They're just stories about ladders and Halloween candy and such.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Sorry, but these analogies don't prove anything. They're just stories about ladders and Halloween candy and such.
Well... that's fine then... When you've priced me out of insurance.. you can pick up the tab for me too. Because quite frankly, I'm tired of caring. Not for those who need the help. But for those who are so condescending that they think they have the right to tell me who its right and wrong to care for.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Oh good heavens... could you be any more dense? Nobody, no where said let children starve... Your so quick to assume you know everyones situation. Do I have to draw a picture for you? And can we possibly do that without the word CHILDREN involved....

Let's say that those ADULTS who need assistance are standing on rung #1 of a ladder. Through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN.

Now.. there's me. Standing on rung #2. I'm purchasing my own insurance. Too much income to qualify for help, but getting by. To help those on rung #1, you're going to take some of rung #2. Now.. you've broken the rung. (Buy causing my insurance to rise above what I can now afford)..... soo... Boom... I've now tumbled down to rung #1.. the uninsured. And I'm not standing on that rung.. I'm hanging on for dear freakin life like Rose and Jack off the back of the Titanic, because I still make to much to get assistance, can't afford the insurance because of "life" and things beyond my control. So according to you, I'm now one of those you should be concerned about.. After all.. this was beyond my control... right??? I now have two options... die with no health care, or go to a hospital and expect people on rung #3 to pay for me through their now risen health care costs. Eventually... your going to take so much from rung #3... It's going to break too!! And they come dropping down with the rest of us on rung #1. How much can rung #1 stand?

Just what can't you understand about the fact that not all of us opposed to your ACA are not standing on rung #100, up on a lofty perch looking down hoping the worst on our citizens. Your so full of concern for some but not others.... and you call me selfish??????
I thought the goal of the ACA was to insure everyone, so I'm not sure why you composed that analogy..I think you are worried for no reason....Do you know for a fact that you won't be able to afford insurance, or that it will even go up in price?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I thought the goal of the ACA was to insure everyone, so I'm not sure why you composed that analogy..I think you are worried for no reason....Do you know for a fact that you won't be able to afford insurance, or that it will even go up in price?
Yes... it has.. it went up by about 70%. (Also raised deductible, co-pay and total out of pocket). I re-did my budget. Now a second rise in premiums.. depending on the cost of everything else.. which yes.. I'm estimating too will rise.. will not be affordable. Discretionary spending has been cut to the bone already, so don't tell me to quit buying this and that. It's already been done. We are not at the zero sum game... yet.

Now.. if the premiums go down as you tell me it will... well.. then me bad. I'll eat my words. But, history and common sense is telling me that there is no way that is going to happen.. So.. guess it's just too bad for me.....

Old 10-22-2013, 05:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times
Quote:
In a civilized country, we wouldn't be killing millions of unborn.
In a civilized country we wouldn't let millions of born suffer without healthcare.

Last edited by fumbling; 10-22-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times
Quote:
Not one leftie responded to my truthful statement about what Ron Paul was asked.

He was diractly asked "If a young man had the opportunity to purchase insurance, but refused to, and then had a serious accident, should he be allowed to die?" Ron Paul answered as I would have...."It's nobody elses responsibility to pay for his poor decision."

So no.....I personally wouldn't want to let him die, but HE made the decision before that to let himself die.

Once we get past feeling sorry for those who made poor decisions, the sooner we'll be back on track as a nation.

Place blame where it belongs.....
No one should have the opportunity to NOT pay for health insurance, same as no one has the opportunity to NOT pay property taxes which fund "single-payer" fire and police and roads and schools.

Last edited by fumbling; 10-22-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies