Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 08:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I would accept death,With a too good ins policy they would keep you alive as a vegetable for as long as they can collecting the money and giving interns all kinds of experience doing it MY ex is an RN heard the stories.My Mom died on Mothers day this year at 86 she fell down twice passing out and my sister took her to the hospital and she refused all treatment being of sound mind.she went to sleep that nite and never woke up. the hospital lost hundreds of thousands on free ins on that one I can only dream I can die like that without interns learning on my mysery keeping me alive to learn on and sucking obamacare money.
OR your mother could be alive only suffering from HBP.

So sad you hated your mother so much, still mad because she made you eat those peas? Or buy you that toy?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Was he not allowed to buy insurance?
Back story on him:
27 years old and fit as a fiddle and reportedly was uninsured.

Diagnosed with Wilson's disease ( genetic) which is often treatable with meds. Untreated it destroys the liver. Having a pre-existing condition he was uninsurable. He could not afford the meds and his liver rapidly deteriorated.

He was living in Nevada which lost it's donor program. Friends/family brought him home to Minnesota. They had a match for his liver. By this point he was too far gone.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
No they don't.

They raise prices across the board and everyone else pays for it.

Just like shoplifting.....the store doesn't "eat it".....they raise prices to make up for it.
I am sorry I responded ( #87) to the same post before reading your response. I too used the shop lifting analogy.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
No, it doesn't!

Are you an American? If yes, how do you know it works?

I have clients in the UK and they ALL say their HC sucks balls.

Here are some of the more prominent single-payer myths:
Myth No. 1: Everyone has access to health care a single-payer system.
Myth No. 2: Claims of rationing are exaggerated.
Myth No. 3: A single-payer system would save money on administrative costs.
Myth No. 4: Single-payer will provide fair and quality care for everyone.
Myth No. 5: Single-payer leaves medical decisions to patients & doctors.
Myth No. 6: Single-payer systems achieve better health outcomes.
Myth No. 7: The U.S. systems also engages in rationing.
Myth No. 8: A single-payer system will not hamper medical research.
Myth No. 9: Single-payer will save money as patients seek care earlier.
Myth No. 10: The free market in health care has failed in the U.S.
No I live in the UK, and I know first hand that it works. Brits have a tendency to moan about things that aren't quite working and blow them out of proportion, yet don't praise things when they do work well. The NHS works well on the whole, is it perfect? No. But there is no such thing.

And it isn't one or the other either, the UK has both the NHS and a US style private system, yet the vast majority of people in the UK (88%) choose the NHS. I wonder why?

Last edited by archineer; 10-22-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
If a person gets sick with a disease or disability they can't afford or not covered by insurance, who should pay for it?

My MIL was on Medicaid and had many surgeries paid for, plus all her meds. That is what Medicaid is for. I don't know why the government thinks the poor has no insurance since they do. She was taken care of as well as my FIL.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
People who are paying for private health insurance are paying for the uninsured that is why health insurance prices are skyrocketing. People who are pay for their own health insurance should not have to pay 1 cent for the uninsured
49 states mandate motorists maintain a prescribed minimum of liability insurance. Despite these state laws, a percentage of the population drives without insurance. Most folk have insurance that covers them if they are in an accident with an uninsured driver. Some states mandate this, too.

We all pay for the uninsured/underinsured.

Failure to include this in your policy means if that other guy caused the accident and does not have insurance, you eat it.

Healthcare costs have been increasing since forever. There are more medical solutions to what ails you than ever before in history. There's inflation and then there's medical inflation. The greater number of uninsured hitting ERs and state/county clinics the more we all pay.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
No I live in the UK, and I know first hand that it works.
They why do people come to the US to get their operations? They can get them in the UK if they can wait for months on end and won't die first.

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Um, no. Death panels don't give you a choice. The right wingers would call this freedom of choice. Death panels deny care to people who would actually want the care. Seriously. Did you READ the post you answered?
Did you ever read the part of the ACA act bill that prompted Death panel rhetoric from Palin?

Quote:
Palin specified that she was referring to Section 1233 of bill HR 3200 which would have paid physicians for providing voluntary counseling to Medicare patients about living wills, advance directives, and end-of-life care options.
Death panel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by parfleche

I would accept death,With a too good ins policy
they would keep you alive as a vegetable for as long as they can collecting the
money and giving interns all kinds of experience doing it
MY ex is an RN heard
the stories.My Mom died on Mothers day this year at 86 she fell down twice
passing out and my sister took her to the hospital and she refused all treatment
being of sound mind.she went to sleep that nite and never woke up. the hospital
lost hundreds of thousands on free ins on that one I can only dream I can die
like that without interns learning on my mysery keeping me alive to learn on and
sucking obamacare money.
You don't have such a thing as Advanced Directives in the US?
Most peculiar.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Why are insurance companies charged for people that aren't their clients?

They are not directly. However, the cost of medical care goes up for everyone to cover the unpaid medical care given to the uninsured. Therefore, the insurance companies end up paying for higher costs of claims.

Kind of like shoplifters cause increase in prices for paying shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies