Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM

310 posts, read 256,546 times

Advertisements

It is absolutely unnerving the amount of people blaming the victim. I just don't understand how anybody can justify cops murdering a 13 year old boy carrying a toy. This kind of bootlicking is why we have a growing police state and an increasingly militarized police force. I'd rather take my chances in the slums of Oakland than with trigger happy cops these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you guys really need to out yourself in the cops shoes. you have someone carrying what looks to be a real firearm, and is playing with said firearm. did the kid point the weapon at the cop? i dont know i wasnt there, and neither were you guys. did the kid decide not to listen to the cop when he told the kid to put the gun down? yes the kid did decide not to listen. again you guys were not there, so you dont know. if the kid had listened to the cop, he would be alive today playing with that same toy, but perhaps with the orange nub on the barrel end to show that is it a toyu gun and not a real one. cops dont want to get killed anymore than anyone else does, and if you threaten them, they will respond.
Nothing in the story said the kid threatened the cops. You are making up facts to fit your bias.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,651,048 times
Default they look real

in the old days guns were suppose to look like toys, usually with some part was brightly colored , but kids wanted toys that look real, critics said this will start to happen and it has. so lets sit back and act surprised.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
Toy guns should not be manufactured to resemble real guns...as a parent I wouldn't let my child own one...let alone play outside with it...it is a recipe for disaster!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
It is absolutely unnerving the amount of people blaming the victim. I just don't understand how anybody can justify cops murdering a 13 year old boy carrying a toy. This kind of bootlicking is why we have a growing police state and an increasingly militarized police force. I'd rather take my chances in the slums of Oakland than with trigger happy cops these days.
Yes. It's interesting to see how many make a lot of assumptions here with NO FACTS to back up those assumptions. For example;

Some assume the kid pointed the gun at the cops.

Some assume the cops waited an appropriate amount of time to figure out what was happening.

Some assume the cops talked with the kid for a long enough time for the kid to calm down.

Some assume the cops were close enough to be in danger.

Some assume the cops couldn't have fired a warning shot our couldn't have taken a position behind their patrol cars and waited.

It's funny how many assume the cops did everything right. These same posters don't think it worth spending an extra hour of the cops time to save a kid's life.

In the end, an innocent kid died. This kid committed NO CRIME.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so the kids parents DEFIED/broke the 1989 and 1992 laws requiring all toy guns to have an orange tip
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
companies have been required to make toy guns with an orange tip since 1992.....

this is a failure of the patents who broke the law, by removing/allowing to be removed to orange tip
are you sure the parents knew the orange tip was removed? i remember as a kid i did a lot of things my parents never knew about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The police over reacted and murdered the boy... there are some rules like don't fire upon unless you are actively engaged... too bad these cops lack the brain cells to remember that toy gun exists and that kids play with them... if you can't deal with it, then maybe you shouldn't be a cop...
perhaps you need to get on a firing range or better in a shooting simulator, and see how you do against real situations. find out how many times you would be dead because you choose to stop and try to figure out if a gun was real or a toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I usually am very suspicious of the Police, but the age of the boy carrying a toy gun gives a little more justification for what happened, even if it was an accident. If the officer's story is true, than their actions are justified.

If the teen was a little younger, I'd be outraged, but honestly, you don't expect a lot of Junior High kids to be carrying around toy guns.

If I was the officer there though, with many other officers present, I would have reached for my taser rather than my pistol.
Quote:
I agree that this is a sad situation. I've made several threads criticizing the Police but this is one where I really can't. And it has more to do with the age of the kid rather than the circumstances. The reason being is that he's 13, not 5 or 6. I don't know any junior high kids that walk around or even play with toy guns.

As far as the shoot first reactions of some officers I can't jump on board with that. Often times everyday citizens are placed in similar situations and handle them much better than people who are trained to deal with high stress situations and often have much more protection than the average person.

I guess you just have to judge everything on a case by case basis and try to learn from them. I do believe the Police have become too militarized and in many instances, down right corrupt, but I'm not gonna jump to the conclusion that this is one of those cases.
gtownoe, there is hope for you yet. and i agree with you that there are cops that go way overboard, and need to be dismissed from the force, and brought up on charges, but for the most part cops are just normal ordinary everyday people doing a tough and thankless job. they tend to get dumped on for all the ills of society, and most of the time they just dont deserve the crap they take. but they do it anyway because most of them chose the profession to help people, and do something positive for their community.

i have advocated it for years now, show a police officer a little respect, the same respect you want from them, and it pays dividends for you, sometimes on the spot, sometimes down the road. you dont have to give up your rights to show some respect either.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Other than BB guns I don't recall anything that looked as real as these do. Side by side a few feet away you can't tell the difference except that small orange cap on the muzzle and that's easily painted black....
It's not availability of toy gun that has changed, it's society and the police that have. 30, 40, 50 years ago kids didn't go around randomly shooting up schools. Kids have had realistic looking, metal (not plastic) toy guns for a very long time. These are all at least 50 years old.

A 1960 die cast toy SAA.

This doesn't look like a real derringer?

This toy Luger doesn't look real?

Here' another metal, die cast, toy rifle. The stocks aren't the right color, but it's metal and the action works, pretty realistic

Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
are you sure the parents knew the orange tip was removed? i remember as a kid i did a lot of things my parents never knew about.

perhaps you need to get on a firing range or better in a shooting simulator, and see how you do against real situations. find out how many times you would be dead because you choose to stop and try to figure out if a gun was real or a toy.

gtownoe, there is hope for you yet. and i agree with you that there are cops that go way overboard, and need to be dismissed from the force, and brought up on charges, but for the most part cops are just normal ordinary everyday people doing a tough and thankless job. they tend to get dumped on for all the ills of society, and most of the time they just dont deserve the crap they take. but they do it anyway because most of them chose the profession to help people, and do something positive for their community.

i have advocated it for years now, show a police officer a little respect, the same respect you want from them, and it pays dividends for you, sometimes on the spot, sometimes down the road. you dont have to give up your rights to show some respect either.

I've gotta disagree with you on the bold. I showed a cop mucho respect, even after being verbally assaulted, and he then went on to falsify documents and unlawfully arrest me. Then went on to lie in court. It was the public defender, helpful clerks at the court house, and the judge who saved me.

Another time I showed officers respect, they assaulted me over the smell of marijuana in my vehicle when I attempted to call an attorney. They pinned every charge they possibly could on me.

I don't have any love for the Police. Let me make that clear. I've dated a cop, a good cop, and he was tormented by some of the corruption he saw and I know other instances where good honest cops were ran off the force.

The issue of Police corruption and misconduct is very real to me. I'm just stating that in this particular case, I can't pass judgement on it.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
I've gotta disagree with you on the bold. I showed a cop mucho respect, even after being verbally assaulted, and he then went on to falsify documents and unlawfully arrest me. Then went on to lie in court. It was the public defender, helpful clerks at the court house, and the judge who saved me.

Another time I showed officers respect, they assaulted me over the smell of marijuana in my vehicle when I attempted to call an attorney. They pinned every charge they possibly could on me.

I don't have any love for the Police. Let me make that clear. I've dated a cop, a good cop, and he was tormented by some of the corruption he saw and I know other instances where good honest cops were ran off the force.

The issue of Police corruption and misconduct is very real to me. I'm just stating that in this particular case, I can't pass judgement on it.
So you were caught using illegal drugs, the cops took action and somehow that is somehow being harassed?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you were caught using illegal drugs, the cops took action and somehow that is somehow being harassed?
I wasn't caught with anything when I was assaulted. And I have no shame or regret in anything that I have done or do. Including using marijuana.

But it does show how little you do know about the law and what this country was founded on.

With your reasoning we should be able to go up and punch Police who are talking or their cell phone or texting while driving. Or maybe we should go and mob those Bank of America Execs who robbed people of their houses.

Genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies