Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
It is absolutely unnerving the amount of people blaming the victim. I just don't understand how anybody can justify cops murdering a 13 year old boy carrying a toy. This kind of bootlicking is why we have a growing police state and an increasingly militarized police force. I'd rather take my chances in the slums of Oakland than with trigger happy cops these days.
Hindsight is 20/20. Can you understand police defending themselves and the neighborhood from a teenage gang member with a AK-47? That's quite possibly what they saw when they got there, they certainly didn't say "there's a kid with a toy gun, lets shoot him".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
in the old days guns were suppose to look like toys, usually with some part was brightly colored , but kids wanted toys that look real, critics said this will start to happen and it has. so lets sit back and act surprised.
What "old days" would those be? Toy companies have been making real looking toy cap guns for pretty much as long as there have been real guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I wasn't caught with anything when I was assaulted. And I have no shame or regret in anything that I have done or do. Including using marijuana.

But it does show how little you do know about the law and what this country was founded on.

With your reasoning we should be able to go up and punch Police who are talking or their cell phone or texting while driving. Or maybe we should go and mob those Bank of America Execs who robbed people of their houses.

Genius.
You admitted that your car smelled like pot. Have you thought of not doing anything illegal and maybe cops will leave you alone? Shocking concept. I know. I flat out don't believe your story. Most people who repeatedly does something illegal look for any excuse to justify their actions, and often blow an innocuous event into this terrible thing done by the terrible cops. No bank of america execs robbed anyone of their houses. I know of a lot of people who stupidly took out mortgages that they couldn't afford and lost their houses because of it, but it is pretty dumb to blame the product for an individual's stupid decision, isn't it? If I bought a TV on credit and couldn't pay my bill, it is hardly Best Buy's fault.

Again, stop breaking the law and you will be amazed at how little the cops care about what you do.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Not a "murder"

The gun looked real

The kid didn't put it down after being told to several times

The kid raised the gun instead of lowering it

The kid got shot

End of story

What the kid was doing WAS LEGAL!

A low life cowardly cop cannot leagaly MURDER someone because they do not obey his commands.

End of story.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-24-2013 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM

310 posts, read 256,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. Can you understand police defending themselves and the neighborhood from a teenage gang member with a AK-47? That's quite possibly what they saw when they got there, they certainly didn't say "there's a kid with a toy gun, lets shoot him".

What "old days" would those be? Toy companies have been making real looking toy cap guns for pretty much as long as there have been real guns.
Cops these days are always getting away with making horrible decisions such as this, we need to hold them to higher standards that will keep us safe from their trigger happy ways. Aren't they put through rigorous testing so that they can maintain composure in these situations to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen? There is no justifying events like this, IMO.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
It is absolutely unnerving the amount of people blaming the victim. I just don't understand how anybody can justify cops murdering a 13 year old boy carrying a toy. This kind of bootlicking is why we have a growing police state and an increasingly militarized police force. I'd rather take my chances in the slums of Oakland than with trigger happy cops these days.
LEO in this country is the enemy of the people.
It is like Mexico, getting the police involved in any situation will only make things worse. The number one entity involved in civil rights abuses is LEO.

As a wise man once said, all tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for men of good conscience to remain silent.

What we now have is a tyrannical police state, where the people are afraid to criticize their oppressors.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,764 times
Thirteen year old boys don't do what now?

14-year-old accused of killing beloved Danvers, Massachusetts, teacher - CNN.com

Old 10-24-2013, 04:08 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
Quote:
I've gotta disagree with you on the bold. I showed a cop mucho respect, even after being verbally assaulted, and he then went on to falsify documents and unlawfully arrest me. Then went on to lie in court. It was the public defender, helpful clerks at the court house, and the judge who saved me.

Another time I showed officers respect, they assaulted me over the smell of marijuana in my vehicle when I attempted to call an attorney. They pinned every charge they possibly could on me.

I don't have any love for the Police. Let me make that clear. I've dated a cop, a good cop, and he was tormented by some of the corruption he saw and I know other instances where good honest cops were ran off the force.

The issue of Police corruption and misconduct is very real to me. I'm just stating that in this particular case, I can't pass judgement on it.
I believe you.

I too have seen it first hand when someone very close to me was almost killed by a cop driving drunk and his buddies on the force arrived at the scene and covered the entire thing up. They swept in quickly and knew exactly what they were doing, completely sterilizing the scene in 2 separate locations, of all potential evidence while I was in shock at the hospital not knowing if my boyfriend at the time was alive or dead in ICU.

I also have exactly one family member who became a cop, was fired their first year for verbally assaulting a woman and getting into a bar brawl. This person was simply rehired in another county and promoted rapidly due to being related to a high profile city official.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
I've gotta disagree with you on the bold. I showed a cop mucho respect, even after being verbally assaulted, and he then went on to falsify documents and unlawfully arrest me. Then went on to lie in court. It was the public defender, helpful clerks at the court house, and the judge who saved me.

Another time I showed officers respect, they assaulted me over the smell of marijuana in my vehicle when I attempted to call an attorney. They pinned every charge they possibly could on me.

I don't have any love for the Police. Let me make that clear. I've dated a cop, a good cop, and he was tormented by some of the corruption he saw and I know other instances where good honest cops were ran off the force.

The issue of Police corruption and misconduct is very real to me. I'm just stating that in this particular case, I can't pass judgement on it.
actually i give you a pass on this, you have lived with the problem. i can tell you though that i have had all kinds of contact with LEOs, local, state, and federal, often times as part of the course of my job, and sometimes because i was breaking traffic laws. and with two exceptions, my contacts with LEOs has always gone well, so my experience differs from yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You admitted that your car smelled like pot. Have you thought of not doing anything illegal and maybe cops will leave you alone? Shocking concept. I know. I flat out don't believe your story. Most people who repeatedly does something illegal look for any excuse to justify their actions, and often blow an innocuous event into this terrible thing done by the terrible cops. No bank of america execs robbed anyone of their houses. I know of a lot of people who stupidly took out mortgages that they couldn't afford and lost their houses because of it, but it is pretty dumb to blame the product for an individual's stupid decision, isn't it? If I bought a TV on credit and couldn't pay my bill, it is hardly Best Buy's fault.

Again, stop breaking the law and you will be amazed at how little the cops care about what you do.
sometimes you can have contact with LEOs and not have done anything wrong, and still be treated like a criminal. many years ago someone broke into one of the buildings at the church i went to, and the DCE and two local LEOs flat out accused me of the crime, even though they had absolutely no evidence against me. i told them flat out , if they really think i did the crime, then to arrest me on the spot. i told them WHEN is was acquitted of the charges, i would sue them, the DCE, the city, and the church for false arrest and imprisonment, and i would hold the two officers and the DCE personally liable and do everything i could to make sure they never worked in the city again. they left me alone after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What the kid was doing WAS LEGAL!

A low life cowardly cop cannot leagaly MURDER someone because they do not obey his commands.

End of story.
really? the kid did everything legal? apparently NOT. if he pointed the toy at the officer, THAT ACT IS NOT LEGAL. he refused to obey the officers orders to drop the gun, THAT ACT IS NOT LEGAL. and if the cop truly did not know the gun being pointed at him was not real, then the officer did what he needed to do to go home that night. sorry of you feel that people that break the law are somehow clean cut honest individuals that do nothing wrong, and that cops, and those that support them, are somehow scum of the earth, well i feel sorry for you and hope that you never have to deal with one of those little darlings that point guns at cops, because one day those little angels are going to point a REAL gun at you, and then you are going to have to deal with it in person, and trust me it isnt a pleasant feeling having a gun pointed at you regardless of caliber, and regardless of whether or not it is later found to be a toy.

if you are somehow so damned perfect, why dont you become a police officer, and make it your duty to clean up the force, or would you rather sit behind your computer keyboard and make vicious unfounded statements like cop and everyone that supports them are scum?

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-24-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I would need more information before forming an opinion. Such as,

How much time did LE give the kid after telling him to drop the gun? Did they plead with him for five minutes or five seconds? And how far away were they when talking to the kid?

What was the kid doing that required LE to get involved at all? Who called LE and why?

Did the kid point his toy gun at LE?

Did the kid understand english?
I'm with you on this. I saw the pic, it does look pretty stinking real. But, the questions you asked, I'm asking. I'm not going to condemn either side until someone gives more information.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We played army and cowboys and indians in our neighborhood, I guess we are lucky no cops happened up and killed us
So did we. But being in a country with something-resembling-sane gun laws, the very idea of 13-years-olds with real firearms was so remote, no police officer was going to assume we actually carried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies