Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:26 PM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a shame we have come to this in the USA but making toy guns that look like that is even more of a shame.

I don't know how it went down or why he didn't drop it when he saw the police, regardless of if he heard them yell for him to put it down. I wasn't there.
I do know that many convenience stores have been robbed with toy guns.....in the past, don't know about now? But it is a good way to get yourself shot....yanno?

This is a cryin shame all the way around, for the parents and for those cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I usually am very suspicious of the Police, but the age of the boy carrying a toy gun gives a little more justification for what happened, even if it was an accident. If the officer's story is true, than their actions are justified.

If the teen was a little younger, I'd be outraged, but honestly, you don't expect a lot of Junior High kids to be carrying around toy guns.

If I was the officer there though, with many other officers present, I would have reached for my taser rather than my pistol.
and police have to be suspicious as well....do you have any idea what it's like to stop a car, and have to walk up to that car, not knowing what is going to happen.

as I said before, there are good and bad police, just like any thing else in life, but this, this happened b/c the kids parents allowed the kid to have a toy that looked real....it could have been anyone on the street who thought the gun was real....but I'll end by saying, this is a real sad sad situation....oh, and by the way, do you have any idea how bad crime is in CA? The gangs, what those police deal with every single day?

Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
companies have been required to make toy guns with an orange tip since 1992.....

this is a failure of the patents who broke the law, by removing/allowing to be removed to orange tip

Actually, you're wrong. Yes, companies have to make the orange tip on their toy guns, but removing the orange tip, or painting over it is not against the law.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Did the parents even know the tip was off? No blame if they didn't. But I'm still wondering in what world a gun like this is a "toy", orange tip or not. What are they playing at?
Why is it always the way the gun "looks" that matters? Because it "looks scary" it shouldn't be a toy?

This gun isn't any different than a Red Ryder bb gun, the only difference is that it "looks" like an AK47

And I find it completely unbelievable and stunning that I have to make this argument in reference to bb guns.

Boy oh boy, some people need to grow a pair. I bet some of you nearly have a heart attack at the mere sight of your shadow

Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and police have to be suspicious as well....do you have any idea what it's like to stop a car, and have to walk up to that car, not knowing what is going to happen.

as I said before, there are good and bad police, just like any thing else in life, but this, this happened b/c the kids parents allowed the kid to have a toy that looked real....it could have been anyone on the street who thought the gun was real....but I'll end by saying, this is a real sad sad situation....oh, and by the way, do you have any idea how bad crime is in CA? The gangs, what those police deal with every single day?
I agree that this is a sad situation. I've made several threads criticizing the Police but this is one where I really can't. And it has more to do with the age of the kid rather than the circumstances. The reason being is that he's 13, not 5 or 6. I don't know any junior high kids that walk around or even play with toy guns.

As far as the shoot first reactions of some officers I can't jump on board with that. Often times everyday citizens are placed in similar situations and handle them much better than people who are trained to deal with high stress situations and often have much more protection than the average person.

I guess you just have to judge everything on a case by case basis and try to learn from them. I do believe the Police have become too militarized and in many instances, down right corrupt, but I'm not gonna jump to the conclusion that this is one of those cases.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:02 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
California Sheriff's Deputies Shoot, Kill 13-Year-Old

These coward bastards are shameful excuses for human beings.
At most it would be voluntary manslaughter based on imperfect self defense. However, walking around with something that looks like an AK-47 probably wasn't smart.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I agree that this is a sad situation. I've made several threads criticizing the Police but this is one where I really can't. And it has more to do with the age of the kid rather than the circumstances. The reason being is that he's 13, not 5 or 6. I don't know any junior high kids that walk around or even play with toy guns.

As far as the shoot first reactions of some officers I can't jump on board with that. Often times everyday citizens are placed in similar situations and handle them much better than people who are trained to deal with high stress situations and often have much more protection than the average person.

I guess you just have to judge everything on a case by case basis and try to learn from them. I do believe the Police have become too militarized and in many instances, down right corrupt, but I'm not gonna jump to the conclusion that this is one of those cases.
Thank you for an intelligent discussion and view point.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Actually, you're wrong. Yes, companies have to make the orange tip on their toy guns, but removing the orange tip, or painting over it is not against the law.
well that depends:

federal law: all toy weapons and replicas must be manufactured with an orange tip to be sold in the USA. The federal law is that you need an orange tip to sell or transport across state or federal lines.

california law:12553. Any person who changes, alters, removes, or obliterates any coloration or markings that are required for by any applicable state or federal law or regulation, for any imitation firearm, or device described in subdivision (c) of Section 12555, in any way that makes the imitation firearm or device look more like a firearm is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Let's parse this out in plain English, because legalese sucks my nuts. #12553 says if you remove or cover the orange of an imitation firearm (defined in 12555) in such a way as it is required by federal law, you're breaking the law.

new york law:New York state law goes further to ban toy guns that are black, blue, silver, or aluminum, and toy firearms must have bright orange stripes that run up both sides of the barrel.

new york city law:
New York City requires that all realistic toy or imitation firearms be made of clear or brightly colored plastics. Furthermore, New York City makes possession of any pistol or rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air unlawful without a license.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is one of the more ignorant statements I have read in a long time. You obviously have no clue what goes in in cities in this country. I have personally seen people pull a gun out and point it at someone who honked at them sitting in traffic.

Spend some time in a poor neighborhood in a city and try again.
Maybe your reading comprehension is a little thin. I said "mass murderers".

Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it never ceases to amaze me, that people who think they are tough, and think they know what a cop should or should not do, comes up with a thread like this....? Really really shows the mental capacity of your ability OP....
No, I would have watched from a distance for enough time to understand what was happening... at least an hour.

Anyone who thinks a rapid "shout three times and then shoot" is appropriate is an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies