Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Nonsense. Utter folderol.

If they can get it, they will. That's how it works. It's up to THEM to decide who they want, not you. If you want to do something different, start your own company and run it differently.

Did it ever occur to you that the issue is that the entry level into employment is so expensive that many employers simply cannot afford to hire and train? That if they did, they would go broke.

Many of them have tried, repeatedly, only to find this kind of crap:

Meet the Dumbest Job Interview Applicants | Reader's Digest

Worst Interview Answers

Most people hiring simply DO NOT HAVE time to teach someone to be on time, to pay attention, to be dedicated, to have all the required personal habits first, before they can spend time teaching them the actual job.

Again, if you think you can do it better, then by all means, get in business and show us all how its done. Until then, you're just a loudmouth in the peanut gallery, who knows NOTHING.
I'm guessing your business must be pretty easy to run because you've spent a great amount of time debating people how to run a business and how they have no rights to vacation all while debating with them on a message board all day.. I need your position
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
Quote:
Then you know that that vacation is earned, and is paid for by reduced take-home pay.
no

I consider a paid vacation basic human decency for any worker. And it is not paid for by reduced take-home pay. I seriously think you've never ran a business.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When does the farmer get a vacation?
I live in farm country and most of the farmers here take at least 1 month off; usually they go to Hawaii or Florida. Those are the crop farmers.

The ones with livestock take a week here and a week there; they partner with relatives, neighbours and other farmers so they all get a break at some point.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times
Vacation time should negotiated between employee/employer.

How does one determine an employee's value?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Exactly. Get rid of them. We'll all live on unemployment.
Great idea! After all, it was Speaker Pelosi who said that unemployment insurance is the fastest way to creates jobs. Therefore, if everyone stopped working we would have more jobs than we know what to do with.

Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs - YouTube

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Vacation time should negotiated between employee/employer.

How does one determine an employee's value?
I determine my employee's value by their experience and their skill set. They can take a vacation whenever they like, for as long as they like. They just should not expect to be paid for their time off. In return, I pay them 91%+ of my billable rates.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that the issue is that the entry level into employment is so expensive that many employers simply cannot afford to hire and train? That if they did, they would go broke.
THEN THEY NEED TO TOP WHINING THAT THEY CAN'T FIND PEOPLE. If they can't afford to hire people or can't afford to hire someone who is not 100% experienced or over-qualified in exactly what they do, then maybe they are not cut out to run a business. There are plenty of people out there who can fill the positions, the employers just won't look.

Quote:
Many of them have tried, repeatedly, only to find this kind of crap:

Meet the Dumbest Job Interview Applicants | Reader's Digest

Worst Interview Answers

Most people hiring simply DO NOT HAVE time to teach someone to be on time, to pay attention, to be dedicated, to have all the required personal habits first, before they can spend time teaching them the actual job.
So, it's either require only over-qualified people to apply, or you'll only receive crackheads who can't function? Your view is so skewed. You know, you can find people who may not be fully versed in exactly every aspect of your business, yet who are still people with years of work experience. THAT is the problem. If you say that you can only hire people who are ready to function with no training whatsoever on day one, then maybe you just aren't very good at leading. There's more to being a good businessman than just having a company that functions and makes a profit. Some of the worst people out there make a lot of money.

Quote:
Again, if you think you can do it better, then by all means, get in business and show us all how its done. Until then, you're just a loudmouth in the peanut gallery, who knows NOTHING.
And I assume you run multiple million-dollar enterprises. Maybe you do. I still don't admire you. Just another whining businessman.

Yes, only by knowing every aspect of business can I have any opinion. I don't need to become a plumber to know if a plumber has done a bad job.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I'm glad my life is not as sad as yours

It is very sad that your community relies on a person so much, that they cannot risk the time off and letting the people they service, go without.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
You'd think people had to work 7 days a week. Almost everybody gets 2 days vacation out of every 7.
Theres' no end to the 'gimmies'

Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
The United States is the only developed country that does not guarantee by law paid vacation for full time workers.
Sounds fair. Employment and vacation is between employer and employee, not the govt.

Quote:

That does not mean American workers do not get paid vacation. Statistics show that 77% of employees get paid vacation. How much paid vacation? An avg of 13 day a year. Not much when compared to Europe and Asia. When I worked in England I was guaranteed by law 28 days of holiday time. I work a similar job in the U.S and I get two weeks vacation but am forced to take it during the Christmas and New Years holiday, when we are slowest at work.

It is up to you to balance the vacation days of an employer with the salary and benefits. At my employer I get 23 days vacation. I am buying a additional 5 for 28 total days next year. . Plus my employer has around ~9 holidays. The standard stuff.

The vacation day policy has ALWAYS heavily factored into my job acceptance and benefit negotiation.

Quote:
But I'm still one of the lucky ones in America. See that 77%? It only includes employees. The trend in American business has been for some time to hire workers as "independent contractors."
My wife just took such a job (temp to hire) and understood the benefits before she started.

Quote:
This is happening in industries like health care,logistics, and IT. It's happening everywhere. Why is it happening? Because if you are hired as an independent contractor the company doesn't have to pay you overtime by law. And they won't be giving you paid vacation either. So that 77%? If you factor in all American full time workers it's probably closer to 65%. And that's a whole lot of American workers that are getting no paid vacation.
We aren't slaves - you don't like the higher salary/non-benefit/contract jobs. . .find one with vacation time.

Quote:
I think this is immoral.
Immoral is not allowing people the freedom to balance their benefit needs.

Quote:
They thought it was really bad for business. Overworked employees that don't have a chance to re-charge their batteries in the long run are not efficient employees. This was their argument.
So if its bad for employees (and thus bad for employers) why do we need the govt involved? Don't you think employers are SMART enough to realize this without govt's help?

Quote:
"No benefits.No overtime pay. No paid vacation." I was pretty shocked.
That was HIS personal decision.

What you left out is the fact that he would have 0 job if it wasn't for this gig. If Fedex had to only hire employees with benefits - there is a very good chance your friend wouldn't' of gotten hired.

If you set a minimum wage/benefit what you normally get is lower employment. . . Fedex hires 10 workers at 110 or 11 workers at 110. . .but the most they pay doesn't change.

Just look at the unemployment rates in UK, Europe, etc. . .there is a reason they are so much higher.

Quote:

So, here is my question. And as usual, I've gone on a bit of a chin-wag to get to it. Should the government guarantee that all workers be allowed a certain amount of paid vacation by law? And what should that amount be?

And if you don't believe that there should be laws requiring vacation time then please explain why. If you're argument is that government should leave business and people alone you should know that there are already laws on the books regarding overtime.

Well I don't believe there should be laws on the book regarding overtime, vacation, holidays, etc. The only regulation/laws is when it comes to safety (doctors/pilots and how many hours worked without rest).

This is a fundamental employee/employer decision. I am quite happy how mine turned out . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies