Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Imagine what the Taliban would love to do to a blonde haired all American girl captured as a result of being on the front lines.
That's for her to find out... and you don't think a pretty blond-haired man is also in danger out there? You all use the same irrelevant arguments, none of which are good reasons to stop women from trying. Is this an attempt to fool us with faux compassion? If so, it's not working.

Why don't Israeli soldiers seem to have this concern, when they're in CONSTANT hostile situations - even during relative times of "peace?" I went to Israel during the first Gulf War, watched women in training, and not one man on their squad (whatever you call it) batted an eyelash. They were soldiers first, just like their male counterparts in uniform.

Give us some credit, and let us decide whether we're willing to put our lives & bodies on the line. Fair enough? That's really all these women are asking, just the freedom and opportunity to TRY. It would also have been nice to read more "good for them!" replies to this story, which was my only thought when I read it before seeing this thread. How sad that you've all managed to turn it into a misogynistic (and in some cases partisan) crapfest.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-21-2013 at 01:18 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 01:14 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Imagine what the Taliban would love to do to a blonde haired all American girl captured as a result of being on the front lines.
Guess you missed the memo where our guys had their penis's cut off and stuck in their mouths (sorry to be so graphic). Our men have also been raped. Congratulations to the three gals who made it.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's for her to find out... and you don't think a pretty blond-haired man is also in danger out there? You all use the same irrelevant arguments, none of which are good reasons to stop women from trying. Is this an attempt to fool us with faux compassion? If so, it's not working.

Why don't Israeli soldiers seem to have this concern, when they're in CONSTANT hostile situations - even during relative times of "peace?" I went to Israel during the first Gulf War, watched women in training, and not one man on their squad (whatever you call it) batted an eyelash. They were soldiers first, no different from the male soldiers except in basic appearance.

Give us some credit, and let us decide whether we're willing to put our lives & bodies on the line. Fair enough? That's really all these women are asking, just the freedom and opportunity to TRY. It would also have been nice to read more "good for them!" replies to this story, which was my only thought when I read it before seeing this thread. How sad that you've all managed to turn it into a misogynistic (and in some cases partisan) crapfest.
I'm not sure why you're surprised. The guy you voted for in the last 2 presidential elections makes everything a partisan issue. Yet you only complain about it when it's convenient for your argument.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
But if SHE WANTS TO, let her! I'm sure she is tough enough to handle it, at least according to the gizmos of the world, who know so much more than the rest of us about wars and fighting and the military.
OMG. Are you unable to read my posts, or what?!

Not once have I claimed to have extensive knowledge of the military/war, nor do I care to personally find out... but your incessant jabs at me (someone who has never even considered joining, and is too old now) still have ZERO to do with a woman's right to attempt this goal. You haven't even noticed that I've yet to argue with your points, regarding a woman's ability to handle combat. I might agree with you about that, in fact, but still think WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO TRY. We're also in more danger than a man while walking through a bad neighborhood, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to do so if we choose. Get it now, or do I have to literally bang my head to get through to you?

Thanks for driving the point home about sexism, though. I'll be sure to bookmark this, for the next time we're taunted for saying it's still an issue.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-21-2013 at 01:44 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I'm not sure why you're surprised. The guy you voted for in the last 2 presidential elections makes everything a partisan issue. Yet you only complain about it when it's convenient for your argument.
Yet again you pretend to know who I voted for, and continue to deflect when you fail to muster up any semblance of an argument. You won't even acknowledge when you're wrong, like the assumption about me voting for Pelosi.

I'm actually an Independent (as I said a page or two back), so what are you babbling about exactly? I abhor the BS partisan bickering, whether it's coming from Obama or some stranger on the forum, so try again. Actually, don't bother... I'll just say good for them, as we should all be saying here. Pretty disrespectful how so many here have failed to congratulate them, just because they have vaginas.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-21-2013 at 01:49 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 01:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by fibonacci

Imagine what the Taliban would love to do to a
blonde haired all American girl captured as a result of being on the front
lines.
I'm imagining it........ oh NO! I think they'd hurt her! Bad!
And here I was, all this time, thinking they'd invite her into their cozy cave for falafel and tea.

Do you really think women don't consider that when they sign up?

Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,286 times
It's a great country where women can sign up to fight for their country and the freedom of their fellow citizens to sit in front of their computer screens and tell them they're not good enough to fight for their country.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm imagining it........ oh NO! I think they'd hurt her! Bad!
And here I was, all this time, thinking they'd invite her into their cozy cave for falafel and tea.

Do you really think women don't consider that when they sign up?
They honestly think we're stupid, don't they? Meanwhile, they can't even muster up any reasons against allowing us the chance - outside of "but they're so pretty, they might get raped" or "they should be protected to make babies." Did we step into a time machine, and go back to 1940?

One doesn't even need to be a "militant feminist" to see how ridiculous these comments are! Just being a woman with a brain in 2013 is enough, really.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They honestly think we're stupid, don't they? Meanwhile, they can't even muster up any reasons against allowing us the chance - outside of "but they're so pretty, they might get raped" or "they should be protected to make babies." Did we step into a time machine, and go back to 1940?

One doesn't even need to be a "militant feminist" to see how ridiculous these comments are! Just being a woman with a brain in 2013 is enough, really.
Well, we've had women on the front lines, in combat, for a while now (since 1989), with no problems, so yeah. When I come here I expect to run into Dr. Who.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
It's a great country where women can sign up to fight for their country and the freedom of their fellow citizens to sit in front of their computer screens and tell them they're not good enough to fight for their country.
It is a stupid country where women are not required to meet the same standards as men for combat. Unless, of course, your goal is to get as many women killed as possible. Do not look now, but your hatred for women in showing. You do not care how many are killed, as long as their is the perception that women are being treated equally, when in reality they are not.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-21-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies