Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

This must explain why President Obama thought there are 57 states.

Harvard graduates a lot of liberals.

No wonder a disaster like healthcare.gov was created by them.

It is par for the course.
You have no way of knowing what the political ideology is of any of the responders, i'm sure if you went to any school in the USA you'd probably get similar responses as students arent expected to know everything on a geographical level,.
As for your dubious connection to Obama, these kids didnt know the capital of Canada, Obama did know how many states there were he just made an error with the 57. As usual Harrier grasps at straws to embellish his hatred of his country's leader.

For your enjoyment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA

And a few Harvard Alumni for your perusal
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/breaking...all-time.html/

Last edited by jambo101; 11-21-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Harrier is a proud Bronco.

Cal Poly Pomona.
While SAT scores aren't everything, the 25%-75% reading scores for Cal Poly Pomona are only 460-580 and math is only 490-630, out of 800. I wouldn't be bragging that much with those stats. An average student only needs a 1080 on the SAT (old style) to gain acceptance.

Meanwhile, Harvard's BOTTOM 25% are 690 and 700 respectively. Only a handful of Cal Poly Pomona students would ever have a shot at Harvard - and those are probably the students on full academic scholarships. My own alma mater's bottom 25% is still higher than your 75th percentile. Check yourself before you diss the academic accomplishments of some of the most talented people in the country.

Students don't typically study geography in so far as memorizing capitols past middle school. As many others have noted, Americans are often woefully ignorant of the world outside of their door. Heck - growing up in Georgia, I once had a dental hygenist tell me the CURRENT capitol of Georgia was Macon. And this was shortly before the 1996 Olympics! I can guarantee you that this person was not a liberal. I'm sure if you walked around your office, apartment building, or street and asked everyone you saw what the capitol of Canada was you would get a lot of Toronto's no matter what the political climate. In fact, on the west coast, you might get a few Vancouver's just like I would get a few Quebec's here in New England. Ottawa is often ignored completely in the US.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
While SAT scores aren't everything, the 25%-75% reading scores for Cal Poly Pomona are only 460-580 and math is only 490-630, out of 800. I wouldn't be bragging that much with those stats. An average student only needs a 1080 on the SAT (old style) to gain acceptance.

Meanwhile, Harvard's BOTTOM 25% are 690 and 700 respectively. Only a handful of Cal Poly Pomona students would ever have a shot at Harvard - and those are probably the students on full academic scholarships. My own alma mater's bottom 25% is still higher than your 75th percentile. Check yourself before you diss the academic accomplishments of some of the most talented people in the country.

Students don't typically study geography in so far as memorizing capitols past middle school. As many others have noted, Americans are often woefully ignorant of the world outside of their door. Heck - growing up in Georgia, I once had a dental hygenist tell me the CURRENT capitol of Georgia was Macon. And this was shortly before the 1996 Olympics! I can guarantee you that this person was not a liberal. I'm sure if you walked around your office, apartment building, or street and asked everyone you saw what the capitol of Canada was you would get a lot of Toronto's no matter what the political climate. In fact, on the west coast, you might get a few Vancouver's just like I would get a few Quebec's here in New England. Ottawa is often ignored completely in the US.
You know, perhaps we lefties should start a straw man thread of our own and boast about our alma maters.

Except, of course, that's stupid because both lefties and righties attend excellent schools. Leave it to Harrier to be the only one who doesn't understand this.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:52 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Yup. Here we are again. A blind fool taking a non-issue and attempting to spin it into a smear campaign against liberals.

Man you make all conservatives look bad and make moderates (such as myself) shake their head and wonder if it's ever a good time to vote Republican because of mamalukes like you.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
I am glad that we are back to Obama's days at school! I really missed that not to mention his birth certificate. What's up guys? Asleep at the wheel? With all this talk about Obamacare, not a single word about him been born in Kenya?
Anyway, what's the capital of Canada?

Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I bet more than half of the people in this thread couldn't have named the capital of Canada without looking it up. I also bet that half didn't all attend Harvard College.
I waited for a member to post it, so there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
A few years ago I went on my first trip to Canada to visit Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City.

At the border, I was asked the purpose of my trip and where I was going. I suffered a brain fart and blurted "Montreal and Ontario City".

I was directed to go wait in the inspection line instead of being passed through. I probably made them suspicious or they just wanted to punish the idiot who didn't know their country.
Thank you, I thought I was being singled out for being a US citizen.

Hauled aircraft tires up to Ontario, after the delivery, I headed back for the US border. At the border, Canadian authorities asked what my business was in Canada. I replied that I was delivering aircraft tires, they instructed me to pull over, 3 guys slipped on rubber gloves, and searched my delivery van thoroughly, even my grip where I kept my toiletries and clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, off topic, but this reminded me of my own goof at the Canadian border. I had been driving for about 10 hours straight and I was pretty tired. When I got to the border I was asked why I was going to Canada.

My response: "For a cheap vacation."

My car was searched!
That was too funny, thanks!

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 11-21-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
President Obama attended Harvard and is a liberal.

He is responsible for the failed government takeover of a major sector of American commerce - healthcare.

What does that say about liberals - especially since Harvard students can't name the capital of Canada?
Lots of conservatives attend Harvard. What does it say about them?
Stupid topic stupidly presented. Harrier needs get out of the basement more often.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Lots of conservatives attend Harvard. What does it say about them?
Stupid topic stupidly presented. Harrier needs get out of the basement more often.
Where's the Olympic pole dancing thread at?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
I just asked my extremely Republican father (who has a PhD and 2 Master's degrees) the capital of Canada and he had no idea and told me he didn't care.

What does that say about Republicans?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I just asked my extremely Republican father (who has a PhD and 2 Master's degrees) the capital of Canada and he had no idea and told me he didn't care.

What does that say about Republicans?
A better question is what does this say about the general attitude towards the subject of geography?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies