Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:09 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times

Advertisements

As a person who had to apply for a CCW permit and submit to a background check including fingerprinting I resent that others go to gun shows and buy from private individuals without any background checks.
How are we ever going to keep guns out of the hands of the loonies if so called respectable gun owners sell their guns at shows or out of the back of their cars?

Stop with the 2nd amendment BS. loonies and half wits and those with felonies do not deserve to own weapons.

Pretty sure many of those waving the 2nd amendment flag are buying guns without background checks because they couldn't pass one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,746,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As a person who had to apply for a CCW permit and submit to a background check including fingerprinting I resent that others go to gun shows and buy from private individuals without any background checks.
How are we ever going to keep guns out of the hands of the loonies if so called respectable gun owners sell their guns at shows or out of the back of their cars?

Stop with the 2nd amendment BS. loonies and half wits and those with felonies do not deserve to own weapons.

Pretty sure many of those waving the 2nd amendment flag are buying guns without background checks because they couldn't pass one.
So we need to pass more laws that will do nothing be restrict liberty and freedom because you feel resentful...

What is to stop criminals from buying on the black market? No, why? because you cant stop criminals from breaking the law.

That is not your or anyone to "decide" who has what freedoms, if a man has paid his debt to society, he should and will get his rights back, and of story, if he is to dangerous to own a firearm, why the hell is he out in society?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

I'm not sure exactly what your point is here. I we t through the process for my CCW too, and I have both bought and sold guns privately as well. I don't sling them out of my trunk to just anyone, but no, I don't inform LE that I have sold or bought a gun from someone and run their DL either. Nor do I think we should be required to do so.

Requiring a background check on private sales creates a registry. The make, model and serial number if the gun will be recorded, and both buyer and seller as well. This is a bit to invasive for my taste.Regulations and requirements for private sales will be far more invasive and restrictive than buying from a dealer, and won't do a thing to stop illegal sales. There is no way to enforce private sale backvround checks without requiring ALL firearms owners to register their guns and having to submit to audits. Those who sell to criminals and the criminals who buy from them won't be effected by such restrictions and invasions of privacy.

Contrary to propaganda, criminals do not frequent gun shows, as vendors are all FFLs, and sales subject to background checks, and guns for private sale are to expensive. The "gun show loophole" is a myth.

As to being resentful because you had to submit to the process for your CCW, bear in mind that buying a handgun does not impart the right to carry it concealed. Most states require the backvround check and license fees for that. AZ being the only state I know of that doesn't. Nobody is vetting off any easier than you in that regard.

Things are a bit more complicated than you seem to have the impression they are.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm not sure exactly what your point is here. I we t through the process for my CCW too, and I have both bought and sold guns privately as well. I don't sling them out of my trunk to just anyone, but no, I don't inform LE that I have sold or bought a gun from someone and run their DL either. Nor do I think we should be required to do so.

Requiring a background check on private sales creates a registry. The make, model and serial number if the gun will be recorded, and both buyer and seller as well. This is a bit to invasive for my taste.Regulations and requirements for private sales will be far more invasive and restrictive than buying from a dealer, and won't do a thing to stop illegal sales. There is no way to enforce private sale backvround checks without requiring ALL firearms owners to register their guns and having to submit to audits. Those who sell to criminals and the criminals who buy from them won't be effected by such restrictions and invasions of privacy.

Contrary to propaganda, criminals do not frequent gun shows, as vendors are all FFLs, and sales subject to background checks, and guns for private sale are to expensive. The "gun show loophole" is a myth.

As to being resentful because you had to submit to the process for your CCW, bear in mind that buying a handgun does not impart the right to carry it concealed. Most states require the backvround check and license fees for that. AZ being the only state I know of that doesn't. Nobody is vetting off any easier than you in that regard.

Things are a bit more complicated than you seem to have the impression they are.
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Vermont
Wyoming (for residents)

Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post

New York’s SAFE Act is a bad, bad thing. It requires people to register, sell or transfer (out of state) “assault rifles†and “high capacity†magazines. Many Empire State gun and standard capacity ammunition magazine owners have complied. Many have not. So, at some point, the State’s gonna go get ‘em. People on both sides of the law enforcement divide might die and the s will hit the fan. Meanwhile, there it is: the reason why expanded background checks, indeed all background checks and any type of registration, set the stage for confiscation. And tyranny.

This goes to show how the Civilian Disarmament Complex never stops, and is never to be compromised with.

Once again, We were right, and we will say "I Told You So".
I have no problem with anyone owning guns but they should be registered. And a background check should be the norm.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I have no problem with anyone owning guns but they should be registered. And a background check should be the norm.
Well the 2nd Amendment and 4th Amendment are not for a debate. Firearm Registration always leads to Confiscation.

You opinions or emotions do not altar the fact the most firearm that are used by criminals are bought though legal channels. So this idea that criminals use gun shows is a lie.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Well the 2nd Amendment and 4th Amendment are not for a debate. Firearm Registration always leads to Confiscation.

You opinions or emotions do not altar the fact the most firearm that are used by criminals are bought though legal channels. So this idea that criminals use gun shows is a lie.
I would have no problem going through a background check or registering my guns. What are you so afraid of.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
I would have no problem going through a background check or registering my guns. What are you so afraid of.
A background check is SOP at purchase from gun stores. When you start talking registration, this has always led to bans and confiscations/turn in requirements. Starting with certain types of firearms and working through to the rest. Afraid? More just cautious and untrusting of government. If my firearms are registered, and some arbitrary law is passed saying I have no "need" of a particular one I own, even though I vehemently disagree, nothing is stopping the government from declaring me a threat to society, even though I have never violated any law, stomping in my door and hauling me to jail. Me and a lot of other people, and they will probably turn real criminals loose to make room for us. The government having that kind of power does make me a bit nervous. It's none of the governments business what guns I own, anx tbem having tbat knowledge gives them power to make "preemptive strikes". Deprivinv me of property and liberty because tbey THINK I MIGHT be a risk. Nope...I'm not buying into that.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Having my privacy invaded and firearms confiscated..Natalie, have you read even studied the last 150 year of history and seen what happens when people register they firearms?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,227 times
I have done a search for information about this confiscation and the only thing I am coming up with is the news blast back in April where law abiding gun owners, with no criminal record at all, were being forced to turn in their guns because they took anti-anxiety medication or medications for issues such as ADHD. I'd really like to see something more. Not saying it's not occurring, there's just no news about this by any media source or gun organization that is against violation of citizens' SA rights.

There was such a media blast about that back in April, I can't imagine this would be going under the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies