Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
How kind of you, to offer your expertise in running an organization of 1.5 million employees, $200 billion worth of stores and inventory and distribution centers and other assets, and more than $1 billion per day in revenues.

I do not think Walmart is in danger of sinking, except perhaps under the weight of politically motivated attacks that will impair its sustainability. When an employee walks off the job and does not return, that is evidence that below-market wages are being paid. When employees punch in every day, faithfully, they have evidently determined that the highest and best use of their time is to show up at Walmart for the agreed-upon wage. You sound as if you think you know better than those 1.5 million employees, about what is best for each one of them. I do not believe that is possible to pay more than market value on a sustainable basis, and the UAW proved it.

As did the Hostess "No, we will not allow 2 products on one truck" truckers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
[/b]

As did the Hostess "No, we will not allow 2 products on one truck" truckers.

GREAT post. The list of examples of this concept, that it is not possible to sustainably pay more than market value for labor, would be very, very long.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Ahh, we're going to blame the recession now. Sorry, that dog doesn't hunt. At no point in the last 30 years have minimum wage earners been considered anything other than comparatively poor. We haven't had a 30 year long recession, have we? The minimum wage has more than doubled since 1980, yet people earning minimum wage have remained comparatively poor. This is because raising the minimum wage does not, has not, and will not life minimum wage earners out of poverty. What will lift them out of poverty is their own willingness to do something that pays more than minimum wage. The entire victim mindset of those making minimum wage and those who are supposedly trying to help them by pushing for a higher minimum wage is just a bunch of smoke. You don't need a college degree to make more than minimum, you need a work ethic and the determination to improve your lot in life.
Minimum wage workers are poor today becasue while the minimum wage has doubled, rent has more than quintupled. To name only one thing that people on minimum wage need to survive: shelter. How can you ignore that fact in your argument? That's why Conservatives FAIL. They repeat the exact same argument ad nauseum without reference to any new insights gained from time or perspective. Even though we KNOW that employers are NOT HIRING a Conservative will say that people don't have jobs because they are lazy. Is their a name for this kind of disconnect from reality? I'm fairly good with words and even I don't have one that fully captures the... the... honestly, I think I would shoot myself in frustration if I couldnt' bring a wider array of argument tools to my case.

H

Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Minimum wage workers are poor today becasue while the minimum wage has doubled, rent has more than quintupled. To name only one thing that people on minimum wage need to survive: shelter. How can you ignore that fact in your argument? That's why Conservatives FAIL. They repeat the exact same argument ad nauseum without reference to any new insights gained from time or perspective. Even though we KNOW that employers are NOT HIRING a Conservative will say that people don't have jobs because they are lazy. Is their a name for this kind of disconnect from reality? I'm fairly good with words and even I don't have one that fully captures the... the... honestly, I think I would shoot myself in frustration if I couldnt' bring a wider array of argument tools to my case.

H
Why did rent rise? Maybe it has something to do with raising the minimum wage?

Look, you can't legislate math or economics. It doesn't work. You can create an artificial demand and supply but that wouldn't last.

In this market economy, arbitrarily setting and raising the minimum wage is nothing but creating inflation. That's just simple math, nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:

H
First, I'm actually not a conservative. Second, minimum wage workers are poor today because they make minimum wage, just like they were poor in the 80's because they made minimum wage. Minimum wage workers will be poor even if minimum wage gets raised to $15 per hour. Why? Because they make minimum wage. Minimum wage is exactly that - the absolute minimum that an employer is required to pay an employee for an hourly, non-tip position. Since it is the minimum, it is what all other wages are based on. This means that someone making minimum wage will be poor compared to someone making double the minimum wage, no matter how many times you raise the minimum wage. You are advocating feel-good legislation which you think will force people out of poverty. It won't. What it will do is make it less likely that they will be able to find a minimum wage job, because it will encourage employers to find more cost-efficient ways to do business.

Quote:
Even though we KNOW that employers are NOT HIRING a Conservative will say that people don't have jobs because they are lazy.
You can quit with the argument that employers aren't hiring. Yes, they are hiring. In fact, there are several fields that one can get hired into without a degree and that don't pay minimum wage. Customer service reps are one of those fields. Cable installation is another. You can also include satellite installation, phone installation, warehousing, truck driving, and numerous others. Are they all fun, happy jobs? Nope, but they don't pay minimum wage and they're needing people to do the jobs. For that matter, I manage to bring in an income that is far above minimum wage and I'm not employed anywhere. I don't have an advanced degree, I don't have any piece of paper which says that I'm more qualified than the average minimum wage worker. What I do have is knowledge that I have taken the time and made the effort to accumulate on my own and a work ethic. Blaming employers for the fact that some people are trying to turn minimum wage jobs into a career is nothing but political grandstanding and hatred. If you don't want to make minimum wage, do something about it. Stop passing the buck, pull your boots on tight, and work at making your lot in life better. There's no reason to trash the economy so that you can have a brief moment of happiness before reality rears its ugly head and stomps on your dreams again.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:

H
Umm, in 1972 I made the minimum wage of $1.60 per hour.

Since then, you are right, prices have gone up a LOT: 468%, using the Consumer Price Index.

And the Federal Minimum Wage has not kept pace: up 353%, from $1.60 to $7.25.

So it is a pretty good thing that my actual income went up 7,412%. How many actual people making the minimum wage in 1972 are still making minimum wage today? The answer to that tells you how ridiculous it is to talk about trends in the minimum wage over extended periods.

The biggest benefit of a no-skills job is that it is a JOB and gives people the chance to build some skills, attitudes, habits etc. that will enable them to be increasingly valuable and capable of earning higher wages over time. Screw it up by pricing no-skills labor above its market value, and you will cut the number of jobs available. An iron law, immutable, is that when you raise the cost of something, all other things being equal, less will be demanded.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I guess you forgot we are in a recession. In 1980 the min wage was $3.10 so in 33 years the min wage has only gone up $4.15 not that much really.
It's about a 133% increase. Not much? Seriously? It's more than doubled.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Here's a question for those who don't support high wages. What do you think the lowest legal wage should be? $0?
Nonexistent‎. That is what minimum wage should be.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:47 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
First, I'm actually not a conservative. Second, minimum wage workers are poor today because they make minimum wage, just like they were poor in the 80's because they made minimum wage. Minimum wage workers will be poor even if minimum wage gets raised to $15 per hour. Why? Because they make minimum wage. Minimum wage is exactly that - the absolute minimum that an employer is required to pay an employee for an hourly, non-tip position. Since it is the minimum, it is what all other wages are based on. This means that someone making minimum wage will be poor compared to someone making double the minimum wage, no matter how many times you raise the minimum wage. You are advocating feel-good legislation which you think will force people out of poverty. It won't. What it will do is make it less likely that they will be able to find a minimum wage job, because it will encourage employers to find more cost-efficient ways to do business.

You can quit with the argument that employers aren't hiring. Yes, they are hiring. In fact, there are several fields that one can get hired into without a degree and that don't pay minimum wage. Customer service reps are one of those fields. Cable installation is another. You can also include satellite installation, phone installation, warehousing, truck driving, and numerous others. Are they all fun, happy jobs? Nope, but they don't pay minimum wage and they're needing people to do the jobs. For that matter, I manage to bring in an income that is far above minimum wage and I'm not employed anywhere. I don't have an advanced degree, I don't have any piece of paper which says that I'm more qualified than the average minimum wage worker. What I do have is knowledge that I have taken the time and made the effort to accumulate on my own and a work ethic. Blaming employers for the fact that some people are trying to turn minimum wage jobs into a career is nothing but political grandstanding and hatred. If you don't want to make minimum wage, do something about it. Stop passing the buck, pull your boots on tight, and work at making your lot in life better. There's no reason to trash the economy so that you can have a brief moment of happiness before reality rears its ugly head and stomps on your dreams again.
Yes they still will be poor compared to someone making twice amount seems common sense it is not about making min wage compared to others it is about keeping it up with inflation and cost of living. You do not need a degree for these jobs but many of those you need skills to do this job not everyone is good with working with their hands, not everyone is a good driver. People turn min wage jobs for career for many reasons not smart or ability to do it, not money to train not enough jobs even if people do this there are not enough of these jobs for everyone someone has to work min wage jobs. Seems you are the one hating on poor people. Go on with your bootstrapping hatred filled ideals you are just showing how ignorant you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies