Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Only 12% of min wage jobs are held by teens.

Is it the fault of the life raft that the Titanic sunk

Today upwards of 40% of people are trying to use minimum wage jobs to sustain a family. The fact is. . .that isn't how it always was. These jobs were -at one time - mostly used by teens or college students or secondary income (teens is just a small sliver)

Upping minimum wage (or having one) is a bandaid for cancer. Your not addressing the true issue

why can't these guys get the education, training, and capability to do a job that takes more skill/expertise than a teenager or non-english speaker

I do not think the solution here is to raise the wage

it is to provide better transition and education

People shouldn't be raising families on a minimum wage job, but its not wal-marts fault these people come to wal mart for a job. walmart shouldn't be out of pocket because they are the ONLY ones who hire these people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
As I said before there has been some muddying of the waters in recent years regarding economists views of the minimum wage. But still Krugman's view of it is in the minority. Most still adhere to the standard model. I doubt that there is no evidence of job loss from states with high minimum wage.

I live in WA, which has the highest minimum wage of any state at $9.19. Idaho next door uses the federal minimum of $7.25. Their unemployment rate is invariably lower than ours, even though we have a more diverse economy (Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, etc), several ports, and other advantages.

Thus I would disagree with Krugman that there is no evidence of effect from state to state.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
My pleasure. It was in today's paper:

The Minimum We Can Do

The above (see bold area) undercuts your assertion.
Hardly. There will be some short-termers in the population, and they will temporarily skew the demographics, but they are not the problem. The problem is too many have wanted the nanny statists to overcome their own lack of motivation.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Just a simple question hopefully to help you understand.

Why do companies move jobs to places like India or China? The answer is "cheaper labor cost."

So if that's the case, how does raising the minimum wage help anybody?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Great post, ChrisfromChicago.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Is it the fault of the life raft that the Titanic sunk

Today upwards of 40% of people are trying to use minimum wage jobs to sustain a family. The fact is. . .that isn't how it always was. These jobs were -at one time - mostly used by teens or college students or secondary income (teens is just a small sliver)

Upping minimum wage (or having one) is a bandaid for cancer. Your not addressing the true issue

why can't these guys get the education, training, and capability to do a job that takes more skill/expertise than a teenager or non-english speaker

I do not think the solution here is to raise the wage

it is to provide better transition and education

People shouldn't be raising families on a minimum wage job, but its not wal-marts fault these people come to wal mart for a job. walmart shouldn't be out of pocket because they are the ONLY ones who hire these people

No money?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
My pleasure. It was in today's paper:

The Minimum We Can Do
So your source was an opinion blog post.. ok.

Digging deeper, we find that their source was BLS data from 2011 (it was linked in his article, in the paragraph that cited the 12% number).

In that source article, it's claimed that "workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly-paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less."

So half of minimum wage workers are 25 or younger. Exactly the people who should be holding those jobs.

We also find that "[a]mong employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 23 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over."

So of those over age 25, only about 3% are earning minimum wage.

That's a very important statistic in this debate, so I'm going to repeat it.

So of those over age 25, only about 3% are earning minimum wage.

Pretty much blows away the entire argument of the "living wage" crowd. Thanks for the link that led to that data - I've bookmarked it for future use. Basically, you've ended the debate, however unintentional it may have been.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No money?
I don't think libraries charge for books or the Internet. Plus most jobs, even the minimum wage jobs, provide on the job training.

I am not sure how many of you having dealt with people working at the minimum wage. I highly suggest you to deal with some of them and then you understand why they are paid at that level.

I think don't even bother with education. Just teach people the basic work ethics. It would help majority of them to move away from the minimum wage. Believe it or not, people need to be taught just to show up on time.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Personally, I think there should be no wage at all unless one is an executive manager. It is your duty as a productive US citizen to contribute to the well being of society by A) working as hard as possible to increase productivity, and B) sacrificing compensation for the betterment of your executive management team. They will then help society by spending all that money on goods they consume, and also reinvest it in other ventures, leading to more employment. Your corporate overlords were very gracious in extending an offer to employ you at all, so be thankful and don't get cocky. Remember, they don't need you, their success, and thus the rewards of it, rest entirely upon their own shoulders. Bank on it, citizen.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Just a simple question hopefully to help you understand.

Why do companies move jobs to places like India or China? The answer is "cheaper labor cost."

So if that's the case, how does raising the minimum wage help anybody?

Fast food jobs can't be moved to India or China.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies