Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Poor people are creative as hell. They have to be. The Asiatic history of having authoritarian rulers doesn't encourage thinking. This comtinues to this day in Communist nations there.

No Asian nation had an equivalent freeing of thought and intellectual foment like the Renaissance.

Don't blame poverty, its lazy. There are cultural underpinnings at work with their rote schooling.
Evidence? Any concrete evidence that shows Asian students of today are not as creative as American students? Show me.

They were poor so they could not have many contributions in science and technology, because research needs funding.

In terms of "thinking", all major religions in the world originate in Asia. Europeans are just followers.
However, East Asian nations are also the first ones to be agnostic/atheist/secular in the world, which demands some level of "critical thinking" to begin with.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
They are a small homogeneous nation with an overall high IQ.
Oh! Was wondering when this little gem was going to come up

Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Since I was commenting on Finland, I'll ignore Canada. Everyone else does,
also.
What are you, eight?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
They were in the phase of learning.
However Japan, South Korea and even China are inventing more and more.
China I'm not sure about. South Korea is getting there. Japan is blowing past them. Europeans may have invented the 19th century and early 20th, the Chinese invented the one thing that allowed white people to colonize the world: gunpowder. I think the21st will belong to South Korea and Japan, especially, with their huge investments in robotics and automation technology.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
There is no turning this around. It will never happen.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What are you, eight?
You just ignored everything I posted and focused on this. What are you, eight?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
There are several reasons for this, with a few suggestions:

1. Kids should go to school on Saturday, at least for certain weeks.
2. They need to eliminate this ridiculous summer break where kids lose 1/3 of what they learned all year.
3. They should separate girls and boy in academic classes
4. It should be easier to expel trouble-makers
5. Parents need to be involved in their kid's education
6. They should identify kids who want to learn a technical skill and kids who are more scholastic minded, and train them accordingly (not everyone should get a 4, 5, 6 or 8 year college degree).
7. Work with unions to make it easier to get rid of poor teachers
8. Change the anti-intellectual culture of US teens.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There have been various documentaries on Asian schools. Many are more like military drill classes. That kind of environment and treatment might not be ideal for producing creative and special people with strong personalities.
And being a strong personality and "special" a good idea. Let's see, it isn't doing much for the millennials because many are unemployed if not underemployed after graduating college. Perhaps military school is what we need, so long as helicopter parents don't get involved. Worked for many years...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
1. Kids should go to school on Saturday, at least for certain weeks.
What benefit would this actually bring?

Quote:
2. They need to eliminate this ridiculous summer break where kids lose 1/3 of what they learned all year.
Summer break is why 1/3 of what is learned is lost. I can't recall stuff all the time just because I have to remember so many different things for the different classes and not all of it is useful. I mean the species breakdown is unnecessary unless you are biology or botany major.

Quote:
3. They should separate girls and boy in academic classes
Again, what benefit comes from this? They may not see eachother in school but it would encourage cutting class or being tardy between classes.

Quote:
4. It should be easier to expel trouble-makers
There have been looks at the trouble makers sometimes the "trouble makers" aren't doing anything wrong.

Quote:
5. Parents need to be involved in their kid's education
This is the first thing I entirely agree with you on. Parents need to be held accountable in someway.

Quote:
6. They should identify kids who want to learn a technical skill and kids who are more scholastic minded, and train them accordingly (not everyone should get a 4, 5, 6 or 8 year college degree).
Again you have a good point. The college track is not perfect for everyone, neither is the trades track. Part of this issue is we only see junior and senior year for learning what you want do for the next X years of your life. That isn't enough time.

Quote:
7. Work with unions to make it easier to get rid of poor teachers
I think that is the start. I think the main issue is the whole tenure issue. After they get tenure, they really don't care if they are good or bad anymore.

Quote:
8. Change the anti-intellectual culture of US teens.
I think we need to get rid of standardized tests. Some people HATED them with a passion while me I was so good at them that I didn't care when it came to homework. I knew the tests would sway it so when I did great, I'd pass.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You just ignored everything I posted and focused on this. What are you, eight?
YOU just ignored the entire slew of countries that are doing better than you, and chose to harp about Finland and forcing kids into vocational and trade schools to do construction and work in restaurants. What about all the other countries which are leaving you in the dust?
Oh, they don't count. Nobody cares about them, right? They don't matter.
You'd rather cut off out nose to spite your face rather than admit that maybe, just maybe, you could learn from other countries instead of dredging up lame excuses on why you're doing so poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies