Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? What's so important about math scores? How often do you actually USE your high school math in your daily life? It's important for engineers but not for most of us.
Another reason for the dumbing down of America.
"Nah, we don't need no stinking math!"

Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
If you break it down by State, Massachusetts is second in the World for science (after Singapore), perhaps a model?
And specifically China, Russia don't educate everyone, only the best, imagine taking out the bottom ~20% of US test scores, so it's not a measure of the countries intelligence but rather the educational system.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And being a strong personality and "special" a good idea. Let's see, it isn't doing much for the millennials because many are unemployed if not underemployed after graduating college. Perhaps military school is what we need, so long as helicopter parents don't get involved. Worked for many years...
It is not graduates' fault if the US economy is a mess. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. You can also see it in Spain, Portugal etc. Lots of highly educated graduates who have to emigrate as there are no jobs for them at home, not money to start their own businesses.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you break it down by State, Massachusetts is second in the World for science (after Singapore), perhaps a model?
And specifically China, Russia don't educate everyone, only the best, imagine taking out the bottom ~20% of US test scores, so it's not a measure of the countries intelligence but rather the educational system.
MA HAD an excellent system.
They applied for and received RTT money which meant they had to switch to Common Core.
They did but just recently voiced concerns and put a 2 year halt on it.
The disastrous results from NY may have swayed them.

Taking RTT money meant that states had to switch over to the CC curriculum.
Next year they have to start using the CC tests. NY moved quicker though and used the CC tests and the results were horrible.

More states are now voicing concerns and backing off full implementation.
I don't know how that will turn out since they took RTT money which came with strings attached.
So far the Dept of Education has stayed mum on this.

Only 5 states have said no to Common Core. The others are in varying stages of implementation.
I think NY was the first to jump on board and into the deep end of the pool.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
??? What's so important about math scores? How often do you actually USE your high school math in your daily life? It's important for engineers but not for most of us.
If you are good at math your odds of ending up in a job with decent pay goes way up IMO.

Given all the threads complaining about good paying jobs, I would think that's a pretty decent impetus.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You use algebraic concepts every single day.
Any problem involving a variable that you solve for is algebra.

Balancing your checkbook is arithmetic but figuring out how long it will take you to drive somewhere is algebra.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You've just singlehandedly explained the bad mortgage-led financial crisis. Too many people taking out loans they had NO hope of being able to repay.
That was a much greed as anything. Also, a whole bunch of the defaults they were able to repay but chose bankruptcy rather than keep paying on a house they were vastly upside down.

But hey, that's crazy talk....it's all the banks fault....because no one gets elected by telling the people they were at least partially to blame.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Most of what we learn at school, not just math, will be forgotten within maybe a decade after graduation. Except for the most basic formulas and ideas I have forgotten everything I used to know in physics, maths, chemistry, etc. The same goes for history, Latin, and other subjects.

I don't think the purpose of learning all those detailed things is to remember them for live, but to simply enable pupils to know a lot about everything so that they can choose from all kinds of college courses and jobs later on. So, in hindsight, yes, most of the studying at school is probably in vain, but we can't do without it. If I knew at age 10 that I would become a singer or a butcher, I might as well abandon school completely. Although a certain basic education can't hurt in order to be able to socialize without being considered a Neanderthal

Old 12-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most of what we learn at school, not just math, will be forgotten within maybe a decade after graduation. Except for the most basic formulas and ideas I have forgotten everything I used to know in physics, maths, chemistry, etc. The same goes for history, Latin, and other subjects.

I don't think the purpose of learning all those detailed things is to remember them for live, but to simply enable pupils to know a lot about everything so that they can choose from all kinds of college courses and jobs later on. So, in hindsight, yes, most of the studying at school is probably in vain, but we can't do without it. If I knew at age 10 that I would become a singer or a butcher, I might as well abandon school completely. Although a certain basic education can't hurt in order to be able to socialize without being considered a Neanderthal
K-12 is basic.
College is where you specialize.

We've collapsed education into only academic and it's all for college preparedness.
That was our reform. We got rid of the the vocational/academic tracks the last 2-3 years of high school.
So yes..all kids must now take Algebra II or Trig because we changed the rules.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That was a much greed as anything.
I'd have to counter that a LOT of people were deliberately misled by the federal government telling them that they "deserve" to own a home even though they were high-risk borrowers. Just look at Fannie/Freddie/FHA/HUD's arrangement with Countrywide to accept "unconventional credit" to qualify for mortgages prior to 2000:

"Underwriting Standards

Countrywide tends to follow the most flexible underwriting criteria permitted under GSE and FHA guidelines. Because Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac tend to give their best lenders access to the most flexible underwriting criteria, Countrywide benefits from its status as one of the largest originators of mortgage loans and one of the largest participants in the GSE programs.

When necessary—in cases where applicants have no established credit history, for example—Countrywide uses nontraditional credit, a practice accepted by the GSEs."

Case Study: Countrywide Home Loans, Inc.
published by Fannie Mae Foundation, 2000
http://www.truthandcommonsense.org/d...eckleneess.pdf

The government's practice of underwriting highly risky loans, telling people they "deserve" to own a home regardless of their financial situations, and the general population's total lack of mathematical reasoning which would have proven to them they had no hope of repaying their loans ALL contributed to the financial crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies