Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 09:23 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
He has to live with the inadvertent murder of several humans weighing on his conscious for life.

That's the life lesson, no?
I think the essence of his defense was that nothing weighs on his conscience, which is why he shouldn't be liable. So the life lesson was basically "Don't let your conscience trouble you".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No. but a poor white 16 year old wouldn't either. So you have no point as far as race goes.
Exactly. Some people will try to make everything about 'race'.

The outcome of this case reminds me of other ways the courts are financially prejudiced. For instance, the use of bail...if you can afford paying the big $$$ then you get out of jail, otherwise - sorry. Even fines meant to act as a deterrent or penalty to misbehavior are designed to punish those with less money, because if the consequence is, say, a fixed $500 fine plus court costs for a relatively minor infraction, then that is going to hit some people very hard, but will be something that others laugh about. That doesn't sound like a very noble justice system to me.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I was talking about the mentality of the parents who are teaching by example. As far as politicians are concerned, don't you mean one with a conscious?
No...I didn't mean that at all.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
Suing his parents for every dime they have will probably help cure this kid's ailment. This sorta reminds me of the twinkies defense.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
John Goodman retrial: Defense not ready to begin - Sun Sentinel

There are different rules for rich folks...anyone can see that. Look at the John Goodman--- re trial for DUI. He was convicted, and used his extensive resources to nullify a juror, and get a new trial...a do over....how many people could do extensive background checks on the jurors and find some loophole for a new trial?
Dennis DeMartin case update: Attorneys for juror want judge removed from contempt of court case

Old 12-14-2013, 06:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
I'm playing Devils Advocate here...

I think he should be put in jail...but in no way do I think the kid walked out of that courtroom and went to a frat house and did keg stands celebrating his "getting off".
No, he reportedly went to a Malibu "treatment" facility paid for by his loving parents. Think Lohan/Spears.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I think the essence of his defense was that nothing weighs on his conscience, which is why he shouldn't be liable. So the life lesson was basically "Don't let your conscience trouble you".
They killed Jiminy Cricket in that court room, pulled his wings off and crushed his top hat!

Just let your conscience be your guide BAH!

Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
read the thread!

"If this kid was black....X, Y and Z would have happened"
Look dude...back up. I'm not under any obligation to read through the whole damn thread. I know the topic already.

You said black man theory, so I'm asking YOU to explain it since you're the one that came up with it.

If you don't wanna answer, then say that. You're under no obligation to answer me. But don't act as if I can't ask.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,613 times
Racism and Classism aren't mutually exclusive. Both can apply and they both applied here.

The kid got off because he was wealthy and because he was white. If the rich kid had been African American, Latino or god forbid, an Arab/Muslim, and he killed four white people driving drunk as well as paralyzing two others.....in the state of Texas no less.....there's no chance he'd got off with a slap on the wrist

Old 12-14-2013, 05:28 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik_B View Post
Racism and Classism aren't mutually exclusive. Both can apply and they both applied here.

The kid got off because he was wealthy and because he was white. If the rich kid had been African American, Latino or god forbid, an Arab/Muslim, and he killed four white people driving drunk as well as paralyzing two others.....in the state of Texas no less.....there's no chance he'd got off with a slap on the wrist

He would be lucky just to get a life term
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies