Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
Anti-bacterial soaps may not curb bacteria
No they dont......... They kill GOOD STUFF NEEDED on your skin!!!!!

I dont use that crap!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And this one only took them 40 years to change their minds.
The chemical triclosan was shown to affect hormones in rat and could lead to infertility, early puberty and cancer.
The FDA was asked to investigated this in 1972. They arrived at their findings in 1978.
They are now publishing their findings..due to losing a lawsuit that was filed to force them to publish.

Unilever and Dow are not happy about this.

FDA: Anti-bacterial soaps may not curb bacteria
Effectiveness aside there is certainly reasons you may want to use anti bacterial soap like you just got done working on the sewer pipe but not on a daily basis. I strongly believe that is leading to health problems. You're not building up immunity and the bacteria is growing stronger.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,368 times
Okay. You guys have convinced me. I'll work to wean myself off antibacterial stuff. I'll start with the dishwashing liquid. I may never give up the Safeguard, but baby steps, baby steps.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Okay. You guys have convinced me. I'll work to wean myself off antibacterial stuff. I'll start with the dishwashing liquid. I may never give up the Safeguard, but baby steps, baby steps.
Every time you use that stuff triclosan goes into your system.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
This is so typical of these "experts".

They have filled people with mindless fear of every bacteria and virus. People aren't educated enough to understand the importance of normal flora.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
Default FDA Finally Taking Closer Look at 'Antibacterial' Soap

FDA Taking Closer Look at 'Antibacterial' Soap

Why do you care?
Triclosan and antimicrobial resistance in... [Microb Drug Resist. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

widespread use of triclosan may represent a potential public health risk in regard to development of concomitant resistance to clinically important antimicrobials

Resistant Escherichia coli

Escherichia coli is a frequent cause of life-threatening bloodstream infections [1] and other common infections, such as urinary tract infections. Antibiotic resistance rates in E. coli are rapidly rising, especially with regard to fluoroquinolones and third- and fourth-generation cephalosporins,

What remains unclear is where the drug-resistant E. coli in our food are coming from. Are they mainly human strains that contaminate our food (and water), or are these strains mainly derived from food animals

I've got a guess. If you dump enough pesticide in the water, something might grow up to like it.
You did know that anti-bacterial soap's killing ingredient was originally a pesticide, right?

Man, this is weird. I was reading about how the FDA put a warning on laxatives killing 13 people, and saw the soap thing.

Salon beat me to it by 4 days. Their article on it is pretty interesting, at least it was to me.
5 reasons to stop using antibacterial soap - Salon.com

Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times
People are losing their ability to fight off infections with their own immune systems. When the body is not exposed to germs, because people are religiously washing their hands with antibacterial products, the immune system is not building an arsenal of antibodies. It's akin to a weight lifter who does not lift weights. How is he supposed to build muscle mass? How is the immune system supposed to build strength when it doesn't have anything to fight?

Aside from that, if you put antibiotics in every form of soup, it kills all the bacteria... Except for a few cells that develop a resistance. Those bacteria spread and multiply, and their offspring exhibit the same resistance patterns and traits. At the rate things are going, we'll have to invent an entirely new generation of antibiotics every time a new generation of antibiotic resistant bacteria becomes prevalent. If we're putting those antibiotic products everywhere, this cycle will only accelerate. Never ending cycle...

And people aren't helping when they take antibiotics for mild colds. There is a case to be made regarding the overuse of these antibiotics. Sometimes, you have to allow the infection to run it's course, relying on the body to work it's magic. I know a cold is an inconvenience, but only in rare cases does it become life threatening.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:42 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,290 times
Wait, this sounds like evolution...the change in organisms over time...I thought it didn't exist according to creationists...

Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
A lot of that E Coli got genetically modified from the corn eaten by the pigs, and the chickens, and the humans that ate the corn, or the pigs, or the chickens, or the humans.

It was all done with plenty of pesticide and herbicide sauces.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
People are losing their ability to fight off infections with their own immune systems. When the body is not exposed to germs, because people are religiously washing their hands with antibacterial products, the immune system is not building an arsenal of antibodies. It's akin to a weight lifter who does not lift weights. How is he supposed to build muscle mass? How is the immune system supposed to build strength when it doesn't have anything to fight?

Aside from that, if you put antibiotics in every form of soup, it kills all the bacteria... Except for a few cells that develop a resistance. Those bacteria spread and multiply, and their offspring exhibit the same resistance patterns and traits. At the rate things are going, we'll have to invent an entirely new generation of antibiotics every time a new generation of antibiotic resistant bacteria becomes prevalent. If we're putting those antibiotic products everywhere, this cycle will only accelerate. Never ending cycle...

And people aren't helping when they take antibiotics for mild colds. There is a case to be made regarding the overuse of these antibiotics. Sometimes, you have to allow the infection to run it's course, relying on the body to work it's magic. I know a cold is an inconvenience, but only in rare cases does it become life threatening.
I read somewhere that kids who pick their noses are healthier because they're getting a dose of the germs around them. Gross but it appears to be effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies