Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,364,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think he made it worse by blaming the whole thing on his staff.
Gov. Christie took full responsibility, fired people, and did not blame the Democrats. Other politicians should take notice.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,045,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Yeah, and its ironic people are making comparisons to Obama. Haven't they accused him of throwing people under the bus before? I thought the GOP was for personal responsibility
You aren't watching the news conference are you? He's taken full responsibility for what took place in his administration and he's already terminated 1 person who was responsible and he's removed his campaign manager from his position.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You aren't watching the news conference are you? He's taken full responsibility for what took place in his administration and he's already terminated 1 person who was responsible and he's removed his campaign manager from his position.
Maybe the left were hoping for denials and investigations like what their party does.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,670,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Why would we be inclined to believe you ever?
Why would I gave a damn what "you" would be inclined to believe?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,645,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Gov. Christie took full responsibility, fired people, and did not blame the Democrats. Other politicians should take notice.
No criminal charges? That would be responsible. Just firing them is a slap on the hand. They messed with people's lives. I want to see them behind bars. I think what they did borders on terrorism. There should be a full investigation and arrests made.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,881,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
When Christie first came onto my radar I was favorably impressed. As time passed I became somewhat disappointed in his behavior. Today I have watched his news conference and he is handleing himself rather well, I think.
Well, if you call claiming he knew nothing and then firing his top aid handling himself well...

But come on, now, does anyone really believe that his aids orchestrated this little power play completely on their own, in defiance of their boss? And if they did (which would be an indication of terrible leadership) was he blind, deaf and dumb for those four days when the traffic was at a near stop and everyone was complaining about it? Wouldn't that have been the time that the completely innocent governor might make a few inquiries to find out what was going on? And yet, there is no indication that he did anything of the sort.

Anyone who buys this, I have a New York bridge to sell you...

Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,787,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think he made it worse by blaming the whole thing on his staff.
Were you listening to him on the TV? He took responsibility, apologized, and is taking action. He is being an open book on this matter and as things develop he said he would inform the press. He is taking every question thrown at him from the press. He's not cutting them off after answering 2 or 3 questions telling them "I've got to run now."

There are emails from the people involved. He is going to dig into this and find out who else was involved. One of those that were involved are no longer on his staff. If there is proof that SOME of his staff was involved, why wouldn't he put the blame where it belongs? He fired his aide that initiated the bridge problem and he's investigating and interviewing his staff members. Unlike someone in the WH who never takes responsibility, never admitted to a wrong-doing by anyone on his staff, and the only action taken towards those responsible for "keeping secrets" or screwing up got promotions.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,881,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Were you listening to him on the TV? He took responsibility, apologized, and is taking action. He is being an open book on this matter and as things develop he said he would inform the press. He is taking every question thrown at him from the press. He's not cutting them off after answering 2 or 3 questions telling them "I've got to run now."

There are emails from the people involved. He is going to dig into this and find out who else was involved. One of those that were involved are no longer on his staff. If there is proof that SOME of his staff was involved, why wouldn't he put the blame where it belongs? He fired his aide that initiated the bridge problem and he's investigating and interviewing his staff members. Unlike someone in the WH who never takes responsibility, never admitted to a wrong-doing by anyone on his staff, and the only action taken towards those responsible for "keeping secrets" or screwing up got promotions.
I know a person who works in a state transportation department and she said there is no way the "traffic study" excuse is plausible. When they are planning any kind of work that will disrupt traffic, especially on a heavily traveled roadway, they plan it for months in advance. They post signs, notify the media, work out detours and alternate routes and post them weeks ahead of time, put up electronic signs that carry up-to-the date information, hold press conferences and put out press releases and generally do everything they can to make sure the public is aware of it well in advance.

None of that was done here. The lanes were simply closed one day without warning. And yet, Christie never once, in those four days, questioned any of it. So either he is too stupid to be a governor or he is a bald-faced liar. Which one seems more likely?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,902,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Well, if you call claiming he knew nothing and then firing his top aid handling himself well...

But come on, now, does anyone really believe that his aids orchestrated this little power play completely on their own, in defiance of their boss? And if they did (which would be an indication of terrible leadership) was he blind, deaf and dumb for those four days when the traffic was at a near stop and everyone was complaining about it? Wouldn't that have been the time that the completely innocent governor might make a few inquiries to find out what was going on? And yet, there is no indication that he did anything of the sort.

Anyone who buys this, I have a New York bridge to sell you...
I do think it's possible that a senior aide orchestrated this. Not in defiance of her boss, but thinking that it was an act of loyalty to her boss, albeit one she had to keep on the down-low. The e-mails do not indicate that Christie knew anything about it, and while the explanation of a "traffic study" is a poor one, back when it happened Christie did seem to be wondering why one town had three traffic lanes devoted to it, so it's conceivable that he thought a traffic study was warranted.

That said, whether he knew about it or not is not the issue. It's whether it can be proved that he knew about it, and unless the actors in this little drama point fingers (which they are unlikely to do, since two officials have resigned, and the aide has been fired), that's not going to happen.

Politically, this is a bump in the road for Christie. It's not a detour.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,791,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No criminal charges? That would be responsible. Just firing them is a slap on the hand. They messed with people's lives. I want to see them behind bars. I think what they did borders on terrorism. There should be a full investigation and arrests made.
It's so much fun to watch the liberals in the thread, screaming in outrage over one of Christie's aides playing politics with the traffic flow pattern in one of his towns...

...after not letting out a peep when someone's deliberate reductions in the guard force at the Benghazi compound, even while terrorist attacks and bombings there were increasing all summer, resulted in four Americans being KILLED and the facility mostly burned to the ground, all while the top guy was insisting that the terrorists were disorganized and on the run.

How many people have been thrown behind bars for that, as you are now demanding for the person who caused a few traffic jams? Where were your calls for "a full investigation" into the deaths of an AMBASSADOR and three others, as you are insisting on here?

Isn't it amazing what outrages the left, and what doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies