Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
All that protesting about your own inability to support yourself doesn't seem to have gotten you off Square One.

How about applying all that energy to.............WORKING! And learning how to live WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

Bingo!

(Start by dropping your costly internet connection.)

I have never physically protested anything in my life, ever. Instead, I apply myself to meet my needs instead of whining and bellyaching. Works for me!
Well said. People complain that they don't have enough, but can afford the internet, a cell phone and chances are an Xbox.
They have time to post complaints but no time to apply for other jobs, build skills or find something they can do to increase their income. They complain it is too expensive where they live. Well move. I did.

I don't find it amusing when anyone gets fired. I do find it ironic that they cost themselves their own jobs and are now complaining about it. How much did they cost that shop owner with their protests?
What is the industry standard? I don't know the article didn't say. This is a story of a bunch of people attempting to hold the owner hostage. Like our Gov he didn't negotiate with hostage takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well said. People complain that they don't have enough, but can afford the internet, a cell phone and chances are an Xbox.
Harrier can barely afford the first two, but not an XBox.

Liberals are so "privileged".

Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,534 times
I see a recurring theme in here, people like Harrier and tinman, who life experience parallels my own. Work hard, stop complaining and advance yourself.
My first job I brought home $60 a week. I went to night school, worked two jobs seven days a week, and sacrificed. Didn't get married until I was 30, and have no idea what a vacation is. When I got my annual vacation,I worked another job. I bought a home at 23 years of age and single. I ate P&J three meals a day and hitch hiked to work. I never did get much above $50K a year, but I retired a multimillionaire, with numerous properties, and far more yearly income than I can spend. and never need to worry about money again. (unless obama is successful with his evil plans).
The name of the game is hard work and sacrifice. Too many people today aren't willing to do that, they want it all handed to them, that's why the democrat party was invented, for lazy freeloaders..

Old 12-25-2013, 11:47 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
They exercised their right to protest and the employer exercised his right to terminate for not showing up to work. I would have done the same thing. I would rather start over than be held hostage by anyone.
And the training period starting over to make a sandwich is hardly record-breaking. My hunch is they were duped by union folks into losing their jobs via luny antics like this.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 AM

237 posts, read 191,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Agreed, you are allowed to protest, and your employer is allowed to replace you.
Same as A & E with duck dynasty.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do you hate free markets?

The employees were free to not work and the employer was free to fire them because they would not work.

The employment came about similarly - the employees were free to seek employment and the employer was free to hire them.
We don't live in a free market. We live in a mixed market economy...in please go to college and learn something about actual business and the economy.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You took me back to the days of my youth.

I remember when I and my roommate picked up pop bottles and cashed them in just to have money for food.

I had more fun in those days than I've had in the rest of my life, combined. We had NOTHING but our piddly little jobs, but we made it. And learned from it.
Yep the old "those were the days" meme. Many of us have gone through it and instead of crying and whining about how nothing is fair we figured out how to move on up. Liberals expect to be compensated for living on ramens. They have brain damage beyond repair. I've yet to see one liberal take one of these poor homeless folks into their own homes and care for them but they seem to love the idea of using others money to pay for them. Typical liberals.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I have been on my own since 1976, I used to make it on 2.30 an hour. So yea, I know all about low wages. I remember making a box of rice and some bouillon last almost a week.

I also learned, if you can't make it where you are, go someplace you can afford. I was lucky, I lived at the "Y" for 18 months, before I made good enough friends with 2 other people, and we got an apt together. $195 a month, I remember it very well. I also remember paying 10$ and getting a 1 month pass for the bus, (ok, it's prob more than that now). Riding the bus means no car required, no insurance, no gas, and no repairs.

I also understand your paying your employees well, and if your making 120K plus after bills pay, etc, but what if the sandwich show is making much less. MAYBE, they had to take out a loan to remodel, so they could try to make more money, and in the middle of that, ALL of his employees decide to take a 4 day "Período de descanso" to protest the low pay?

Believe it or not, there are MANY places making it, just barely, and a $3 an hour pay increase, would put them under.

I also understand that not ALL employers are honest, and some try to take advantage of workers. There are ALSO employers just barely making it, and also employers that start people out at minimum wage, and then provide raises, as they stay on the job. People have been making a lot of assumptions about this sandwich shop. MY assumption is this, ALL of his workers walked off the job for 4 days. Personally, I would have replaced them right then and there. If you have a beef, let's sit down and talk, but this is an AT WILL employment, if you don't work as scheduled, I feel as if you have quit.

The bottom line is, there is ALWAYS a way. I refuse to meet life with a negative attitude, if I did, I would be in really bad shape. In 2004 I was laid off, almost 6 figure salary, as a single dad with 2 kids, disabled middle aged vet. I worked 2, 3, and sometimes 4 part time jobs a week, to make ends meet, and not a once did I get welfare, medicaid, section 8, or any other handout. I made the bills, took care of my children's monthly doctor visits and medication. Tired? yup. 18 months later, I was back to full time employment. No longer making what I was making previously, but it was a job, and I knew I would prove myself capable, and a desirable employee. I have done that and more, and I enjoy my job. ANYONE can quit, ANYONE can say it can't be done.
You do know that 2.30 an hour is 9.51 in today's money. You were making more then the kids make today.. Its a fact wages haven't kept up with inflation and here lie the problem...

Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
BZZT! I live on a poverty-level income and I can't get a Pell Grant.
To be honest with you I think your full of it. How a guy living in poverty who can never find a place to live always manages to get on the internet is beyond me. IMO you are making up your entire "poverty" story and probably live in some mansion yet you also probably never donate money to anyone you claim to represent. Typical liberal.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yep the old "those were the days" meme. Many of us have gone through it and instead of crying and whining about how nothing is fair we figured out how to move on up. Liberals expect to be compensated for living on ramens. They have brain damage beyond repair. I've yet to see one liberal take one of these poor homeless folks into their own homes and care for them but they seem to love the idea of using others money to pay for them. Typical liberals.
See there you go with politics again. I'm not a liberal and I'm certainly not a conservative. I care for people. Look up minimum wage and inflation and see has it kept up... No it hasn't.

And I say if all poor peoples education is based on scholarships, they may as well play the lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies