Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
A pharmacist cannot 'prescribe' a prescription to someone....anyone.
That. ^

The pharmacist could lose his license for doing so. I can imagine the difficulty of the situation the pharmacist faced, but he had both professional and legal obligations to do exactly what was done.

The girl is old enough to carry her own EpiPen. And it's a very good idea for the mother or other family members to carry a backup. This is on the girl and her family.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why is that the automatic assumption?

I would also assume that both the 14 year old teenager and her mother would never leave the home without an epi pen each. I would assume that a 14 year old is bright enough to not eat food labeled with a known allergen. I would assume the mother would bring the food allergy to the restaurant's attention before they began eating. I would also assume that the second the allergy was apparent, the mother would call the Irish version of 911. None of those things happened, which is astounding to me.

I have cousins and friends' children with peanut allergies. I get the procedural run down every time I babysit, take them out for ice cream, or even just down the street to the park. If an allergen is accidentally ingested, use the epi AND call 911 because the epi will only put the reaction on hold. It is a medical emergency even with the epi. Give the epi the second the allergen is ingested because the longer you wait, the less of a chance of survival. By 5, they're carrying their own epi when not at school, but I'm always given an extra just in case. My 5 year old cousin knows to tell the waiter or whoever is giving her food that she has a food allergy before I say a word. This is basic procedure.

Lots of people know the word "epipen." I've heard people say they need one when their tongue gets scratchy due to a mild allergy. Nope. The pharmacist could have had no idea what was happening.
Someone walks in and asks for an epipen, and has no prescription.

What could that MEAN?

What kind of person would DO that?

The person didn't know you needed a prescription for it? Pretty dumb person, eh?

Everyone knows you need a prescription for an epipen!

EVERYONE!

I can see where the pharmacist would be at a total loss, and have to resort to his training to handle that kind of situation!

If you're ever in a situation where you don't know what to do, do what you've been trained to do.

After all, you're ONLY a ZOMBIE!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM

Big Pharma created the peanut allergy.

The least they could do is . . . .

Hey!

You play by our rules, chump!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:31 AM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
This reminds me of a lawsuit in Chicago back in the late 90's where a guy got shot and his "buddies" left him outside the hospital. (I seem to recall it was gang related). The staff couldn't "legally" go outside and bring him in and he died.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Big Pharma created the peanut allergy.

The least they could do is . . . .

Hey!

You play by our rules, chump!
You want your high pharmacist salary?

Then, be willing to kill for it.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The girl died, didn't she?
She was just a CUSTOMER, not a patient!

Pharmacists don't have patience!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:

The law presumes stupidity of patients, and therefore a legal and moral dependence on professionals.

However, patients are not allowed a level of stupidity insufficient to obey the rules.

The "customer" is presumed by law to have equal knowledge of the rules that pharmacists spend five years memorizing.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 11-18-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:

Lol...indeed. Many do not. They can be quite....terse. At any rate, in this case , IMHO, the lifesaving med was wrongly withheld. All opinions about the girl and her mother's lack of preparedness aside, $h1t happens, and the girl needed help. I can't look at this from a standpoint of obeying the rules. Screw the rules.

Bit late to second guess it though....

Old 11-18-2014, 10:02 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Don't they have 911 (or equivalent) in Ireland? If she had time to go to the pharmacy, wouldn't it have been faster to call emergency personnel, who could have administered it? It would be illegal for the pharmacist to give them medication without a prescription.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol...indeed. Many do not. They can be quite....terse. At any rate, in this case , IMHO, the lifesaving med was wrongly withheld. All opinions about the girl and her mother's lack of preparedness aside, $h1t happens, and the girl needed help. I can't look at this from a standpoint of obeying the rules. Screw the rules.

Bit late to second guess it though....
There is a reason that a doctor's office cannot be located within 500 feet of a pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies