Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Fair enough

In response to your other post, not all gun owners are trained properly. Hence the reason why my safety is concerned when too many citizens are armed.
This is called collateral damage.
Most citizens know how to hit what they are shooting at than most cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Whenever the question of whether guns being legal comes up, I have two arguments I use to support them being legal. One is the constitutional argument, the other is what I call the prohibition argument.

The constitutional argument has been done to death. All I'll say is that the SCOTUS has now confirmed that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that this right is binding on all levels of government. So at this point, and law that might want to regulate the possession of arms be individuals has to pass the test of whether or not it has the effect of violating this right.

The prohibition argument is based on the fact that in the history of this country, any attempt by the government to prohibit the sale or possession of any commodity that is widely available and.or easily made, either inside or out of the country, has failed miserablly. As pointed out by others, criminals feel no need to abide by the law. I always point out the drug cartels in this regard. These are international criminal organization that have developed a high level of skill in smuggling and distributing illegal goods. Does anyone think that if guns were not legally available in this country, they wouldn't be able to find other sources outside the country, and add them as another profit center for their business?

There are other arguments for why private ownership of most forms of firearms by civilians should be legal. But these are the two most straightforward.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:42 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the one thing that I do not like. dems and other gun control fanatics say that current firearms laws are not working and that the USA needs sensible firearms laws. if that is true and they truly believe that, then why not repeal all those firearms laws and legislative acts that are just not working before we even talk about any further firearms laws?
In general, liberals do not truly believe anything. They believe only what current political correctness tells them to believe. For example, the current big liberal cause of gay marriage. The ban on gay marriage that the liberals are bashing conservatives as out of control extremist homophobes over was voted for by Harry Reid and signed into law by Bill Clinton. Rational people cannot trust that what a liberal says is sensible today will be considered sensible tomorrow.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
will you say that to a woman who is carrying a firearm and being followed by a 6'2" 280# man?
how about saying that to a 60 year old man who is carrying concealed and who is being followed by a group of teens intent on ill?
How often does this even happen. I choose to not live in fear. But I have hurt a man where it hurts when he was following me lol I left him in pain.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Most citizens know how to hit what they are shooting at than most cops.
Actually, both cops and citizens overall are bad shots. The best shots are a small group of citizens and within this small group you have a decent percentage of former military.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I think the firearms debate is simple. You ban or restrict guns. Bad guys will have guns. You allow the sale of guns. Bad guys will have guns.

What's the difference? When you allow the sale of guns a lot of good guys will have guns too! Might make a bad guy think twice!
Everybody is a good guy with a gun...until they aren't.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 AM

372 posts, read 450,565 times
I will repeat what the above just said. Everyone is a law abiding citizen until well...they aren't or they snap or go crazy. If a fight breaks out the first thing someone will do is reach for their gun instead of using their fist. Or if a brawl happens in a bar and everyone is armed then you have a big shoot out. There is a reason guns aren't allowed in public places like movie theaters. It will only make a bad situation worse. And another thing. Accidents happen because of irresponsible gun owners who pretend to be responsible to get whatever license they need to have one. People will act as vigilantes taking up their own justice. The people who call for this kind of mess don't know what they are asking for. You want protection then increase the amount of cops in a place like a movie theater or skating rink. More law enforcement. Even in light of whats going on today regarding policeman I do believe most are looking out for every day citizens like us. If we are gonna arm every citizen then we might as well get rid of the police because then everyone will want to act like one. Then we will witness the collapse of law and order.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:18 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Everybody is a good guy with a gun...until they aren't.
Everyone's post have a point... Until they don't.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I will repeat what the above just said. Everyone is a law abiding citizen until well...they aren't
That's how all people should be treated.

Quote:
If a fight breaks out the first thing someone will do is reach for their gun instead of using their fist.
I don't fight. I've made it 45 years without being in a fist fight and I'd like to keep that streak going. If I am in an incident that I can't deescalate or leave from and it turns to violence or threat of violence, then I will respond and end it immediately.

Quote:
And another thing. Accidents happen because of irresponsible gun owners who pretend to be responsible to get whatever license they need to have one.
Please explain this one.

Quote:
People will act as vigilantes taking up their own justice.
Vigilante justice isn't legal. It's a criminal act and should be treated as such.

Quote:
The people who call for this kind of mess don't know what they are asking for.
I'm calling for people to be nice. I've gone all of my life without instigating any confrontation and ignoring the people trying to instigate with me. Only in the rare instance when someone's life is in danger should violence be a solution and when it is needed, it should be swift and focused on the threat.

Quote:
You want protection then increase the amount of cops in a place like a movie theater or skating rink. More law enforcement. Even in light of whats going on today regarding policeman I do believe most are looking out for every day citizens like us. If we are gonna arm every citizen then we might as well get rid of the police because then everyone will want to act like one. Then we will witness the collapse of law and order.
Until I have assigned to me 24x7x365 I will be responsible for my own safety and use the best tools I have at my disposal.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Quote:
I will repeat what the above just said. Everyone is a law abiding citizen until well...they aren't or they snap or go crazy. If a fight breaks out the first thing someone will do is reach for their gun instead of using their fist. Or if a brawl happens in a bar and everyone is armed then you have a big shoot out. There is a reason guns aren't allowed in public places like movie theaters. It will only make a bad situation worse. And another thing. Accidents happen because of irresponsible gun owners who pretend to be responsible to get whatever license they need to have one. People will act as vigilantes taking up their own justice. The people who call for this kind of mess don't know what they are asking for. You want protection then increase the amount of cops in a place like a movie theater or skating rink. More law enforcement. Even in light of whats going on today regarding policeman I do believe most are looking out for every day citizens like us. If we are gonna arm every citizen then we might as well get rid of the police because then everyone will want to act like one. Then we will witness the collapse of law and order.
Lot's of fail in this one. I don't need to go through it, though, as Robert_J already did a nice job.

I will say that, like Robert, I'm in my mid 40s and have never been in a fight. And I usually carry a firearm...isn't that amazing?! I've carried almost everyday (always legally) for several years. I've never been in a fight, I don't act like a vigilante, and I even go to the movies!

Nothing against the police, they usually do a good job, and are often only minutes away. But those minutes very well might be too long to help you...and that's IF you can even GET to a phone in a life or death situation.

Last edited by Bruins_Fan; 08-18-2014 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies