Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times

Advertisements

I think the firearms debate is simple. You ban or restrict guns. Bad guys will have guns. You allow the sale of guns. Bad guys will have guns.

What's the difference? When you allow the sale of guns a lot of good guys will have guns too! Might make a bad guy think twice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 12:07 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I think the firearms debate is simple. You ban or restrict guns. Bad guys will have guns. You allow the sale of guns. Bad guys will have guns.

What's the difference? When you allow the sale of guns a lot of good guys will have guns too! Might make a bad guy think twice!

Let's break it down to...the right to bear arms is an inalienable right and enumerated such in the US Constitution.

Article II (second amendment) to the US Constitution

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to bear Arms, shall not be infringed.A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It should initially be read after editing out that within commas. 'A well regulated Militia shall not be infringed.'

That within commas should read as...'The right of the people to bear Arms being necessary to the security of a free State.'

It could be reworded as...
''The right of the people to bear Arms, being necessary to the security of a free State, shall not be infringed.''
'Militia' isn't really necessary when worded as such. A Militia follows no commands from any deemed an unconstitutional enemy, friend or foe.
When dissected such it reveals the true intent.
It was masterfully written as the latter passage intertwines within the former making it near impossible to repeal anytime within the next few centuries. If the USA remains the USA.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:47 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
People talk the talk about owning a gun, and I own guns, but even still, to actually use one is a big decision and can carry a lot of legal risks both criminal and civil. Very important to know the laws in your state.

I see nothing wrong with firearms just like I see nothing wrong with people having the right to use drugs and think they should all be decriminalized. When law abiding citizens own firearms, more crime will be prevented and more criminals stopped than the occasional story you hear blown up where a kid gets a hold of a gun because of an irresponsible parent, or some loon loner goes and shoots up a theater.

News flash.. if more people in that movie theater were packing heat, the shooter would have been taken out quickly. Criminals will still get the guns... because of mexico and canada.. it's not like Australia where the nation is landlocked and it's easier to control the supply... especially because of Mexico, criminals will always have guns.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 AM

458 posts, read 645,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post

In that case, all drugs should be legal.
Right?
You just said so!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
News flash.. if more people in that movie theater were packing heat, the shooter would have been taken out quickly.
I'm sorry, but I would NEVER ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever go to the movies If I knew people in attendance were packing guns.

It's a recipe for disaster.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
I'm sorry, but I would NEVER ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever go to the movies If I knew people in attendance were packing guns.

It's a recipe for disaster.
The only disaster is you're illogical imagination. The only thing that would happen is your life being saved from a bad guy or otherwise, nothing at all. The movie would be played as it normally would have been.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
In that case, all drugs should be legal.
Right?
You just said so!
I think drugs, prostitution, gay marriage, and polygamy should all be legal. It's my body and as long as I'm not harming anyone else, it should not be the government's business when it comes to what I or other consenting adults choose to do with it.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I think drugs, prostitution, gay marriage, and polygamy should all be legal. It's my body and as long as I'm not harming anyone else, it should not be the government's business when it comes to what I or other consenting adults choose to do with it.
Fair enough

In response to your other post, not all gun owners are trained properly. Hence the reason why my safety is concerned when too many citizens are armed.
This is called collateral damage.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Let's break it down to...the right to bear arms is an inalienable right and enumerated such in the US Constitution.

Article II (second amendment) to the US Constitution

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to bear Arms, shall not be infringed.A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It should initially be read after editing out that within commas. 'A well regulated Militia shall not be infringed.'

That within commas should read as...'The right of the people to bear Arms being necessary to the security of a free State.'

It could be reworded as...
''The right of the people to bear Arms, being necessary to the security of a free State, shall not be infringed.''
'Militia' isn't really necessary when worded as such. A Militia follows no commands from any deemed an unconstitutional enemy, friend or foe.
When dissected such it reveals the true intent.
It was masterfully written as the latter passage intertwines within the former making it near impossible to repeal anytime within the next few centuries. If the USA remains the USA.
You think Obama cared about what is in the constitution?

Old 01-06-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Fair enough

In response to your other post, not all gun owners are trained properly. Hence the reason why my safety is concerned when too many citizens are armed.
This is called collateral damage.
Never thought of that. I have heard that conceal carry licences are being issued at an all time high, and firearm sales are at an all time high as well. With all these new firearms being sold and carried concealed, can you link me to a post where what you're suggesting would happen has happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies