Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 02:56 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think he meant that most adults can consume one or two 12-oz beers over maybe two hours and still be able to legally drive.
Have you had any of the new micro-brews??? If you have you wouldn't be making that claim

The new micro-brews are not the **** water that some like to drink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
I think he meant that most adults can consume one or two 12-oz beers over maybe two hours and still be able to legally drive.
It's proven through multiple studies that marijuana does not impair your motor functions the same way that alcohol does. You would have to consume a considerable about of marijuana for it to impair you to a level equivalent of the current .08 BAC legal limit.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Have you had any of the new micro-brews??? If you have you wouldn't be making that claim

Exactly.

A good double ipa, and driving may not be such a good idea. 8% alcohol by volume can get you. Even some as high as 10%.

The truth is, you shouldn't drive when drinking beer, or smoking pot. But to continue to support prohibition over a small percentage of the populations bad habit is illogical and proves ignorance on the subject.

Try explaining being drunk to someone who has never drank. Same holds true with being stoned and those who have never smoked. Both impair your judgement, both slow down your reaction time, but using either on a Friday night when you're staying home, in moderation, isn't hurting anyone

Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
He didn't say alcohol was harmless he said pot no worse didn't say it was good for u

Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Exactly.

A good double ipa, and driving may not be such a good idea. 8% alcohol by volume can get you. Even some as high as 10%.

The truth is, you shouldn't drive when drinking beer, or smoking pot. But to continue to support prohibition over a small percentage of the populations bad habit is illogical and proves ignorance on the subject.

Try explaining being drunk to someone who has never drank. Same holds true with being stoned and those who have never smoked. Both impair your judgement, both slow down your reaction time, but using either on a Friday night when you're staying home, in moderation, isn't hurting anyone
I'm big on the "public safety" threat of marijuana on the road. Simply because some laws are being abused to target marijuana users when they are not a threat to drive.

It is proven that marijuana does not impair people the same way that alcohol does. Statistically speaking, states where marijuana has been legalized medicinally have seen on average a 9% decrease in traffic fatalities. It is also proven that marijuana users are safer drivers than non marijuana users.

Those are statistics.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

I don't even know what micro-brews are. (I am a non-drinker and non-smoker.)

But, as I said, most adults can consume one or two 12-oz cans of beer (which is very common) and can still safely and legally drive home.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It's proven through multiple studies that marijuana does not impair your motor functions the same way that alcohol does. You would have to consume a considerable about of marijuana for it to impair you to a level equivalent of the current .08 BAC legal limit.
I find that very hard to believe.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I find that very hard to believe.
The drivers were all 4-5x the legal limit in Colorado for marijuana and were still "acceptable" drivers according to the instructor.

Heavy users could be charged with "Driving Under the Influence" even though they hadn't smoked in quite a while due to higher than normal levels of THC in the blood.

CNN Tests the Driving Skills of Marijuana Users [VIDEO] | HEAVY

Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows

Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
(I am a non-drinker and non-smoker.)

But, as I said, most adults can consume one or two 12-oz cans of beer (which is very common) and can still safely and legally drive home.
So you have no personal experience and rely on one sided studies for your knowledge.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
So you have no personal experience and rely on one sided studies for your knowledge.
That's the way most the "experts" come up with their analysis

I had a lengthy argument with a friend recently about government. He thought that all of our laws were based on reason and statistical evidence. I really couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies