Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Right.. no one lost jobs due to self checkouts..

The guy operates 229 stores, if each store had 40-50 cashiers, (they are open 24/7), thats 10K jobs lost..

Clearly checking out a customer holds value, or they wouldnt have any sales.

When they can replace them with a machine because the labor costs get too dam high, then people will..

Increase labor costs more, and you'll see even less cashiers.. You guys arent very bright.
I have never been in a store with 100% self check out lines... FAIL on your part.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And people used them. I remember when they first went in. No one went to them. Then eventually people with a couple items when the lines were long started going to them. Then eventually others started to go because it felt quicker, and now they are common in all grocery stores.
The cost of the machines run upwards of $100K each.

The ROI on them is received far faster the higher the wages are..

I thought you were going to start a business and pay all of your employees a starting age of $25 per hour?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:
Right.. no one lost jobs due to self checkouts..

The guy operates 229 stores, if each store had 40-50 cashiers, (they are open 24/7), thats 10K jobs lost..

Clearly checking out a customer holds value, or they wouldnt have any sales.

When they can replace them with a machine because the labor costs get too dam high, then people will..

Increase labor costs more, and you'll see even less cashiers.. You guys arent very bright.

NO, sir, it's you who isn't very bright.
You're not accounting for something very important in any business.. customer service. You can't get that from a machine..

again.. maybe you should try sleeping next to a robot and see if that compares to human interaction

I suppose you'll be okay with a society similar to the old days..where you had paupers and Lords.. the Lords being hte executives and the paupers being everyone else.. because that's where we are headed.. and you are ah okay with that.. for you fear being replaced by a computer.. or hell you condone it - god forbid people actually make a wage that allows for the dignity of self reliance your kind preach about..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I have never been in a store with 100% self check out lines... FAIL on your part.
Who said they have 100% checkout lines?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:

Nor will you see that.

And even where there are self check outs.. there is a person there to help each customer at the check out.. and just about EVERY Time there is some assistance needed by an actual human being ..

He doesn't get it..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
You're not accounting for something very important in any business.. customer service. You can't get that from a machine..

again.. maybe you should try sleeping next to a robot and see if that compares to human interaction

I suppose you'll be okay with a society similar to the old days..where you had paupers and Lords.. the Lords being hte executives and the paupers being everyone else.. because that's where we are headed.. and you are ah okay with that.. for you fear being replaced by a computer.. or hell you condone it - god forbid people actually make a wage that allows for the dignity of self reliance your kind preach about..
I'm sorry you need customer service to purchase a loaf of bread, and I've managed to do it all by myself.

Dont be jelous.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one moaning about a lack of customer service from a machine, and then in the very next posting, argue that customer service has actually increased..
Quote:
And even where there are self check outs.. there is a person there to help each customer at the check out.. and just about EVERY Time there is some assistance needed by an actual human being ..
Thats weird..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
The order was already pending a wage increase..

When wages went up, the poplarity increased because the value of them became worth more.

Let me guess, you've never owned a business?
You are doing a great job revising your story as it unfolds. 40 to 50 cashiers ALL replaced by self checkout lines.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
All that shows is that they are heartless bastards.. who care less about the people and more about money. So, because of this callousness our options are : have people work for us at a wage that doesn't allow them to support themselves or replace them with computers.

Maybe we all need to be more careful consumers and start choosing companies that care about people over profits.. The days of a company caring about its employees are long gone.. taken over by the green eyed monster.

The issue here is not raising the minimum wage.. the issue is raising the morality of the swine that would make such callous decisions.
And how do you propose to legislate morality?

.... Something I thought the Left was against?

Oh, I get it..... As long as it's YOUR morality it's ok

Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
You are doing a great job revising your story as it unfolds. 40 to 50 cashiers ALL replaced by self checkout lines.
I never said ALL..

You are doing a fantastic job of just making things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies