Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I've never seen one with a conveyor belt.. just the pad..
I supopse the places I shop actually have a heart and value people rather than machines..
how does self checksout with a pad = having a heart?
Quote:
And I won't shop in ANY store that puts in a conveyor belt self check out system for just that reason...
yeah, we all said the same about self checkouts as well
Quote:
thanks for making me aware that this atrocity exists..
They've been around for a very long time..
Quote:
And shame on you for supporting putting people out of work! How mighty nice of you.
Werent you just telling me I was lying about putting people out of work?

The customer isnt the one responsible for putting people out of work, HIGHER LABOR costs are..

And your solution, increases wages again..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
but as soon as someone whispered "wage increase" they got on the line and ordered a million of them?

Yeah right... the reason self check out became popular is because they were built.
They were built because they cost less than hiring someone.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They have 1 person per every 5-6 lines to "oversee" assistance..

This is one of the dumbest discussions I've had in my life. I feel brain cells dying with every stupid post I read.

So now its the argument that stores added self checkout counters, which didnt lower the cost of labor...

Then why did they add them?
They added them for the same reason they figured out they could squeeze more work out of a smaller workforce when we had the recession in 2008.

It's all about profits.. however, you are suggesting they were added as soon as a wage increase was mentioned. These self check out lines are like ATM's. They were coming regardless of wage increases.

You keep trying to link one to the other and that isn't the case.

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
No, minimum wage issue is about raising the wage so more taxes are paid to the federal government to pay for all of the increased welfare and governmental spending.

Simply raising someones wages, doesnt mean they are better off if the cost of everything increases, which it will, because it always does.

??? convenience store payroll: 500k, taxed at marginal rates of 10-15 pct

owner profit = 3M (taxed at top rate)

simply raising minimum wage:

convenience store payroll: 600k (taxed at 10-15 maybe 28 pct

owner profit = 2.85M (figure increased employer payroll taxes, taxed at top rate)

how does that increase taxes paid to the federal government???

Quote:
They added self check out for faster turnover.
That makes no sense..

Someone who checks out 2-3 times a week isnt faster than a cashier who does hundreds of transactions a day..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? convenience store payroll: 500k, taxed at marginal rates of 10-15 pct

owner profit = 3M (taxed at top rate)

simply raising minimum wage:

convenience store payroll: 600k (taxed at 10-15 maybe 28 pct

owner profit = 2.85M (figure increased employer payroll taxes (taxed at top rate)

how does that increase taxes paid to the federal government???
Payroll taxes, social security taxes etc..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
...for the same reason some stores added lanes where the customers bag their own groceries, because they just could not afford to pay teens to bag your groceries anymore
Oh please... they could afford to do it. I use Harris Teeter and that place is packed with baggers, cashiers and 4 to 6 small self check out lines with a 20 item limit.

They pay well, the employees give great customer service and still walk you out to your car if you want it.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
They were built because they cost less than hiring someone.
I will never understand how people dont understand this..

The fact is, the devices are most likely leased... An employee would cost say $20K a year, x 3 people for 24 hr a day service.

Lease a machine for $25K a year, the store saves $35K per line, + receives a tax write off for the lease expense..

multiply this by 229 stores = $5,725,000 saved, and thats PER LINE..

I'm trying to buy a $150K printer for my business, labor costs very much come into play, and needs to be compared to the cost of hardware..

I thought most people understood this but clearly I'm mistaken.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
That makes no sense..

Someone who checks out 2-3 times a week isnt faster than a cashier who does hundreds of transactions a day..
are you going to address your flawed math or act like it didn't happen?

You were saying? LOL....

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Obamacare is an attempt to answer a problem that has existed for decades - health care costs that are rising at double the rate of inflation and eating up more and more of a percentage of income of working families than ever before. Companies can't sustain either at that constant rate of rising premium costs. You're all so quick to piont out that min wage raises prices on goods, yet you completely ignore that an even BIGGER threat to rising prices is the rising premiums companies pay out to cover those in their employ!!!! Obamacare is one step toward joining the rest of the industrialized nations of the world of a more universal health care system.. because they have gotten it! We haven't - or at least the right wing hasn't yet.
ObamaCare does not do a damn thing to address health care costs, the ACA is about getting people insurance, that is all, end of line. The ACA has increased the cost for the insurance, in some cases it has gone up two or three times what it was last year.

The Affordable Health Care Act is not making health care affordable, because it does not address the underlying issues for the costs of health care, it's all about expanding a government version of what its bureaucrats think insurance should be, it does nothing about providing care, increasing health care providers, or reducing health care costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies