Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM

577 posts, read 435,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You were whining that we no longer have manufacturing jobs, while also suggesting we should increase minimum wage. So how does increasing the minimum wage, help the problem that we no longer manufacture jobs? We cant export products to countries that have lower costs than we do because they will just make them there..
STop trying to goat me into ridiculousnes..

You are tyring to get me to say something or putting words in my mout I didnt say.. so I'll type it out again so you can CLEARLY See what I'm saying

We have no manufacturing jobs
Only jobs that are left are jobs at stores selling goods manufactured in other countries.. like check out people or fast food workers..MINIMUM WAGE jobs.
There are service industry jobs - we have become a more service industy type economy rather than a producer of goods.
There are now TWO type of jobs left..minimum wage jobs that DO NOT PAY a living wage and "professions" that require a colllege degree.

Most of the jobs that left our economy during the last recession are gone for good.
The ONLY jobs that have been added are mimimum wage jobs - ie check outs and burger flipping.
WE DON"T pay a living wage to those that work the ONLY types of jobs that exist in this country.
There are also NOT enough professional jobs to go around with the baby boomers staying in the work force a lot longer (thanks to wall street screwing up everyones retirements - but they don't care.. they're still rich!)

Raising the minimum wage won't bring back those lost jobs.. but it will offer a wage to those that are working those jobs that will allow them to be more self reliant.. as oppoosed to needing their income supplemented by the goverhment...
It won't affect manufacturing jobs.. it won't create manufacturing jobs.. BUT it will help our population with the jobs they have earn a living that doesn't leave them poor!

Bringing back manufacturing jobs requires a lot of different changes in ALOT of different areas..... again.. tax breaks for companies that bring jobs BACK To the U.S and relieve the burden of the high cost of employment due to our ridiculous healthcare system. .. that's just a start....

They are TWO different subjects.. I was merely pointing out that the only jobs our economy has is the minimum wage ones.. and if a vast majority of your population only has poor man wages to choose from.. your dooming your society to being poor..

That is all...

what amazes me is your kind complain about welfare.. but then don't want to offer a living wage to anyone working jobs that require them to be on welfare.. then tell people they should get better jobs.. WHICH THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OF to go around anyway for those that DID go to college to get a better job.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
are you going to address your flawed math or act like it didn't happen?

You were saying? LOL....
I already did, showing how it realistically could exceed 6K employees.. I never asked the guy how many employees got laid off, as I said, the purpose of our meeting was to discuss the purchase of real estate, not laid off employees.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
FEW AMERICANS MAKE THE MINIMUM WAGE.

and

THE MINIMUM WAGE WAS NOT MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPORTING A FAMILY.
The reality is this is what FDR said about the minimum wage:

Quote:
FDR said:
In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
They were built because they cost less than hiring someone.
Wrong... those companies are still hiring people.

The Harris Teeter I go to can put 6 small self checkout machines in the space of 1 checkout lane. That's just good business IMO.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
I already did, showing how it realistically could exceed 6K employees.. I never asked the guy how many employees got laid off, as I said, the purpose of our meeting was to discuss the purchase of real estate, not laid off employees.
oh... so you it wasn't tens of thousands and you don't have the exact number.

Gotcha

Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM

577 posts, read 435,654 times
Quote:
how does self checksout with a pad = having a heart?

yeah, we all said the same about self checkouts as well

They've been around for a very long time..

Werent you just telling me I was lying about putting people out of work?

The customer isnt the one responsible for putting people out of work, HIGHER LABOR costs are..

And your solution, increases wages again..

YOU are indeed responsible.. EVERY CONSUMER who shops and supports businesses that practice this kind of behaviour .. IS RESPONSIBLE.

Every time you use one of those machines.. you are condoning firing of a human being.. taking away their dignity... You suppor the business and their decisions ..

What part of what is going on in this society/economy do YOU not understand? Companies telling you high labor costs or raising the minimum wage is what has led to it is BULL..

Corporate profits ARE UP.. CEO and executive pay HAS INCREASED 400% While everyone elses wages have DECREASED!!!!!! Corporate profits are up.. HIRING ISN"T.. WHERE IS IT GOING?

It's common freaking sense..... I think that the execs could take a pay freeze for the next TWO DECADES and allow wages to INCREASE while still maintaining corporate profits... ADn things would again balance out.. we'd have a health economy... they're just too greedy and selfish to do so..

Then they tell YOU that they can't incresae your wages or the wages of those around you because you'll loose your job Yet they have NO PROBLEM rewarding themselves generously..

Uggh...

Look.. do you want to end welfare or reduce welfare ..or do you want to keep wages really low.. you can't have it both ways.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
STop trying to goat me into ridiculousnes..

You are tyring to get me to say something or putting words in my mout I didnt say.. so I'll type it out again so you can CLEARLY See what I'm saying

We have no manufacturing jobs
Only jobs that are left are jobs at stores selling goods manufactured in other countries.. like check out people or fast food workers..MINIMUM WAGE jobs.
There are service industry jobs - we have become a more service industy type economy rather than a producer of goods.
There are now TWO type of jobs left..minimum wage jobs that DO NOT PAY a living wage and "professions" that require a colllege degree.

Most of the jobs that left our economy during the last recession are gone for good.
The ONLY jobs that have been added are mimimum wage jobs - ie check outs and burger flipping.
WE DON"T pay a living wage to those that work the ONLY types of jobs that exist in this country.
There are also NOT enough professional jobs to go around with the baby boomers staying in the work force a lot longer (thanks to wall street screwing up everyones retirements - but they don't care.. they're still rich!)

Raising the minimum wage won't bring back those lost jobs.. but it will offer a wage to those that are working those jobs that will allow them to be more self reliant.. as oppoosed to needing their income supplemented by the goverhment...
It won't affect manufacturing jobs.. it won't create manufacturing jobs.. BUT it will help our population with the jobs they have earn a living that doesn't leave them poor!

Bringing back manufacturing jobs requires a lot of different changes in ALOT of different areas..... again.. tax breaks for companies that bring jobs BACK To the U.S and relieve the burden of the high cost of employment due to our ridiculous healthcare system. .. that's just a start....

They are TWO different subjects.. I was merely pointing out that the only jobs our economy has is the minimum wage ones.. and if a vast majority of your population only has poor man wages to choose from.. your dooming your society to being poor..

That is all...
Once again, how does increasing the minimum wage, increase manufacturing so we can stop buying products off shore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
what amazes me is your kind complain about welfare.. but then don't want to offer a living wage to anyone working jobs that require them to be on welfare.. then tell people they should get better jobs.. WHICH THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OF to go around anyway for those that DID go to college to get a better job.
Thats because increasing the minimum wage does NOT get people off welfare, it just increases the poverty rate which changes the $ income needed to qualify, but since people are making more, you STILL get the same people on wefare, except you end up with more of it because more jobs are pushed overseas..

Since you dont seem to comprehend
At $8 an hour minimum wage, thats $320 a week income.. Make welfare qualifications of $400 a week, someone qualifies
You could double minimum wage to $16 an hour which is $640 a week, but that doesnt kick the guy off welfare because at that point the qualifications for welfare is $800 a week since the poverty rate increases..

You seem to think that increasing the wages, actually accomplishes something positive when it doesnt. It just raises the price of things and thus keeping people in poverty just at a higher price.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
oh... so you it wasn't tens of thousands and you don't have the exact number.

Gotcha
The 6K + figure I posted was for ONE grocery store.. If you dont think similar discussions were taking place across the country you're foolish.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-20-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
FEW AMERICANS MAKE THE MINIMUM WAGE.

and

THE MINIMUM WAGE WAS NOT MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPORTING A FAMILY.

These are the flawed arguments many people make when they tell us the minimum wage at $7.25 an hour is just fine where it is.

Yes, few people make- to the exact penny- the amount of the minimum wage. But an ever increasing number of Americans who are supporting themselves, or even a family, are making close to the minimum wage.

AND

While years ago the minimum wage (or close to it) was designed to be for entry level jobs or for kids working part time in High School, this is no longer the case. Now days millions of Americans will face a life time of working in jobs close to the minimum wage. Yes, some of them will get promoted and live the American dream but as a greater percent of American jobs pay under $9.00 an hour, there will be millions of new close to minimum wage workers taking their place.

AND:

Why we can say these minimum wage workers should get their act in gear and learn new skills, in many communities the only jobs available are low wage labor that pay close to the minimum wage. And with the flood of immigrants with poor language and job skills, employers whose business model uses easily exploitable low wage labor is booming.

Raise the minimum wage now!
It is 100% up to you to gain the skills needed to increase your value to who you work for.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times
Quote:
Oh please... they could afford to do it. I use Harris Teeter and that place is packed with baggers, cashiers and 4 to 6 small self check out lines with a 20 item limit.

They pay well, the employees give great customer service and still walk you out to your car if you want it.
Not every store owner is experiencing the same market pressures.

I have been to stores in the past, where they had a teenager at every open lane bagging for customers, other stores where the cashier is also the bagger, and stores where the customer is expected to bag their own groceries, and stores with self serve lanes where the customer does it all.

In each case, the store owner is engaged in a balancing act, while trying to attract customers, beat out the competition, while trying to maintain their profit margins. The model most appreciated by the customer is a cashier a bagger, and kid to return the cart or basket to make them available for the next customer, but that costs money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies