Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
YOU are indeed responsible.. EVERY CONSUMER who shops and supports businesses that practice this kind of behaviour .. IS RESPONSIBLE.

Every time you use one of those machines.. you are condoning firing of a human being.. taking away their dignity... You suppor the business and their decisions ..

What part of what is going on in this society/economy do YOU not understand? Companies telling you high labor costs or raising the minimum wage is what has led to it is BULL..

Corporate profits ARE UP.. CEO and executive pay HAS INCREASED 400% While everyone elses wages have DECREASED!!!!!! Corporate profits are up.. HIRING ISN"T.. WHERE IS IT GOING?

It's common freaking sense..... I think that the execs could take a pay freeze for the next TWO DECADES and allow wages to INCREASE while still maintaining corporate profits... ADn things would again balance out.. we'd have a health economy... they're just too greedy and selfish to do so..

Then they tell YOU that they can't incresae your wages or the wages of those around you because you'll loose your job Yet they have NO PROBLEM rewarding themselves generously..

Uggh...

Look.. do you want to end welfare or reduce welfare ..or do you want to keep wages really low.. you can't have it both ways.
Just a few postings ago you were aruing that those machines didnt cut back on employees, now all of a sudden they do..

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
The days of a company caring about its employees are long gone.. taken over by the green eyed monster.
What are these companies jealous about, and can you provide specific examples?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Raise the minimum wage now!
Eliminate the minimum wage now!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM

577 posts, read 436,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just a few postings ago you were aruing that those machines didnt cut back on employees, now all of a sudden they do..
I didn't say they didn't cut down on employees..

I said the reasons that they were put in is NOT to cut down on labor, but to increase volume within the space that they had.

As for your whole hang up on how increasing hte min wage would add to manufacturing jobs.. and your insistence on me answering it over and over again.. I already said that it won't.. nor did I ever claim to state that increasing the minimum wage would add manufacturing jobs.

As for the rest of your other posts.. I have to run out to meet with a client and can't answer it now.. but if I find time later, I will

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
So tell me.... how do you propose to magically make everyone's labor WORTH $10 an hour or more?
Why do you feel an hour of labor is worth so much less than it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago, even though worker productivity in this country has skyrocketed over the same time span?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Eliminate the minimum wage now!
So businesses can exploit workers by paying them lower wages! Yay!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM

577 posts, read 436,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What are these companies jealous about, and can you provide specific examples?

NOt envy.. GREED... I got my monsters confused..LOL and the proof of corporate greed is obvious...

Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Raising hte minimum wage isn't going to "close the doors"... that's just a line of bull that executives feed you so that you'll take your meager freaking pay and shut up about it out of fear you'lll loose your job.
"One [employer] has told a trade group it is going to close one of its two restaurants, eliminating 200 jobs."

Businesses brace for 'serious cuts' as city enacts highest-in-nation $15 minimum wage | Fox News
You were saying?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Why do you feel an hour of labor is worth so much less than it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago, even though worker productivity in this country has skyrocketed over the same time span?
Well, it's supply and demand. Some of the dumbest people on te planet can push the same buttons on those automated machines for <$1.00/hr while you used to press them for >$20.00/hr. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand those jobs aren't coming back for many many years if ever. The smartest people in America and sitting around waiting for some job that's never coming back to be given to them and instead are bettering themselves, making themselves more valuable either to the company they work for or by creating their own niche business. Those people are doing well because demand for them is high and supply is abysmally low.

America used to be better than that but the nanny state has people complacent. The nanny state has already started the spiral and the only thing America can do is tax the snot out of the most productive to try and combat that.

Recently from the CBO:

Quote:
Still, the rising cost of Social Security and the major health care programs would lead to widening deficits, CBO projects. Under those projections, federal debt held by the public would rise substantially over the long term as a share of the economy’s annual output—from 72 percent of output now to more than 100 percent of output 25 years from now—which would probably have significant negative consequences for the economy and reduce lawmakers’ ability to respond to unexpected developments.
CBO | Choices for Deficit Reduction: An Update

So, who wants to be in the stupid crowd and make your work force even less competitive while implementing even more nanny state welfare programs you'll never be able to pay for?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The bleeding hearts don't bother looking at numbers.

4% make min wage or less
That's 3.9 million
62% of that 3.9 million are enrolled in school and are under 25 and live in homes with income of over $65K a year. Get that..students living at home and working while going to school.

And what about that single mom ?
They make up a mere 4% of that 3.9 million. That would be 150,000

All the above is available from the census bureau.
Even Obama has access to that.

You are cheerleading an effort to raise the wages of working students in school living in middle class homes.
They also neglect to mention (lie by omission) all the union wages that are tied to the minimum wage that would be increased. Another payoff for votes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies