Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
YOU are indeed responsible.. EVERY CONSUMER who shops and supports businesses that practice this kind of behaviour .. IS RESPONSIBLE.

Every time you use one of those machines.. you are condoning firing of a human being.. taking away their dignity... You suppor the business and their decisions ..

What part of what is going on in this society/economy do YOU not understand? Companies telling you high labor costs or raising the minimum wage is what has led to it is BULL..

Corporate profits ARE UP.. CEO and executive pay HAS INCREASED 400% While everyone elses wages have DECREASED!!!!!! Corporate profits are up.. HIRING ISN"T.. WHERE IS IT GOING?

It's common freaking sense..... I think that the execs could take a pay freeze for the next TWO DECADES and allow wages to INCREASE while still maintaining corporate profits... ADn things would again balance out.. we'd have a health economy... they're just too greedy and selfish to do so..

Then they tell YOU that they can't incresae your wages or the wages of those around you because you'll loose your job Yet they have NO PROBLEM rewarding themselves generously..

Uggh...

Look.. do you want to end welfare or reduce welfare ..or do you want to keep wages really low.. you can't have it both ways.
If I had 100 employees all full time that's 208,000 man-hours for 1 year. So you want me to pay them $2 extra an hour because you don't understand opportunity cost. That's $416,000 extra I have to pay them to do the exact same thing they were doing before. To continue on at the same pace as before I either have to cut hours or fire some of them or automate some of their jobs. At $416,000 a year I could invest in a $2.3 million dollar automated machine for 5 year capitalization rate or a $2.912 million dollar machine at a cap rate of 7 years. The kicker is in all of your omnipotent thinking you forced those people out of jobs and created an incentive for me to never have to hire those people back.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If I had 100 employees all full time that's 208,000 man-hours for 1 year. So you want me to pay them $2 extra an hour because you don't understand opportunity cost. That's $416,000 extra I have to pay them to do the exact same thing they were doing before. To continue on at the same pace as before I either have to cut hours or fire some of them or automate some of their jobs. At $416,000 a year I could invest in a $2.3 million dollar automated machine for 5 year capitalization rate or a $2.912 million dollar machine at a cap rate of 7 years. The kicker is in all of your omnipotent thinking you forced those people out of jobs and created an incentive for me to never have to hire those people back.
1. You are a heartless and greedy employer who doesn't care about the poor.
2. It has never been proven raising minimum wage would cause job loss even I can't understand your basic math or basic economics.
3. Using automation to replace workers is just a show how greedy you are.
4. I don't support any business owners and I think they are blood sucking monsters out to get me but I do want the jobs they provide. It is their responsibility to provide me a job and a raise which I deserve just because.
5. It's time for you to pay more taxes!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
They also neglect to mention (lie by omission) all the union wages that are tied to the minimum wage that would be increased. Another payoff for votes?
Absolutely. This is how the Left works though. Lies by omission, deception, misleading numbers, re-define terms. There is a whole slew of weapons in their arsenal of propaganda.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
That's what we, as a society, are doing.

By raising the minimum wage, we are using our judgement, our morality, our ethics... and deciding that if it's worth hiring a person, it's worth paying them X amount of dollars.

Because, you see, the free hand of the market don't have a brain, or judgment, ethics or morals.

And when we just rely on something as cold and harsh as that, we end up with things like child labor, and extreme poverty, or millions of people relying on the government.
Rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Because we decided as a nation long ago that in a country of such wealth, letting people fall by the wayside is not a good option for anybody, rich or poor, but especially the middle class.
Judgement, morality, and ethics do not determine the value of labor. The value of labor is determined by the market, and the one contracting for that labor.

The laborer exchanges his labor for a wage. It is (and must be) a voluntary exchange and agreement between the two parties. The government is a third party, and as such cannot fairly arbitrate the value of said labor to the one who must pay the wage. This is also what unions do, and why union wages often exceed the value of the work being performed. But, unions wages are protected by the government, so the one who is contracting for the labor has no choice.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
We have no manufacturing jobs
Yes, we do. Until last year or the year before, we were still the top manufacturer in the world. China only recently surpassed us.

Don't believe the hype.

Yes, we're losing mfg jobs, but too many (including yourself) have been successfully convinced that there's no manufacturing left in this country. It's just propaganda. Do the research. If you really care like you say you do, you will, and you'll find that what you've been told by politicians and union reps is a lie.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Oh please! The purpose of creating a business is to make a living yourself.. businesses help our society propel forward.. through EVERYTHING that it offers, employment, and the services and products it sells.

Raising hte minimum wage isn't going to "close the doors"... that's just a line of bull that executives feed you so that you'll take your meager freaking pay and shut up about it out of fear you'lll loose your job.

Salaries at the top have increased nearly 400% - but the wages of everything else HAS DECREASED With inflation..

that tells me that the "rising costs" are only being raised and FUNNELED to top managment.. It's just pathetic that they tell us that they have to lay us off or close the doors god forbid we make a little more money.. Had the gains from good sales actually gone to award the ENTIRE company and not just the "bosses" we'd all be a lot better off!

But that's okay. you keep being a sucker who watches the executives incresae their takings from the company and you continue to believe the line that if you're paid more you'll loose your job

eventually things will need to balance out. Unfortunatley, it's going to get very ugly before it gets any better.. it's building to explode and there will be a breaking point. Quite sad that many can't see it... and this will be the one time I really hope I don't get to say I told you so... but unless and until we all wake the hell up to it... well it's not going to change. That makes me sad....
That's the big corporations.
You're lumping small business and regional business with the likes of Goldman Sachs.
Not every business owner makes 400% of what they pay their employees.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Nor will you see that.

And even where there are self check outs.. there is a person there to help each customer at the check out.. and just about EVERY Time there is some assistance needed by an actual human being ..

He doesn't get it..
Yeah..usually ONE person for every 4-6 registers.
It's not one to one there.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
The idea that anyone who utilizes a self-checkout machine at a grocery store here in LA or anywhere else is encouraging that retailer to reduce their staffing needs a reality check, and this 16-year retail grocery veteran certainly knows that; it's called convenience, folks.

Pharmacies such as CVS, as well as our major grocery retailers such as Ralphs (owned by Kroger), Vons (owned by Safeway), Stater Bros., Albertsons and WalMart all have self-serve and cashier-staffed cash registers in many of their stores, and leave it up to the customer as to how they choose to shop and pay for their groceries.

RiteAid & Walgreens choose not to offer that self-checkout option, and that of course is their choice.

With California being the nanny state that it is (surprise!!!), it's illegal for anyone to buy booze at a self checkout stand; a clerk must punch in a series of codes and check out the liquor for you.

49 states allow self-service gasoline stations (they're prohibited in NJ and have been for decades), but that's been a way of life for those of us old enough to remember full-service stations for well over 40 years.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1. You are a heartless and greedy employer who doesn't care about the poor.
2. It has never been proven raising minimum wage would cause job loss even I can't understand your basic math or basic economics.
3. Using automation to replace workers is just a show how greedy you are.
4. I don't support any business owners and I think they are blood sucking monsters out to get me but I do want the jobs they provide. It is their responsibility to provide me a job and a raise which I deserve just because.
5. It's time for you to pay more taxes!

That is not far off the mark for the liberal democrats in governemnt

Old 01-20-2014, 10:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
YOU are indeed responsible.. EVERY CONSUMER who shops and supports businesses that practice this kind of behaviour .. IS RESPONSIBLE.

Every time you use one of those machines.. you are condoning firing of a human being.. taking away their dignity... You suppor the business and their decisions ..

What part of what is going on in this society/economy do YOU not understand? Companies telling you high labor costs or raising the minimum wage is what has led to it is BULL..

Corporate profits ARE UP.. CEO and executive pay HAS INCREASED 400% While everyone elses wages have DECREASED!!!!!! Corporate profits are up.. HIRING ISN"T.. WHERE IS IT GOING?

It's common freaking sense..... I think that the execs could take a pay freeze for the next TWO DECADES and allow wages to INCREASE while still maintaining corporate profits... ADn things would again balance out.. we'd have a health economy... they're just too greedy and selfish to do so..

Then they tell YOU that they can't incresae your wages or the wages of those around you because you'll loose your job Yet they have NO PROBLEM rewarding themselves generously..

Uggh...

Look.. do you want to end welfare or reduce welfare ..or do you want to keep wages really low.. you can't have it both ways.
The wage is not determined by a law or a decree. The wage is determined by the market, which actually means between you and the person/company who does the hiring.

Keep in mind that it is an agreement between YOU and the other party. You do not need to agree to such agreement at all, and they aren't not obligated to offer anything either. This actually is called freedom; otherwise it would be called "slavery."

Having said that, you do not need to agree to work for the minimum wage. You can certainly demand a higher pay but the problem is that there may not be anybody to accept your demand because within your labor market, plenty people are more than willing to do the job at or below the minimum wage.

So you see, in the end, it is YOU who makes the decision as a free person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies