Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It is beyond ridiculous to request a 40% raise without increasing the skil set requirements or level of the employees..
Yep. Raise in MV well deserved.

Quote:
U.S. worker productivity rose 3% in the third quarter, the fastest in nearly four years – adding to recent favorable economic signs.

The Labor Department had originally estimated an increase in productivity of 1.9% for the July-to-September period, but revised its changes Monday.

Overall, worker output increased 4.7%, compared to the April-to-June quarter, and hours worked rose 1.7%, while hourly compensation rose 1.6%.
Worker productivity up at best pace in 4 years

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So if we give people more food stamps, it encourages more spending and a growth in the economy, thus raising the rate of inflation,

but if we give them cash, somehow it doesnt increase anything..

Liberals and their non stop hypocracy.. I'd stop reading their postings but it reminds me how stupid some people are.
Well gee. I guess if we let people starve, there will be no inflation then.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And yet it did increase multiple times in 2008 and people seen their incomes fall.. median incomes fell 3.6% on average, despite minimum wage increases

p.s. July 2009 minimum wage increase took effect..
What happened to the ripple effect that would cause all wages to increase?

You know, this:
Quote:
And if most jobs pay above minimum wage, and minimum wage was raised, then people will STILL want to make above mininmum wage and demand a pay raise..

You pretending there arent waves in the ocean is rather dumb.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Let me explain another scenario. If the Waltons didn't pay themselves more than they could ever spend in their lifetime and used that money to pay a fair wage, perhaps the tax payers will no longer need to support their employees.
Waltons are not the only employer and very few businesses are so large. Small businesses would be equally impacted by raising min wage to the levels you feel are fair. I am no fan of walmart and in fact won't enter a walmart if there is any choice at all.
The fact remains that most small businesses don't have CEO's making a million a year. So when your laws force so many small businesses out of business what then?

Last edited by tinman01; 01-21-2014 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Let me explain another scenario. If the Waltons didn't pay themselves more than they could ever spend in their lifetime and used that money to pay a fair wage, perhaps the tax payers will no longer need to support their employees.

As a loyal Wal Mart fan, like 140 million others, they do not need your business. I'm glad some don't shop there-I don't want longer lines there, as I go there at least 3 times per week.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Frankly, if a company or business does not want to pay a livable wage in this county, let them leave.
That's your answer? Really? So you think importing more Chinese junk is the answer? How does the american business compete if you price labor so high that they can no longer produce a product anyone will buy?
It may feel good to pass such a law to increase minimum wage to levels of skilled workers but the reality doesn't support your theory. Do you then increase the wages of skilled workers so that there is a reason to be a skilled worker?
Liberals. On one hand they say if we get rid of illegals then labor costs will soar causing produce to be unaffordable. Then they say we need to raise minimum wage so that a select few have it better.
No don't ask people to improve themselves. Don't expect people to you know work 2 jobs like I did and many millions of others did. LOL this is the best comedy I had all day.
Have you ever owned a business or managed a successful business?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
we complained.. we elected new officials and they continued the same policies because they were easy to grease.

There is a reason why it cost millions to get elected these days... it's because they are being hit over the head with piles of cash by the men in power.

Sure... blame the elected officials but WTF does that do for us now? Why the hell do we have to fight elected officials AND our own countrymen because they are blinded by this neocon mindset where the rich deserve to get disgustingly wealthy while the people who drive the economy get the shaft without any vaseline or a kiss goodnight.

I have no problem condemning elected officials.. but I'll be damned if the guy sitting next to me is going to condemn ME for wanting minimum wage to go up to a respectable level.
Wages reflect the skills needed to do a job. Wages reflect industry standards. What you or I feel is respectable is irrelevant. What is respectable? Minimum wage jobs were always entry level jobs. meaning no skill or education required. Do you raise the wages of everyone else as well?
Why would anyone go to a trade school to earn one or two dollars an hour more than the guy that has no skill or education? I wouldn't waste the time or money for added responsibility and harder job just to say I make a buck more.
You want better pay? Do something to improve your value to an employer. I'm sorry but if you are 40 year old man and have done nothing to make yourself more than a minimum wage worker I am sad for you. It's not my fault or anyone else's that you or anyone else has decided to stay so low.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

Wages reflect the skills needed to do a job. Wages reflect industry standards. What you or I feel is respectable is irrelevant.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
That's your answer? Really? So you think importing more Chinese junk is the answer? How does the american business compete if you price labor so high that they can no longer produce a product anyone will buy?
It may feel good to pass such a law to increase minimum wage to levels of skilled workers but the reality doesn't support your theory. Do you then increase the wages of skilled workers so that there is a reason to be a skilled worker?
Liberals. On one hand they say if we get rid of illegals then labor costs will soar causing produce to be unaffordable. Then they say we need to raise minimum wage so that a select few have it better.
No don't ask people to improve themselves. Don't expect people to you know work 2 jobs like I did and many millions of others did. LOL this is the best comedy I had all day.
Have you ever owned a business or managed a successful business?
The American business can just go bankrupt since they aren't running a good business model anyway according to many liberals here who think 1+1=1.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Wages reflect the skills needed to do a job. Wages reflect industry standards. What you or I feel is respectable is irrelevant. What is respectable? Minimum wage jobs were always entry level jobs. meaning no skill or education required. Do you raise the wages of everyone else as well?
Why would anyone go to a trade school to earn one or two dollars an hour more than the guy that has no skill or education? I wouldn't waste the time or money for added responsibility and harder job just to say I make a buck more.
You want better pay? Do something to improve your value to an employer. I'm sorry but if you are 40 year old man and have done nothing to make yourself more than a minimum wage worker I am sad for you. It's not my fault or anyone else's that you or anyone else has decided to stay so low.
But I deserve to be paid more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies