Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,062,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Yawn! another "I hate the police" thread. How many is does this make, 3,700?

In all honesty, what is your gripe with the police? Did you have bad experience with 1 cop and you now hate ALL of them?
Are you justifying the thugs actions?

They hit a deaf man without provocation.

Completely unjustifiable.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,153,073 times
The lengths some will go to try to cover up corruption...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,153,073 times
Quote:
"What SHOULD the punishment be..." If found guilty, It should be the same as with any other citizen. Which under law he will be charged just like any other citizen. Policemen do Not have a different set of laws they must be tried under.
Ever heard of Internal Investigations?

A regular citizen goes before a judge, not "internal investigations."

Also, its not related to this thread so I won't post it, but I know of countless incidents of where Police have broken the law and gotten off with no punishment.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,763,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Pearson who obviously could not hear what the officers were saying to him was attempting to show his identification but said he was hit in the face instead. He was arrested and later charged for resisting arrest and leaving the scene of an accident. The affidavit did not state whether or not the officers knew that Pearson could not hear their orders. However, it does state that a physical altercation ensued for about seven minutes.

Even though Pearson had a placard which reads, “Driver is deaf” on his driver’s door an interpreter was never provided for him. Reportedly Pearson repeatedly requested an interpreter but he never received one, not during his arrest or time in jail.

State Troopers Violently Beat Deaf Man for Not Hearing [video]
I am scared to death of being pulled over now a days. You don't have to say or do anything wrong to get your ass beat. Unbelievable!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,763,451 times
Quote:
Yawn! another "I hate the police" thread. How many is does this make, 3,700?

In all honesty, what is your gripe with the police? Did you have bad experience with 1 cop and you now hate ALL of them?
OH BOY!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,787,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Peanuts? In Chicago Police start at $43,000.
reading comprehension alert: we're talking about illinois state PD.

but nonetheless, $43k isn't much in chicago, not for a dangerous job.

Quote:
As far as your other comment, Police are NOT working the most dangerous job in this country.

33 officers were killed in 2013 on the job (by assault, not including car accidents, etc).
reading comprehension alert:

i didn't say it was the most dangerous job in the country.

Quote:
There's plenty of people who would love to start out at that salary.
there's also plenty of people who would lose their heads dealing with criminals every day, and punch a deaf man until his eyeballs bleed. the idea is to be more selective than that.

Quote:
Back on topic, what does that salary have to do with the behavior of those officers?
You retain the sort of people you want by paying them good salaries.

If you don't pay them good salaries you'll be left with the leftovers, like the sort of people who punch deaf suspects until their eyeballs bleed.

Preemptive reading comprehension alert:

Note I didn't say that salaries were the only relevant factor. You obviously need to have a dep't that holds said officers accountable. But the idea is that you need to have a desirable-enough career path to find a good replacement for the bad cops you fire.

Quote:
Should poor people get passes in court because they "don't get paid enough to do __________"
reading comprehension alert:

i never suggested giving anyone legal immunity.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,787,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Pay scale looks ok to me. Most cops are way overpaid these days.
it looks ok to me if you

(A) lived in a low-cost area
and
(B) weren't expected to put yourself in danger

Quote:
We had a scandal here (WA) with our state troopers submitting diploma-mill papers to qualify for automatic raises that are given to troopers w/ degrees.
so?

Quote:
I looked up their salaries, and they were averaging around 68K, for a job that didn't require a (real) college degree.
which is exactly the mentality that leads to sh*tty pay for law enforcement.

people without college degrees aren't automatically "worth less." a college degree is overrated in this context, and doesn't give you the tools necessary to deal with criminals every day.

if you put your life on the line for society every day, you should be well-compensated for it. $68k is nothing special.

if you don't compensate these people well enough to justify the danger and stress involved, then your candidates will be the bottom-of-the-barrel.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM

59,383 posts, read 27,528,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
If cops don't like negatives stories posted against them then they should quit beating and murdering innocent civilians. After all, these are the same people who love to say "you have nothing to fear if you're not doing anything wrong". That works both ways.
You misunderstand. I have NO problem wit reporting these kinds of stories.

The "problem" I have is the OP ONLY posts these kinds of stories, and what he says about ALL cops and IMMEDIATELY "convicts" the police based on an article in the news. No investigation, no trial, nothing but what he has read in an article or saw in a shortened video.

In many cases the cops have been exonerated AFTER an investigation of ALL the facts.

He shows very short videos that when the ENTIRE video is exposed, it shows a different story.

He has an obsession.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Or perhaps not, if we do what they do, we go to jail, while they go on paid administrative leave.
That is a pretty broad statement. So, you believe NO cop has EVER been sent to jail? Get real.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Are you justifying the thugs actions?

They hit a deaf man without provocation.

Completely unjustifiable.
Why do YOU make such an ignorant interpretation? Please show where I commented on the indecent at ALL other to say that if found GUILTY, they should be treated like any other citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies