Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
Ask your friend if he'll think twice about climbing behind the wheel after a few too many. There's your answer.
Good question. I've done it. We all have . He thought he could do it, like an ass clown, and blew it. Whats sad is this happens every night, in every city, many times. And its awesome, big $$$ being brought in. Not even the $$$ issue to me, more the fact he could have killed an entire family.
Easy to think you're bulletproof until you're nailed I guess.
Nice lesson for me,I've done it. Most of us here have, right? Seeing what he's going thru, the social stigma, the fines, having to blow into that stupid thing in his car before he starts it(imagine doing that before you give your kid a ride to school, with her watching you?)Guess thats the point of this thread, maybe a few of us will think twice and not get into that DUI ****, at the least, or not kill some innocents, at the worst.Just a wake up call, complain if you want.
This post isnt about the $$$ my friend will have to spend, its about not realizing the damage you can do driving drunk.
Please, dont do it.
Full time job for me now keeping my friend convinced a DUI isnt the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
The punishments should be more severe.

Just want to add, that not everyone has driven drunk. I sure have not. In fact, some don't even drink. It is in no shape or form normal behavior. It is reckless.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
Once upon a time it may have been about public safety, but now it's mainly about making money. Around here the cops have almost no real crime (and when they do they run around like complete imbeciles...remember JonBenet) so they spend almost all of their time and effort harassing people for minor infractions like riding a bike while intoxicated or jaywalking or illegal turns or underage drinking or going 4 miles over the speed limit Then they tell you if you just pay them and don't fight the ticket they will lower the points and cut the fine in half.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
See I have a alternative.

If you kill someone you get a container with 100 pills. 5 of them are aspirin...the other 95 cyanide. You must take one for murder.

same for all crimes, with the ratio dependant on the crime.
No, no, no. That won't do. I want to be able to fire off my big guns at criminals. It's the RWNJ way

Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, no, no. That won't do. I want to be able to fire off my big guns at criminals. It's the RWNJ way
OK just for you we will have a version that includes Russian roulette with volunteers shooting the guns....

Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK just for you we will have a version that includes Russian roulette with volunteers shooting the guns....
Woooo! Yeah gosh darnit! Now get off my lawn

No, seriously, I think the DUI problem in this country has a lot to do with our sprawl problem. Most bars you need to drive to, and you gotta get home at some point.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Woooo! Yeah gosh darnit! Now get off my lawn

No, seriously, I think the DUI problem in this country has a lot to do with our sprawl problem. Most bars you need to drive to, and you gotta get home at some point.
not in the city....we have buses and trains! The city rocks!

But in the country? yeah drink at home.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Friend of mine got nailed for Driving Under The Influence lae last year.8 Yr old guy, no priors, just had a bad night and got nailed. Wished he would have called me before he made that decision but whatever.
Long story short he paid a lawyer 2 grand to get it knocked down to a recklass driving ticket, is this right?
The system still got thier 5 Grand payoff, thats all they were concerned about as far as i saw.Guess my question is, are DUI's a moneymaker to the cops, or do the seriously care about the public"s safety?
I do know cops get bonuses for every drunk they drag in, no secrect there.
The same thing happens in Alaska.
"A defendant might receive a "wet reckless," or a conviction of reckless driving involving alcohol, as a result of a plea bargain in which a charge of drunk driving is reduced to a case of reckless driving. There is no statutory provision on whether a wet reckless plea bargain will be accepted in Alaska, but it's possible a lawyer may be able to create a plea bargain for you." --- Alaska DUI Laws, Penalties, Fines, SR22 Insurance | DrivingLaws.org

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Perhaps they worry, but not enough t make them stop. If you're a Marshawn Lynch making $4 million per year, is a $10,000 fine really going to deter you? Evidently not.
Judge refuses to dismiss DUI case against Marshawn Lynch | ProFootballTalk

Maybe jail time would be a better motivator than shoveling cash to the lawyers and politicians. I have always been a fan of the Swedish system--two DUIs and you lose your license to drive for life. But we will never do that here, because it would mean reduced revenue for gov't.
How does taking a driver's license stop someone from driving drunk in the future?

If being drunk didn't prevent them from driving before they lost their license, how does being unlicensed change anything?

They'll just drive drunk without a license.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
How does taking a driver's license stop someone from driving drunk in the future?

If being drunk didn't prevent them from driving before they lost their license, how does being unlicensed change anything?

They'll just drive drunk without a license.
It stops them from any work involving vehicles
It adds on additional penaltys
It makes it harder to buy your own vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies