Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You are about to see more of this as our Obama police state swings fully into action with the vanguard of the peoples paramilitary troops pushing hard to keep us safe from evil right wing republicans.

We are quickly turning into Venezuela.
ahahhaha
"obama" police state? You do know this has been up for decades? This inst a Obama issue, its a police issue-and you can do stuff about it on your local level.

your paranoid delusions aside about this being obama, and going after right wing republicans, this is a issue, Im happy to see a grand jury got it right.

And Im amazed the guy lived to see a jury!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wouldn't doubt it. Law enforcement agencies tend to be a bit hardheaded. Maybe another cop needs to die before they get the message.
I suspect it's going to go the other way. If I'm a cop, my attitude is going to be get them before they get me. And it looks like no-knocks are increasing...from The Cornell University Law School Legal Information Institute:

"In practice, over the past decade, police officers have increasingly relied on no-knock warrants, particularly in drug cases and especially in major cities. There has been a corresponding increase in the number of innocent persons accidentally injured or killed by police officers executing no-knock warrants."

Knock-and-announce rule | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I suspect it's going to go the other way. If I'm a cop, my attitude is going to be get them before they get me. And it looks like no-knocks are increasing...from The Cornell University Law School Legal Information Institute:

"In practice, over the past decade, police officers have increasingly relied on no-knock warrants, particularly in drug cases and especially in major cities. There has been a corresponding increase in the number of innocent persons accidentally injured or killed by police officers executing no-knock warrants."

Knock-and-announce rule | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal Information Institute
Yeah...there is a very similar case in Mississippi some years ago. They busted in on some guy unannounced and he shot one of the cops. And it was quite clear that he was defending himself...or so he thought

Well...he wasn't so lucky. They convicted him. Of course, he was black, and this is Mississippi we're talking about. No way was a grand jury gonna let him off.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
This is what happens when you start abusing power given to you , i feel bad for the cop but you cant just kick someones door down with any identification . I am glad the jury voted the right direction and hopefully cops will take this accident into consideration.

If you want to ram someones door down they do have big rammers for that and APC trucks , at least you wont get shot driving the thing inside the house lol .

Old 02-07-2014, 01:57 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Glad the homeowner wasn't killed in the raid like many others.

Are no-knock raids legal where this occurred?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
ahahhaha
"obama" police state? You do know this has been up for decades? This inst a Obama issue, its a police issue-and you can do stuff about it on your local level.

your paranoid delusions aside about this being obama, and going after right wing republicans, this is a issue, Im happy to see a grand jury got it right.

And Im amazed the guy lived to see a jury!
Same here. Would've figured they would have killed him regardless of whether or not he still posed a threat.

Hopefully this case helps set precedent in other similiar cases.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
I don't feel bad for the cop one bit. You bust down someone's door unannounced, you must realize anything can happen. Being a big ol bad cop doesn't make one immune to this.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:51 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Good, the PI**IES are getting way too carried away with their military tactics.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:51 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
In an astonishing ruling, a Texas grand jury declined to press capital murder charges against a man who shot and killed a law enforcement officer executing a no-knock raid on his home. A Burleson County SWAT team raided the man's home near Snook on December 19th of last year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with the grand jury. If someone kicks in your front door you have every right to defend yourself and your family. The police are SUPPOSED to announce themselves and give the resident time to open the door.
I always side with the victims of police abuse but in this case I believe the dude is guilty as he was victim of no abuse. The police had a warrant, this man is a criminal who was growing an illegal substance. The reason why they don't knock and surprise the criminals is to prevent them from retrieving weapons or destroying the evidence.

People ( should ) have the right to defend themselves against the police when the police is abusing its power and performing illegal arrests, searches, or seizures. When the police has a warrant and is rightfully conducting a legal arrest, search or seizure, people have no right to resist against law enforcement.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I always side with the victims of police abuse but in this case I believe the dude is guilty as he was victim of no abuse. The police had a warrant, this man is a criminal who was growing an illegal substance. The reason why they don't knock and surprise the criminals is to prevent them from retrieving weapons or destroying the evidence.

People ( should ) have the right to defend themselves against the police when the police is abusing its power and performing illegal arrests, searches, or seizures. When the police has a warrant and is rightfully conducting a legal arrest, search or seizure, people have no right to resist against law enforcement.
I understand that argument but.......it was pot. That is closer to busting down a door for unpaid library fines than cooking meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies