Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
The celebration is because a person had the courage to know who he is and not feel ashamed of himself in a sport culture that discourages it)
Excellent.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Since when is out color and personal sex preferences?

This guy should have shut up and play and show what he can do....now he will come out....sorry for the wording...lol...and say it is discrimination if he isn't drafted!

Which in the end makes him the so called "winner" when it comes to publicity.

What will be next...him being in rehab since he was bullied or couldn't handle the coming out!

I'm so sick of it being about gay and race.

Btw how many gays who were so in favor of marriage have been divorced? Which made the lawyers be the biggest winners!
How many heterosexual marriages end in divorce? Half, nothing to be proud of heterosexuals.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And what if someone was threatening to out him? Teams in the draft don't care about his sexuality, they care about how he preforms on the field.
Actually, I think that's what was behind him coming out publicly. He said he came out to his team last August, so if they all knew, it was inevitable that it was going to get leaked to the press. I think this was his attempt to get in front of it. To diffuse a bigger controversy before it got started.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Actually, I think that's what was behind him coming out publicly. He said he came out to his team last August, so if they all knew, it was inevitable that it was going to get leaked to the press. I think this was his attempt to get in front of it. To diffuse a bigger controversy before it got started.
I think the attempts to out people and to exploit people because of their sexuality is a disgusting trait that should be frowned upon, and this press conference did a good job to curb whatever person was behind this type of behavior.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM

3,867 posts, read 3,147,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
The celebration is because a person had the courage to know who he is and not feel ashamed of himself in a sport culture that discourages it) And because he'd be the first openly gay football player.

Just because people like him are at greater risk of disease doesn't erase the fact that society is becoming for accepting, which I think is a great thing.

Edit: Just saw your last line. Wow. What value does you being you add to society?
Agree. Football culture supports extreme machismo-ism and being openly gay is a direct contradiction of some NFL players perception and beliefs of what football represents.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn324 View Post
Everyone morning I read the various papers and it seems as if this morning, all of the main papers have Michael Sam (an openly homosexual college football player) as the main head-line. The writers of the various articles seem to celebrate Sam because he has come out as homosexual. I find it strange that the media encourages homosexuality, but then publishes articles stating that homosexual black males have the highest HIV rates in the country.

I don't understand why this is something that should be celebrated. My question is, what value does being homosexual add to the greater society?

USA Today | Sports
Why join city data and start an anti gay thread? You bigots are always moaning and groaning about gay related threads, but it is mostly you guys starting them. You know that that makes you a TROLL. Tell me, what value to society are people like you?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would let their sexuality define them. I'm sorry, but being homosexual or heterosexual is not who someone is. Your character is what defines you. Unfortunately, many people have lost the ability to utilize critical thinking skills. Homosexuality adds no value, so at the end of the day, why celebrate a man who declares he enjoys sleeping with men?
What if everybody went around saying things like, "I committed adultery yesterday." Or maybe worse. Do us all a favor and keep it in the bedroom. I have no interest in your sex life. Too much information. And what I think about your sex life or anybody else thinks about it is not important. It is your private life; keep it private, please!

Developing a new medical technique or medicine that helps people is worthy of my interest. Your sex life isn't. Don't bore me with it.

Last edited by NCN; 02-10-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I try to avoid celebrity gossip stories, because it adds zero value to my life. Also, celebrity pairings usually have nothing to do with love and everything to do with publicity. However, I enjoy reading regular stories about every day men & women who marry and start their lives together, because it adds value to society, since it keeps the population going.

Also, when families are strong, society is strong. Many of the current problems in the the U.S. are due to the breakdown of the family unit, so I think we all have a vested interest in encouraging and increasing healthy heterosexual marriages.
When families are strong, society is strong. Many of the current problems in the USA are due to the breakdown of the family unit, so "I" think we all have a vested interest in encouraging and increasing healthy marriages, same sex and straight. Gay people have families too, straight people are not the only families in the USA. And encouraging gay people to develop strong long term relationships is healthy for society and the gay population. Moaners and groaners are always claiming that gays are promiscuous, so would not allowing them to marry help to sway that?

I wonder which banned person you are?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Tim Tebow played. He was a starting QB. He helped his team win a playoff game, but so far he isn't a very good QB.

Tebow isn't in the NFL because he can't play. The NFL is full of christians and as is the media.

Mike Sam maybe able to cut it as an NFL player or maybe he won't. But his homosexuality might negatively impact where he is drafted or maybe how his team mates or the media or coaches treat him.
Tim Tebow wasn't the media sensation when he went into the NFL draft, so it wasn't an issue. But I have heard several coaches and NFL people say they don't want the drama that his media and fans bring to the game. Do you think it will be any different if "The First Openly Gay Football Player!" is drafted? Already, there is a media circus around the dude, and will be there right around draft time. It will hurt his chances. He should have waited to come out publicly and just not said anything 'til the time was right, like Robin Roberts. It was well known in her industry that she had a girlfriend, but she never talked about that part of her life on camera. Now she has enough of a fan base and goodwill that she can say it without fear of persecution. That's all I'm saying.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Children need stable families to thrive and strong marriages, give children a very solid foundation.
THEN BAN DIVORCE. That is the most damaging aspect of straight marriage, the divorce rate. Banning same sex marriages will not make straight divorce go away or make straights marry and stay married. Gays have stable families too. But this thread is about people like Michael Sam, who choose to be open in their lives and not hide in societies closet. Straight people do not hide their sexuality, both men and women flaunt it, openly dating the opposite sex, announcing who they love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies