Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bideshi

I hope the NFL passes him over.
Schadenfreude coming from a supposed Christian.
Sounds about right.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 AM

937 posts, read 1,135,389 times
I don't follow football at all, but my male friends have informed me that Michael Sam is an average player, at best. According to them, if he's selected, it won't be based on his talent.

I was shocked to hear that he wasn't really good, because based on the media coverage, one would assume that Michael Sam's football skills are like Laurence Taylor in his prime.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I don't follow football at all, but my male friends have informed me that he's not really good. Many of them believe that if he is drafted, it won't be based on his talent. I was shocked to hear that he wasn't really good, because based on the media coverage one would assume that he was OJ in his prime.
I've heard he is a good player, I don't think he would get drafted because of him being a Homosexual, it's a big money business, he will have to perform and if he brings media problems along then he will be cut, the owners are not going to put up with that with a rookie player. His best bet is to get away from the media coverage he has drawn on himself before he is labeled a problem child.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That would be YOU projecting your feelings about homosexuality into my post. I don't make it sound like being gay is an abomination or moral failing at all. I make it sound like there are busybodies who try to make other people's private lives their business. They are the abominations suffering from moral failings. Those who try to live their lives being true to themselves, being honest with the world are the heroes amongst us. The busybodies might not think so, might prefer to force others to hide and to lie, because the busybodies themselves are the liars. They lie to themselves and to society that we all have to be a certain way, that we all have to behave in certain ways. We are who we are. We do not have to conform to the busybodies' vision of what the world should be like.
I got a little lost there, but remain unconvinced. It still seems to me that people who argue that gays who go public with their sexual preferences are heroic are just admitting that being gay is something that is sufficiently obnoxious (not intrinsically but to society) that it needs to be mentioned before it gets out there by accident. It is more about coming clean than coming out.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I've heard he is a good player, I don't think he would get drafted because of him being a Homosexual, it's a big money business, he will have to perform and if he brings media problems along then he will be cut, the owners are not going to put up with that with a rookie player. His best bet is to get away from the media coverage he has drawn on himself before he is labeled a problem child.
He should not have openly declared his sexuality on national TV. It would've been better, if he only told people within his inner circle (if he felt inclined to do so). Just imagine if he is drafted. Many of the other football players will make sure that he doesn't score any wins over them.

Also, college football and professional football, according to my male friends, are two different animals. His college team mates were supportive, but 9 times out of 10, when the professional players are outside of the media's purview, they will not necessarily be that friendly with him, because in the back of their minds, they may be thinking he's interested in them.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
He should not have openly declared his sexuality on national TV. It would have been far better for him to only tell people in his inner circle (if he felt inclined to do so). Just imagine if he is drafted. Many of the other football players will make sure that he doesn't score any wins over them.

Also, college football and professional football, according to my male friends, are two different animals. His college team mates were supportive, but 9 times out of 10, when the professional players are outside of the media's purview they will not necessarily be that friendly with him, because in the back of their minds, they may be thinking, that he's interested in them.
I feel he made a mistake drawing attention to himself, I guess time will tell.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I got a little lost there, but remain unconvinced. It still seems to me that people who argue that gays need to come out are just admitting that being gay is something that is sufficiently obnoxious (not intrinsically but to society) that it needs to be mentioned before it gets out there by accident. It is more about coming clean than coming out.
And that's your bias.

We live in a society where some people are prejudiced. That's the plain, unvarnished truth. Actually, it's more accurate to say we are all prejudiced. Because even the most well-traveled, best-educated, broadest-minded among us has some niggling thoughts worming through their heads about some group of people. We are all prejudiced. And when enough of us are prejudiced enough, we act on our prejudices. We discriminate. We say things. We even pass laws that discriminate.

Being gay isn't obnoxious. It's not unsavory. It's not immoral. But homosexuality is the focus of some people's prejudices. Homosexuals have been marginalized by society, socially and legally. And during the past decade or so, that's changing. Many Americans think that it's wrong. Some Americans think it's right. And the Americans who think it's right find this change threatening. It threatens their perception of the world, it threatens their sense of right and wrong. It's scary. And the more accepted homosexuality becomes in our society, the more strident and outspoken become the people who are against this change.

"Coming out" is simply "coming out of hiding". It's not "coming clean", there's nothing to be confessed. It's "coming out of hiding". A hiding that is/was a denial of who a person is, a denial that is made to a person's friends, work associates, family and intimates. A lie that is omnipresent in every moment of a person's life. The stress is unimaginable. To tell the world you are someone you are not, just to protect one's self from people who are prejudiced.

I can't think of anything that homosexuals do that heterosexuals don't do. I don't care if my neighbors Treat and Cheyenne are into anal sex, or use sex toys, or even if they are into bondage or masochism. It doesn't effect me. And if my neighbors across the street, Paul and Curtis, like having sex with one another, I don't care. It doesn't effect me.

What effects me is that Paul and Curtis are my friends, and I don't like for my friends to be in pain. Living a lie, denying who you are, is painful. I don't want them to be burdened this way. That's all.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
He should not have openly declared his sexuality on national TV. It would've been better, if he only told people within his inner circle (if he felt inclined to do so). Just imagine if he is drafted. Many of the other football players will make sure that he doesn't score any wins over them.

Also, college football and professional football, according to my male friends, are two different animals. His college team mates were supportive, but 9 times out of 10, when the professional players are outside of the media's purview, they will not necessarily be that friendly with him, because in the back of their minds, they may be thinking he's interested in them.
Do you know why he choose to do that? Most people don't have a press conference without a reason, and I am betting it had nothing to do with the draft.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:

How many years of college or pro football did your know-all "male friends" play?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
He came out because the scouts were asking questions about him leading up the draft. It was just a matter of time before before the truth came out. I commend him for coming out because it must be difficult living your personal life as a big secret. His teamates at Missouri supported him and not one of them told the media his secret. He was voted team captain by his peers and from all accounts he was well respected. He was voted co-defensive player of the year in the best conference in college football. He will not be a first round pick but he certainly has NFL talent. Based on his life story I think he cares what most folks thing about him. Some NFL teams will outright black ball him while others will downgrade his draft position simply based on his gender. I'm glad he came out now because the team that drafts him will know exactly what they are getting. Best wishes to him in his dream to become a NFL player. He has just made it easier for many other athletes to play the sport they enjoy.

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies