Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
No, he isn't. He isn't demanding anyone become gay. He is just refusing to tell lies about who he really is. It is called integrity. Look it up in the dictionary.
Nobody told him to lie. Who was telling him to lie? His sexuality is HIS sexuality, nobody elses.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
They are using words like "courageous" etc..........Ridiculous crap!! How about shrewd??

Because he want even in the top 100 ....but now his stock rose today! And if someone doesn't draft him, then he can scream discrimination..........

I am sick of this stuff.
You think his announcement moves him Up in the draft ? No way. Do you think a team will draft an openly gay player as a way to attract more gay men to games ? Or as an oddity ?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Nobody told him to lie. Who was telling him to lie? His sexuality is HIS sexuality, nobody elses.
Hiding your homosexuality, knowing that by doing so people will assume you are heterosexual, is a form of lying. The most skillful lies are lies of omission.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You make it sound like being gay is an undesirable condition, an abomination even and a moral failing that one must confess to the world to be a person of true character. I don't see the need to mention it at all.
That would be YOU projecting your feelings about homosexuality into my post. I don't make it sound like being gay is an abomination or moral failing at all. I make it sound like there are busybodies who try to make other people's private lives their business. They are the abominations suffering from moral failings. Those who try to live their lives being true to themselves, being honest with the world are the heroes amongst us. The busybodies might not think so, might prefer to force others to hide and to lie, because the busybodies themselves are the liars. They lie to themselves and to society that we all have to be a certain way, that we all have to behave in certain ways. We are who we are. We do not have to conform to the busybodies' vision of what the world should be like.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
Quote:
Hiding your homosexuality, knowing that by doing so people will assume you are heterosexual, is a form of lying. The most skillful lies are lies of omission.
Circular reasoning at it's finest.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And Micheal Sams is not forcing his beliefs on OTHER people as well????? Isnt he forcing HIS morals????
Are you suggesting that you're a victim when complete strangers come out as gay?

That's a crock!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
The reason people celebrate is because becoming visible--aka coming out--has done more for the cause of gay equality than any other single thing.

The anti-gay crowd wants to convince society at large that gays and lesbians are a tiny fringe of freaks and weirdos. But when people come out en masse, everyone can see that isn't true. They realize that gay people include people who they already know--friends, co-workers, relatives. It also shows them most gay people are perfectly normal and healthy, not AIDS-ridden sickos. It is much harder to hate people when you see them as fully human. Not impossible--your own attitudes prove that. But people like you are getting more and more marginal in society. In another generation or so, you will be the freaks and weirdos.
Great points!

Goes a long way towards explaining why people so often offer only the most extreme examples to make their points. Those extremes are no more representative of the gay population than wife-swappers are of the heterosexual population.
I wonder, does the OP extend these thoughts to Neil Patrick Harris or Jim Parsons or Matt Bomer and many others, who are in long-term committed relationships and in some cases raising children just like the heterosexual couple next door?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Straight people show their sexuality without realizing it. Having a wedding photo or a photo of your spouse on your desk isn't going to raise a few eyebrows, but if co-workers saw Joe had a photo on his desk of his same sex partner, many people would claim he is flaunting his sexuality. Does that seem fair to you?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn324 View Post
Everyone morning I read the various papers and it seems as if this morning, all of the main papers have Michael Sam (an openly homosexual college football player) as the main head-line. The writers of the various articles seem to celebrate Sam because he has come out as homosexual. I find it strange that the media encourages homosexuality, but then publishes articles stating that homosexual black males have the highest HIV rates in the country.

I don't understand why this is something that should be celebrated. My question is, what value does being homosexual add to the greater society?

USA Today | Sports
I hope the NFL passes him over.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn324 View Post
Everyone morning I read the various papers and it seems as if this morning, all of the main papers have Michael Sam (an openly homosexual college football player) as the main head-line. The writers of the various articles seem to celebrate Sam because he has come out as homosexual. I find it strange that the media encourages homosexuality, but then publishes articles stating that homosexual black males have the highest HIV rates in the country.

I don't understand why this is something that should be celebrated. My question is, what value does being homosexual add to the greater society?

USA Today | Sports

There are gay football players in the NFL, but they hide. They are oppressed. They may be ostracized if they come out. . they may fear they will lose their job (one player did)

I think the celebration isn't because he is gay

it is because he has the courage to defy the bigots and face them. . .challenge them

we celebrate his courage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies