Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I didn't demand that he keep quiet. I stated that it would be far more appropriate for him to discuss his sexuality with friends and family (i.e. his inner circle), or he could simply be like Cory Book (U.S. senator and decline to comment about his sexuality). Trust me, No one would have lost sleep if he didn't give a press conference.
Why do you believe he should not discuss his sex life, yet heterosexuals do at every moment?

Do you recall the Royal Wedding? The Kardashian wedding? How about the New York Times engagement and wedding announcements? Do you believe everyone should be quiet about their relationships and preferences? If so, it would spell the death of basically all daytime TV, half the movies and music in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what have I stated that is evil? Did I state anything negative about Michael Sam? Or did I state that I believe,homosexuality is not a good thing to partake in.
I just. Can't.

Listen, homosexuality is not something you "partake in" anymore than heterosexuality is something you "partake in." Why is this a hard concept? Why has your church muddled this issue to the point that grown people cannot make the distinction between homosexual orientation and homosexual acts?

Do you even know the difference?

Quote:
And in order to prepare my child for the real world, he should be indoctrinated to believe that homosexuality is a good thing, right? Listen, if I heard him using gay slurs, I would certainly correct him and ask that he not use that language, but under no circumstances would I ever teach my child that lying, committing murder, stealing, fornication, promiscuity, pre-marital sex, homosexuality and drug use are ok, just because everyone else is either doing it, or believes there is nothing wrong with engaging in those practices.

To prepare your child for the real world you should inform them that sexuality is something that people cannot control, like race or ethnicity. You should teach them that people are entitled to their rights, and to be let alone from the machinations of busy body religious folks.

Again, that you lump "homosexuality" in with "murder" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of human sexuality. You need to get educated on the subject in the classroom. Not the church pews.

I, for example, will likely warn my child that organized religion is a cancer to be avoided as mental slavery. Like murder, lying, cheating, and stealing, subscribing to churchy dogma is a CHOICE that harms other people.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
No...I leave that to ones that do it the best. Liberals.

I take heart that while people such as yourself will be tolerated, acceptance will be a much tougher road to hoe.

But again, whatever blows your skirt up.
I think you mean ROW to hoe.
People don't go around hoeing roads. They'll get squished by a car, not to mention it's rather difficult to hoe through concrete.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why do you believe he should not discuss his sex life, yet heterosexuals do at every moment?

Do you recall the Royal Wedding? The Kardashian wedding? How about the New York Times engagement and wedding announcements? Do you believe everyone should be quiet about their relationships and preferences? If so, it would spell the death of basically all daytime TV, half the movies and music in this country.

I don't really care about other people's sex lives. And for the record, discussing marriage is not akin to discussing sex.

Quote:

I just. Can't.

Listen, homosexuality is not something you "partake in" anymore than heterosexuality is something you "partake in." Why is this a hard concept? Why has your church muddled this issue to the point that grown people cannot make the distinction between homosexual orientation and homosexual acts?
Your words mirror the talking points of the LGBT community. You believe that homosexuality is wired into your brain. I don't agree. I actually believe that sexuality is fluid and is largely shaped by one's immediate environment, community cultural norms, life experiences, and sexual and/or physical trauma (or lack thereof).

I would be very interested in finding out if Michael Sam was the victim of molestation as a child. He has already revealed that he grew up in a very bad environment and didn't really have any supervision, so one can only imagine what he was exposed to early on. Let's not forget that in many inner city communities, there's a huge number of boys without fathers and/or male role models to protect and watch after them.

A male friend revealed to me that he hated himself for the longest as a result of being molested as child. By his own admission, this created a lot of sexual confusion on his part, but he was able to overcome it, once he stopped blaming himself.

Quote:
To prepare your child for the real world you should inform them that sexuality is something that people cannot control, like race or ethnicity. You should teach them that people are entitled to their rights, and to be let alone from the machinations of busy body religious folks.
I will never, ever teach my child that they lack the ability to control their own desires and actions. Homosexuality and heterosexuality are contingent upon you acting on your sexual desires. You need to learn how to exercise self control. Just because you may have certain emotions or feelings doesn't mean that you should act on them, especially, if those actions or behaviors lead to harm or injury.

Quote:

I, for example, will likely warn my child that organized religion is a cancer to be avoided as mental slavery. Like murder, lying, cheating, and stealing, subscribing to churchy dogma is a CHOICE that harms other people.
Many so-called "modern" families do just that, but it often yields a very poor outcome. Heroin and other drugs are on the rise, as well as a plethora of STDS, suicide, and a host of other issues. Please prepare your children to develop a solid relationship with God.

Last edited by CityGirl332; 02-11-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
I didn't demand that he keep quiet. I stated that it would be far more appropriate for him to discuss his sexuality with friends and family (i.e. his inner circle), or he could simply be like Cory Booker (U.S. senator) and decline to comment about his sexuality.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what have I stated that is evil? Did I state anything negative about Michael Sam? Or did I state that I believe,homosexuality is not a good thing to partake in.

And in order to prepare my child for the real world, he should be indoctrinated to believe that homosexuality is a good thing, right? Listen, if I heard him using gay slurs, I would certainly correct him and ask that he not use that language, but under no circumstances would I ever teach my child that lying, committing murder, stealing, fornication, promiscuity, pre-marital sex, homosexuality and drug use are ok, just because everyone else is either doing it, or believes there is nothing wrong with engaging in those practices.
Teach and preach all you want, but if your kid is gay, you can't change that. People are born gay, just like you were born straight. Please realize you do a disservice to everyone, and especially yourself, when you compare homosexuality to committing murder.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Here's my ultimate point, whatever you choose to do sexually, as long as it's not with children/teens and animals is between you and your consenting partner. But I don't appreciate the media and the LGBT community acting as though everyone must be on-board with "accepting" homosexuality as normal/good.

Michael Sam has a right to do as he wishes, but I also have a right to formulate my own opinion regarding his lifestyle choices, especially since he broadcasted all of his private business publicly.
You understand that your condemnation of his lifestyle choices is the root of the problem? You don't care what people do sexually with their consenting partners, except that you do care enough to condemn what homosexual people do sexually with their consenting partners. If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't care. It wouldn't be an issue of "accepting". Because you wouldn't care.

That many people like you take issue with "accepting" the lifestyle choices of others you ostensibly don't care about, whose choices don't affect you one way or another, is the problem. Because not only do you take issue with "accepting" those lifestyle choices, you take issue with society in general "accepting" those lifestyle choices. And you actively support "not accepting" those lifestyle choices, to the point of publicly (this is a public forum, you know, albeit an anonymous forum) criticizing people like Michael Sam. He did not broadcast all his private business publicly. He acknowledged publicly that he is gay. He didn't name his lovers, he didn't describe his sexual activity, he didn't tell us how much money he has in the bank, or whether he likes to go commando. He had already come out to his team mates and family. He is hoping to embark on a professional career with a public component. Football players are public figures, like it or not. As such, his "lifestyle choices" are subject to being disclosed to the public. Either he can control such disclosures, by choosing when and how that information is disclosed. Or he can let others control such disclosures. Most smart people would choose to do the controlling.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
And for the record, discussing marriage is not akin to discussing sex.
Then why, WHY do sex acts always get mentioned every time there is a thread about same-sex marriage?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
I don't really care about other people's sex lives. And for the record, discussing marriage is not akin to discussing sex.
And how is Michael Sam talking about sex when he came out? Did he mention anything about sex? Describe what he likes to do in the bedroom?

Quote:
Your words mirror the talking points of the LGBT community. You believe that homosexuality is wired into your brain. I don't agree. I actually believe that sexuality is fluid and is largely shaped by one's immediate environment, community cultural norms, life experiences, and sexual and/or physical trauma (or lack thereof).

Lady, with all due respect, it doesn't matter what youbelieve. Psychologists have studied this issue. Their findings do not support your hypothesis. Period. Furthermore, conversion therapies, etc. have been found to be worthless, suggesting no "cure," or "treatment" for sexual orientation.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Teach and preach all you want, but if your kid is gay, you can't change that. People are born gay, just like you were born straight. Please realize you do a disservice to everyone, and especially yourself, when you compare homosexuality to committing murder.
I believe that human sexuality is fluid based on socialization, cultural norms and trauma (or lack there of). I also believe that God gives us all free will to make decisions.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
I believe that human sexuality is fluid based on socialization, cultural norms and trauma (or lack there of). I also believe that God gives us all free will to make decisions.
The heart wants what the heart wants.

You can't make someone love you who doesn't.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And how is Michael Sam talking about sex when he came out? Did he mention anything about sex? Describe what he likes to do in the bedroom?

Lady, with all due respect, it doesn't matter what youbelieve. Psychologists have studied this issue. Their findings do not support your hypothesis. Period. Furthermore, conversion therapies, etc. have been found to be worthless, suggesting no "cure," or "treatment" for sexual orientation.
There is no such thing as "sexual orientation." That is nothing more than a modern day construct. Human beings were given the innate ability and desire to procreate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies