Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 AM

21,483 posts, read 10,591,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Maybe if people had more options, they'd be doing things besides alcohol and prescription drugs.

FYI I took 1 Vicodin to see what it does this Sunday and it didn't do much of anything. I wouldn't really worry about people addicted to pain meds. They function fine enough. The addiction is another problem, but their effect on you is minimal. UNLIKE alcohol. If you don't believe me, why don't you go read some accounts from erowid.

And what's wrong with having an altered reality once and a while??? Most people in the bible had an experience like that and America just glorifies Paul or Moses and their visions.
Not everyone can just take it every once in a while. Some people get hooked on Hydrocodone, and then when they're cut off from it by a doctor or pharmacy, they get heroine instead. I never knew that until I read about Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I guess it's a growing problem. Fortunately for me, I'm allergic to codeine so I would never get addicted. Can't take Vicodin, Hydrocodone, and I guess not heroine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Bread and circuses. The bread is in the bottles and the circuses are in your head as a result. The country is going to hell in a handbasket but since we're all stoned who cares? And Obamacare will make sure the drugs keep flowing. :thumb
We can call it Soma like in A Brave New World.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Not everyone can just take it every once in a while. Some people get hooked on Hydrocodone, and then when they're cut off from it by a doctor or pharmacy, they get heroine instead. I never knew that until I read about Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I guess it's a growing problem. Fortunately for me, I'm allergic to codeine so I would never get addicted. Can't take Vicodin, Hydrocodone, and I guess not heroine.
And some people can take rx pain killers and stop without an issue, not really understanding your point.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
And some people can take rx pain killers and stop without an issue, not really understanding your point.
My point is that most people taking codeine get horribly addicted, something that follows them all their lives even if they quit. Phillip Seymour Hoffman quit for 22 years, but started taking prescription pills again and then morphed back into a heroine addiction. It's not just harmless fun for most people.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Caffeine is a mind altering substance. So is fat. So is protein.

Care to reevaluate your statement?
People don't get pulled over for being under the influence of caffeine. Or fat. Or protein.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,406,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
my medications do not cause me to hallucinate, nor do they otherwise alter my reality.
Caffeine alters your perception of reality.

I've smoked pot for over 15 years. Not once have I had hallucinations.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,406,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
People don't get pulled over for being under the influence of caffeine. Or fat. Or protein.
Actually, yeah they do. You get pulled over for "suspicion" of being under the influence. That means pretty much anything they want. Police state.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,136,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Only a loser smokes and gets stoned.
What is this, 7th grade lolz

I smoke weed. No prescription meds.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
No prescription medication here. Doctors have written scrips for asthma medicine and antidepressants for me pretty regularly. I throw them away; I don't need them.

The first time I had a root canal the endo wrote a scrip for hydrocodone. Since it was my first root canal, I filled the prescription because I had been told over and over that root canals really hurt. I figured I'd take a pill if the pain got unbearable. Between cold compresses and ibuprofen, it was only a little worse than having a cavity filled. The next time I got a root canal, I told the endo to put that prescription pad back in his pocket. I was kind of pissed that I'd paid for TWENTY PILLS of hydrocodone that I didn't need.

Doctor = drug dealer.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times
So the main advertisements on tv and in print are for drugs for any ailment they can create. The side effects usually include death and yet some consider this an option.

So you have drug companies that want every American on 6 drugs they produce
Then you see parents with little judgment allow their kids to be placed on whatever, primarily because they are kids, but now we label it so a drug can "fix" it, but not really since the drugs don't fix anything, just make people feel they are taking action.

We have a "take a pill for it" mentality and it surprises anyone there are millions taking them?

I am just not seeing the surprise here. Advertising works, people don't question, drug companies get rich, and peoples health declines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies