Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Let he who is not sin cast the first stone. Ring a bell?
Then Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more. Ring a bell?

I did not equate murder with homosexuality!

Congratulations on 14 years of marriage. Wait till you have 43 behind you.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Aside from it being "icky", can you tell me what's wrong with consenting adults entering a social contract?
If it's a secular contract I don't care. I don't want it to be called marriage though. Drop the term completely from Government and only issue Civil Contracts to people, any people. If a man wants to have a Civil Contract between him and his Xbox I don't care.

However polygamy, incest, and yes even homosexuality does have negative aspects in society including abuse, deformed offspring, and disease. These are things that society should not encourage or support.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Did Jesus write the US constitution? No? Then keep your Jesus where he belongs, in YOUR life, and church, and keep him out of the laws that we all must live by.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about, and you certainly don't know what God does or does not sanction. Your ignorance is astounding. Your responses, childish.
Oh the irony.......

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So many posts in this thread from people saying it's wrong, goes against their beliefs, etc. And? Don't enter into a gay marriage then. Let other adults who do wish to do so, do so. What's the problem? Live your life and let others live theirs. Easy isn't it?
Seriously, people need to stop using this train of thought. "If gay marriage goes against your beliefs don't get a gay marriage." How about "If slavery goes against your beliefs, don't get one"? It's a lot more than just about beliefs.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
If it's a secular contract I don't care. I don't want it to be called marriage though. Drop the term completely from Government and only issue Civil Contracts to people, any people. If a man wants to have a Civil Contract between him and his Xbox I don't care.
History has taught us that separate does not mean equal.

Quote:
However polygamy, incest, and yes even homosexuality does have negative aspects in society including abuse, deformed offspring, and disease. These are things that society should not encourage or support.
How does either homosexuality or polygamy instill abuse, deformed offspring, and disease? If 2 related people who are consenting adults and are either sterile or have no intention of producing an offspring, would you be ok with it?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you really think there's any real chance it won't be legal everywhere in the country within 5-10 years? If not, why are you continuing to make such a big deal out of it?
Being gay is a disease, a malfunction of the human genetic system. It is comparable to having Alzheimer's or even Scoliosis. These are things that people have to deal with in life that they did not ask for. It also happens with animals in the wild (monkeys, dogs, etc).

Do gay folks contribute to society? Absolutely, look at Hollywood and the Fashion industry. They are good with color coordination and all that.

Despite of all this, most of us here on City Data don't think its right to glorify them in anyway or make special legal accommodations. Instead we should be in hot pursuit of a cure.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:

Jesus died so that we may be offered salvation. Also, sin can be forgiven as God is a merciful and forgiving God.

I did not equate murder with homosexuality!

In a sense you did, but whatever.

Congratulations on 14 years of marriage. Wait till you have 43 behind you.
Thank you. And I look forward to it. I want my son to know he has both of his parents around at all times. At any rate, we'll just agree to disagree on this topic. I prefer to take a stance of live and let live when it comes people living their lives as they see fit, so long as they don't harm others.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did Jesus write the US constitution? No? Then keep your Jesus where he belongs, in YOUR life, and church, and keep him out of the laws that we all must live by.
While you are somewhat right, you are missing the point. Some of our laws are bases off of Christian values, wether you like it or not. Stealing is against the Bible, so is murder, and much of our legal system was based off of it.

Now I am not equating Homosexuality to murder or stealing, even though you know that but are going to say I did anyway for the sake of a red herring argument, and we were not founded as a Christian Nation . However Christian Values did have a direct influence on some of our laws and social values. Of course other things were too.

We do have a Christian Heritage though. The first citizens were Christians, the Pilgrims, and Christianity has been a central part of our culture forever.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
History has taught us that separate does not mean equal.

How does either homosexuality or polygamy instill abuse, deformed offspring, and disease? If 2 related people who are consenting adults and are either sterile or have no intention of producing an offspring, would you be ok with it?
It would not be separate but equal because EVERYONE would onlyghave Civil Contracts including straight people. Marriage would be strictly a private and religious and social thing.

I was going in order of those things, not applying them all to homosexuality. Polygamy often relies on subordinate women in the relationship who are often abused be the man who has the power. Incest causes mental defects and physical deformities. Those who practice the gay lifestyle, especially men, are at far more risk for STDs including HIV than any other group.

No I would not be okay with it. But I can't tell people how to live their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies