Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 02:26 PM

119 posts, read 313,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Lawn maintenance is my neck of the woods is predominately illegal workers, employed for cash and the season runs from April- November.

The few kids willing to do this kind of work want as much if not more to mow your grass, $30-50 for 1/3-1/2 acre. The kids have a tendency to not show when they have something better to do or get bored with the summer job or it competes with after school activities. Most who don't DIY, avoid hiring kids because they are not reliable and it impacts their relationships with the parents.

I'm sorry but if you hire an illegal you are a traitor...furthermore $30 to $50 is a pittance...your telling me they do not deserve to be able to go see a movie with their friends put a little gas in their car and have a bite to eat....Of course they do not respect you and do not show up on time you offer them less than an illegal as if the illegal is more qualified and...$50 for half an acre ....you are nuts.... it is called inflation you have to pay more!

Furthermore you should be arrested for aiding and abetting a criminal in an illegal activity by hiring illegals it is a form of fraud and racketeering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:30 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
This is the inevitable result of our greedy CEOs outsourcing millions of American jobs.

'According to a Gallup survey , 3 out of every 10 adults under 35 are still living at home.

Pew Research Center analysis found that 36 percent of Americans 18 to 31 years old were still living with their parents, the highest level ever recorded.

So what is causing all of this?

More Americans than ever before seem to be living in a state of “perpetual adolescence”.

The total amount of student loan debt in the United States has risen to a brand new all-time record of 1.08 trillion dollars.

-Student loan debt accounted for 3.1 percent of all consumer debt in 2003. Today, it accounts for 9.4 percent of all consumer debt.

Meanwhile, our young adults are still really struggling to find jobs.'

29 Percent Of All U.S. Adults Under The Age Of 35 Are Living With Their Parents | The Daily Sheeple
Well if Team Obama can spin less people working and paying into the system and more people taking from the system as a positive...I am sure Team Obama can spin this off as valuable family appreciation.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
1 -

The fact is, we have a standard that we don't want to go below, and we then claim that we need to be paid more. We blame everything on the "greedy" rich, and we vote to tax the snot out of them. The rich then leave to go to other countries where they can find cheap labor, and we lose jobs. As was stated, most people are not equipped for those remaining jobs that require higher skills, so we are stuck with jobs that pay lower. And then we can't afford to live like we want to live. So we turn around and blame the greedy rich, we state we should be paid more, and the cycle continues.

The fact of the matter is, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Excellent post. Our parents lived far more simply than we do, and did it, without complaint.
If a US corp were not looking for US alternatives where we priced ourselves out, that executive team should be fired.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
A whole crop of apples did not ripen
When the boomers go the lights go out

Old 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM

BTW I do not live at home and have a state license to do a commission only job.... I got my license while I worked a seasonal job and ate grits for 3 months and lived in the ghetto...all jobs in this region are $9/hr and mostly seasonal get a job for 4 months lose it etc...or you can get paid that much to do telemarketing year round which they law you off a couple weeks and hire you back in a couple weeks not to mention when you apply for jobs nowadays you have to fill out the government subsidy form

Are you a Felon? no

Foodstamps? no

crazycheck? no

race? no

any welfare? no

oh business that will hire you will not get a subsidy bc you are not a government mooch a nut or a criminal....so you get no job.....

meanwhile the crack dealer is on food stamps and a crazy check and works at hardees and you wonder why people can't get jobs....

and as far as the nanny state comment...what do you want from us....I do not see the upper middle class doing anything to help us poor youngsters free ourselves....

who is going to fund an uprising the IMF....rofl why don't upper middle class people train us and help us become free they are too busy watching mobster wives and hermaphrodites on tv...

at least most of my generation do not own a tv anymore the boomers and their tv destroyed this country they aught to throw it in the garbage....

everything is acceptable now everything! unless you don't have a tv then u see the freaks for what they are and the thugs for what they are and the celebrities...who are they? I do not know anymore I hate going to friends homes that have tv's I rather go sit on the porch while they watch that garbage they think I am weird because I call it communist propaganda...

Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is all true except 50+ years ago people married earlier from 18-24 years old. Now they wait till their 30's to marry.

So they do stay at home longer and marry later in life than 50 years ago or in other countries.
Are you actually arguing that most young people 18-24 in the US today can marry and move out of the house on their own?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 PM

BTW even when young people do have jobs they are extremely poor....that is why they are calling white impoverishment "gentrification" it is such a joke do you people really think they want to spend all that time and money in neighborhoods where everyone around them is subsidized by the government and make a better living then them and do not even reinvest the money into their homes and walk up and down the streets all day yelling carrying on acting stupid with loud music give me a break....everywhere in this nation is experiencing gentrification....you think we want to gentrify....we have too just because we have to live around them does not mean we have to live like them....

Old 03-09-2014, 02:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American1476 View Post
I'm sorry but if you hire an illegal you are a traitor...furthermore $30 to $50 is a pittance...your telling me they do not deserve to be able to go see a movie with their friends put a little gas in their car and have a bite to eat....Of course they do not respect you and do not show up on time you offer them less than an illegal as if the illegal is more qualified and...$50 for half an acre ....you are nuts.... it is called inflation you have to pay more!

Furthermore you should be arrested for aiding and abetting a criminal in an illegal activity by hiring illegals it is a form of fraud and racketeering...
You don't know me.
I mow my own grass. Takes me 30 minute.
Teens want $40 for 30 minutes of their time and are unreliable.

I save about $1300 a year, which goes into my own gas tank. Thank you.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:57 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
These inter-generational pissing matches are utterly unproductive and generally involve tons of unfair generalizations and that is the case no matter what generation starts them.

The Boomers were either children in the 50s or hadn't even been born. Anyway, I do agree that not living in the ghetto is less affordable now, as are educational expenses and other things. The Boomers dealt with some recessions at a young age as well, however, and they have also been impacted greatly by the latest one.

In so far as assistance from parents, many Boomers did receive it after their 18th birthdays in one way or another despite what some say.
We Boomers were born into a historical anomaly: By fate of war and geography, after WWII the United States had undisputed global industrial supremacy for nearly thirty years. The major industrial powerhouses of Europe and Asia (Germany, Japan) had been utterly smashed--factories, steel mills, railroads, bridges, dams, everything--of if not smashed, then crippled (England, France, Italy) or already half a century behind (Soviet Union, China)...while the US was at least twice as industrially powerful after the war than before. Not only that, but the cheap natural resources that had been locked up by European colonialists were then open to US access.

The US was the world's primary resource for everything, from food to steel to washing machines to automobiles. I personally remember when we were still sending food to starving children in Europe. That's the economic environment we Boomers were born into. The whole world needed what the US had to sell, and business was good.

At the same time, the government paid college assistance to the millions of WWII and Korean War veterans through the GI Bill, as well as mortgage assistance through the VA. That's when "college is for everyone" and "home ownership is for everyone" became part of the American Dream.

What neither we nor our parents didn't realize was that it could not last forever. By the late 60s, Europe and Japan could make their own steel, make their own washing machines...and even start marketing them internationally. When the repercussions of that began to strike home was when the Boomers were at the point the Millennials are now.

But the War Generation managed to churn and shell-game the economy skillfully enough that we didn't figure it out (but if you look back on the high-level economic shenanigans of the 70s, you can see it now).

We Boomers still have a problem in that most of us still don't see that the bubble we were born into burst long ago, although those of us who are ourselves looking for jobs right now are getting a clue.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You don't know me.
I mow my own grass. Takes me 30 minute.
Teens want $40 for 30 minutes of their time and are unreliable.

I save about $1300 a year, which goes into my own gas tank. Thank you.

I did not say you did dear I said if you do...I should have said if someone does...I thought you probably did your own lawn since you are in the property business you probably even clean houses for free and do other people's lawns too sometimes lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies