Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 02:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I just don't understand how a lot of people arrive at an understanding of the world.

Look children inevitably emulate the adults they see. They have no other teachers.

So this absurd idea that a lot of people advance that children or young adults can be radically different from their parents or even grandparents makes no sense to me.

It is an absolute illusion that is more predicated upon someone's biases against young people.

The only way young adults or children behave radically different from the adults they saw growing up is if society is radically changed and they are forced to adapt, but even still those young adults pine for the way things used to be back when their parents or grandparents were young because that is all they know.

So the extent that young adults stay home longer reflects a change in society, not in young adults.
Wow this has to be one of the most profound, insightful posts I've ever saw on C.D. I agree completely. Repped. You deserve a 100 reps for this post but I can only give one.

This country is experiencing a shift in downward class migration. Here's an illustration:

The Real Story Behind Downward Class Migration - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:55 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
Quite frankly I am surprised the figure is only 36% for those aged 18-31, I expected it to be well over 40% ... in my circle of friends the vast majority (well over half) of us still live at home and we are in our mid 20s. Here on Long Island even the crappiest apartment in the dumpiest area goes for a minimum of $1,000/month ... add in car insurance, health insurance, gas, taxes, etc and it's unaffordable for most people my age to have their own apartment.

Another issue is this, only in the United States and in western Europe do people move out before marriage. In most cultures the kids live at home right up until marriage and perhaps even after they will still live with one set of parents.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:57 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Quite frankly I am surprised the figure is only 36% for 18-31 ... in my circle of friends the vast majority (well over half) of us still live at home and we are in our mid 20s.

Here on Long Island even the crappiest apartment in the dumpiest area goes for a minimum of $1,000/month ... add in car insurance, health insurance, gas, taxes, etc and it's unaffordable for most people my age to have their own apartment.
Yet you get all the perks of Long Island, such as economy.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
It is no illusion folks. I've been saying it for years.

Numbers don't lie.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Exactly, lawn businesses are a dime a dozen in my parts and it's 90% adults who don't have "real" jobs with benefits, 401K etc... doing them with H.S. or college kids who help during summer break.

Heck in the next month or so I'll see at least two or three different lawn business trucks A DAY almost everyday. And these people do this for a living and depend on the money. The days of kiddies cutting lawns for spending money are pretty much done in my parts and have been done for about 10 years. That's when I started noticing more and more of these businesses.
Lawn maintenance is my neck of the woods is predominately illegal workers, employed for cash and the season runs from April- November.

The few kids willing to do this kind of work want as much if not more to mow your grass, $30-50 for 1/3-1/2 acre. The kids have a tendency to not show when they have something better to do or get bored with the summer job or it competes with after school activities. Most who don't DIY, avoid hiring kids because they are not reliable and it impacts their relationships with the parents.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Another issue is this, only in the United States and in western Europe do people move out before marriage. In most cultures the kids live at home right up until marriage and perhaps even after they will still live with one set of parents.
This move out thing was predominately a baby boom event, a blip in time. The overwhelming majority of young adults lived with their parent till they married and as you say, perhaps after they married, prior to that.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This move out thing was predominately a baby boom event, a blip in time. The overwhelming majority of young adults lived with their parent till they married and as you say, perhaps after they married, prior to that.

Well said, this is what I was getting at. My parents are of the "Baby Boomer" generation and none of my 4 grandparents moved out of their parents homes until they were married in the post WWII years. And even then my paternal grandparents lived with my paternal grandmother's family until the mid 1950s (they were married in 1949) when they moved out of her parents home in Queens to Long Island. My maternal grandparents moved out of their respective family homes after their parents pooled money to buy them an apartment as a wedding gift. My father and aunt were well into their toddler years before they moved out to Long Island ... they vividly recall living in Queens at my great-grandparents house so there were there until my dad was at least 5 or 6.

Another "blip in time" is the retirement at 62/63/64 which belonged to my grandparents generation. Ironically, the "Baby Boomers" will be working well into their late 60s/early 70s at least on a part time basis ... the way it was until the generous Social Security benefits came along and my grandparents generation was the prime beneficiary.

A blip in time ... and now we are heading back to the way it has always been. Maybe this means people of my generation will be more frugal and wiser with their money?

Last edited by WIHS2006; 02-25-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
This is the inevitable result of our greedy CEOs outsourcing millions of American jobs.

'According to a Gallup survey , 3 out of every 10 adults under 35 are still living at home.

Pew Research Center analysis found that 36 percent of Americans 18 to 31 years old were still living with their parents, the highest level ever recorded.

So what is causing all of this?

More Americans than ever before seem to be living in a state of “perpetual adolescence”.

The total amount of student loan debt in the United States has risen to a brand new all-time record of 1.08 trillion dollars.

-Student loan debt accounted for 3.1 percent of all consumer debt in 2003. Today, it accounts for 9.4 percent of all consumer debt.

Meanwhile, our young adults are still really struggling to find jobs.'

29 Percent Of All U.S. Adults Under The Age Of 35 Are Living With Their Parents | The Daily Sheeple
First of all, your thread title is incorrect. The ages in the article are 18-31, not 35. Even so, this is a lot of years, 13 to be exact. If you look at the chart that splits up the YAs 18-24 and 25-31, you see that it's slightly <20% for males, and just a little over 10% for females. Let's say 18% for males and 12% for females, and even that is for a 6 year span. My educated guess is it's much lower at 29-31 than at 25-27. And a quote from the article: "Younger millennials (those 18 to 24) are more likely to be counted as living with their parents, partly because they are more likely to be in school." Let's be honest here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Got my first job at 14, haven't been unemployed since. That's a bunch of days making money, and my bank account reflects that. Needless to say I am a major advocate of putting children to work from the first day they are legally allowed to work. No coddling. Earn your keep. It worked for me and mine. It can work for others.

In some ways, I blame parents first and foremost. Something is definitely awry when so many kids are living in the basement. I can assure you my children would not want to live in my basement and having to listen to dad ***** and moan about lazy people. That would be punishment.....worse than work. LOL
Well, always blame the parents. That's a common theme here on P&OC, and also on the ed forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
There is a problem when a child has the same skill set as an allegedly grown and educated adult.
The point is the recession has forced many adults into jobs that teens once took, e.g. fast food, retail, recreation.

Quote:
The tried and true, old fashioned way. Mow the neighbors yard. Shovel snow. Babysit kids. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Maybe that's the problem. People no longer even remember what it means to do basic, menial work as teenagers and it results in a bunch of lazy adults.
This has been much discussed already, but I agree with those who say it's horse hockey. We have kids in my 'hood passing out flyers and even coming door to door about lawn mowing jobs, but we do our own and will until we can't. Lawns here in CO aren't big, for the most part. Do you know how much (or how little, actually) people are willing to pay for babysitting? Seriously, they'll pay someone way more to mow their lawn than watch their 2-3 small children. Those jobs can give a kid spending money, but an 18-31 yo (which is what we're supposed to be talking about) cannot support him/herself on those kind of occasional jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Big box everything is killing small business and there's nothing government can or should do about it.
That's what people said about Sears, Roebuck, too.

I don't see what's wrong with this. No parent is going to let his/her kid starve. If the kid needs to live, the parent will offer to help. Both of my brothers-in-law lived at home until marriage. Lots of people do that.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:44 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,181 times
Quote:
Got my first job at 14, haven't been unemployed since. That's a bunch of days making money, and my bank account reflects that. Needless to say I am a major advocate of putting children to work from the first day they are legally allowed to work. No coddling. Earn your keep. It worked for me and mine. It can work for others.

In some ways, I blame parents first and foremost. Something is definitely awry when so many kids are living in the basement. I can assure you my children would not want to live in my basement and having to listen to dad ***** and moan about lazy people. That would be punishment.....worse than work. LOL
I agree with you. There are way too many coddled kids nowadays.

I'm in my late 20s and I have a couple of friends from high school who are still mooching off Mommy and Daddy. It's beyond pathetic.

These are overgrown babies who are dependent on parents a decade after they should have become self-supporting.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,823 times
Nothing wrong with living at home if the adult kid works or attends school. I think a large part of the problem is our culture of debt. When I have children, I am going to advise them to avoid debt and hopefully work their way through community college or find scholarships. If a kid isn't smart enough to get a scholarship, then 4 year college isn't for them. Student loan debt just isn't worth it anymore. It is keeping too many young adults in a prison known as mom's house.

I know people who have managed to move out and work a $10 an hour job and do quite well, but they don't have huge amounts of debt. Best to have the kids work at a young age and teach them to avoid debt at all costs. Dave Ramsey is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies