Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times

Advertisements

the only people who whine about black history month are white conservative males.

coincidentally, they also are the ones who whine about mlk day, except on mlk day.

on mlk day, mlk is suddenly a republican to white male conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
No, because I'm not obsessed with race like you and a lot of other people are. I don't care or pay attention to what skin color the people are on TV. If I like a show than I'll watch it, doesn't matter if it has white, black, asian, latino, mixed etc.... It makes zero difference to me.

I was using White History Month to prove a point. If someone proposed a White History Month people would cry racist. It's a double standard. There should be no race specific history months of any kind.

You don't have to be "obsessed" with race. When has being a white male being held against you?

You are never defined by race, so the fact that this country is very race obsessed in how it treats its black citizens doesn't interest you. It doesn't impact your day to day life, so you will be happy with white men having a disproportionate role in running this country.

Indeed you would rather blacks not talk about what their experiences in life are, because that might disturb your notion about the way things "ought to be".

Tell me what will White History Month cover that isn't already covered in American History?

How often do you watch shows where 1/3 of the characters are non white? And this is the USA so if this isn't what you are seeing then some one is being excluded, and that fact should bother you enough to wonder why?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You don't have to be "obsessed" with race. When has being a white male being held against you?

You are never defined by race, so the fact that this country is very race obsessed in how it treats its black citizens doesn't interest you. It doesn't impact your day to day life, so you will be happy with white men having a disproportionate role in running this country.

Indeed you would rather blacks not talk about what their experiences in life are, because that might disturb your notion about the way things "ought to be".

Tell me what will White History Month cover that isn't already covered in American History?

How often do you watch shows where 1/3 of the characters are non white? And this is the USA so if this isn't what you are seeing then some one is being excluded, and that fact should bother you enough to wonder why?
white history month: janurary, march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, november, december.

blacks get 1 month and white conservative males whine.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If white men like you mentioned created history,ety.

History is created by the people who live in a society. Groups of people aren't passive actors. History is about the experiences of people in the past, and how it impacts society today. History is NOT names and dates, though I know this is how it is often taught in US schools.

The poor people in the mines exploited by the Robber Barons are as important in history as were the Carnegies, Mellons and others, and if you aren't taught about what they did you weren't taught history.

America's history is quite relevant as we seek explanations about the Red State vs. Blue State that we see today. If your notion of history is only tied to George Washington fighting some battle, you miss the point.

The Great Migration of blacks from the South had great impact in shaping what many cities are, as well as the many problems which plagued them. It doesn't fit neatly into "slavery", "civil war", or "civil rights", so is usually ignored. I don't know how one can think that one of the largest domestic migrations in history is unimportant.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
white history month: janurary, march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, november, december.

Come on. Give them January as White History month. I look forward to see if its any different from your standard American History class.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I agree with T-310 on this ,it shouldnt be about race/color but about who and what.

It's funny how people always want to say, it shouldn't be about race..............after the fact.

Now that all of the benefits have been claimed, we should not consider race anymore. Give me a break.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
I watch BET. A few shows sprinkle the cast with a white person. Should I be upset?

I can name TV shows that had all black cast members or might have a white person make the occasional appearance.

I can name movies that half or more of the characters were black.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

Who is whining ? Looks like to me you are , and A LOT at that..

Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:

And when has being black been held against YOU ?

I dont see any civilized black person being mistreated and i have met some very successful rich black people too that are extremely happy with life. Well if its so disproportional, then maybe more black people should get some quality education and move up the ladders in life.

Please do tell us how what these ought to be things are? Freedom of speech allows one to share their stories today and has been for plenty of years.

Im sure there is some history that isnt covered
Again , i see A LOT of black actors and i find they do a great job in acting in movies and TV shows. There are plenty , maybe you are blind to it?

I mean why are there so many black athletes compared to white athletes in major sports?

It seems like you are just looking for something and you are blinded by ignorance.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I was being polite when I said contempt. Does "hate" work better for you?

I just want to hear you admit to it. When you call someone out for being a racist, wouldn't you prefer that they admit to being one than constantly denying being one and continue to make racist remarks?
If I hated white people, why wouldn't I just say so? It ain't like anyone here could do anything to me. And it's not like I have any friends here...I don't. And I don't want any.

So if that's really the truth, I have nothing to lose by admitting it.

Besides, what racist comment did I make. You can't find a single one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies