Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If
Please tell me about how learning about the inventor of peanut butter, traffic single or the mail box creates roll models.

Because there are many little black boys who think that the only role that black men have played in this country is as athletes, entertainers, politicians, and community activists. Maybe if they knew the contributions of blacks, based on their knowledge of science and math, they wouldn't think that its beyond their capabilities to succeed in those endeavors.

I will add that much of Black History Month is lazy and unimaginative and consists of a focus on MLK and the Civil Rights movement, which gets enough focus as is. BHM should focus on issues less covered by the mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
No. It's stupid to have months dedicated to people's skin color. What about White History Month? The PC Liberals would be crying racism on that, but it's really no different.

We should build a color blind society. One where we do not see each other as races but just fellow Americans and Human beings. Unfortunately liberals will not let this happen. They do these things and it just separates people.

Black history IS American History. Just teach history as what it is, history.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Are you saying that Thomas Edison can't be a black student's role model because he was white?

Not when there is a white establishment which tells him that he cant achieve because he is black.

I will offer some advise to white men. You enjoy a lot of privilege in this world. This is not to say that your lives are 100% easy. But you benefit from the fact that the world doesn't see an individual man, who happens to be white, as potentially not up to the job, the way that women off all races, and non whites (ESPECIALLY BLACKS) are seen.

If they see you as being inadequate, it is usually because YOU as an individual lack something. All you have to do is to prove that you are adequate. Others must not only do so, but must contend with the biases that many will have towards them because of what they look like.

So if you do what you are supposed to do you operate with the notion that most likely you will be treated fairly. In addition to the fact that the top decision makers are usually white men.

Women, non whites, and especially black males, who are the most stigmatized in this country, don't enjoy this benefit.

Now I know that when a group enjoys privilege they don't like to have to compete with others. But this nation has no future if 2/3 of the population are treated worse, merely because of their gender, race, or ethnicity.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if there was a national huck day-- that is for a week everyone kow tows to huck, would i be eager to get rid of that tradition?
Highly doubtful.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
No. It's stupid to have months dedicated to people's skin color. What about White History Month? .

Hmmmmmm. Do you notice that whites in general and white men in particular dominate the bulk of our media messages? Turn on the TV and its all about white folks, in a country which is 1/3 non white.

The fact that you ask about White History month, ignoring the fact that the bulk of what we are taught in school is about the historical contributions and experiences of whites in general, and white men in particular, shows the white privilege that you enjoy. You do not notice skin color, except when it is some one else's, so the disproportionate emphasis on whites you don't notice.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Which is the problem. The only time the historical experiences of black Americans is taught is when there are discussions about slavery, the Civil War, or Civil Rights. The rest of the time we are left to believe that the only ones around were WHITE MEN!
When you are only able to teach a limited amount material one would think it is most important to focus on the largest issues.

Focusing on a minor issue because of ones skin color takes away from the learning of the major accomplishments of others. The more in depth learning about various cultures is supposed to be done at the college level, it is a miracle today if students in high school understand the three branches of government, let alone the nuances of the minor accomplishments (relative to other events) covered during black history.

It is the same thing with women suffrage, it is covered for a couple of days in the context of history. This isn't a slight against woman, just that a lot of other **** happened that needs to be talked about and the school year is ever shrinking.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Hmmmmmm. Do you notice that whites in general and white men in particular dominate the bulk of our media messages? Turn on the TV and its all about white folks, in a country which is 1/3 non white.

The fact that you ask about White History month, ignoring the fact that the bulk of what we are taught in school is about the historical contributions and experiences of whites in general, and white men in particular, shows the white privilege that you enjoy. You do not notice skin color, except when it is some one else's, so the disproportionate emphasis on whites you don't notice.
If white men like you mentioned created history, wouldn't it makes sense that we study them? What part of this white male high school curriculum should we not be studying? Maybe we should skip over ww1/2, how about great depression? Maybe the Cold War? Louisiana purchase? The founding revolution? Yes, we can skip these things so we can learn about minor events in black history and that makes us better as a society.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Because many non blacks refuse to acknowledge the positive contributions to this country made by people who happen to be black. And also there is this myth, sadly accepted by many American born blacks, that blacks are incapable of math and science.
All I can say is that I never thanked an inventor when I used one of their inventions because I don't wonder who invented what I was using at the time I was using it.

I don't think "many" non-blacks refuse to acknowledge the positive contributions to this country made by black people. What I do think is that 99% of people don't actually spend a lot of time wondering who invented what.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Quote:

No, because I'm not obsessed with race like you and a lot of other people are. I don't care or pay attention to what skin color the people are on TV. If I like a show than I'll watch it, doesn't matter if it has white, black, asian, latino, mixed etc.... It makes zero difference to me.

I was using White History Month to prove a point. If someone proposed a White History Month people would cry racist. It's a double standard. There should be no race specific history months of any kind.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Focusing on a minor issue because of ones skin color takes away from the learning of the major accomplishments of others. The more in depth .
Minor to you as some one whose skin color usually doesn't define how others perceives you.

To a black man, who is often defined by the perception that people have of black men in general, rather than by who HE is as an individual, will have a very different opinion. Professional black men are forced to spend loads of time trying to be "nonthreatening", while not becoming ineffective. Assertiveness in white males is rewarded. Similar behavior from a black professional man might result in being seen as arrogant, which is PC for "uppity".

This response is an example of what some called white privilege. White dominated society doesn't see whites in terms of skin color. So it is trivialized by many otherwise well meaning people.

I don't blame you, but you ought to be open to what others tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies